Home Match Day Thread 3/10/20 L1 - OUFC v Crewe Alexandra

Status
Not open for further replies.
As has been previously mentioned Crewe have/had a responsibility under the HASAWA to ensure, so far as reasonably practicable the health and safety of their own employees and other interested parties (the bus driver, Ka$$am stadium staff, OUFC players and management). It's looking pretty obvious with the timelines being quoted above that not only were they negligent but they actually attempted to hide issues in order for the game to go ahead.

If any OUFC staff are players test positive I'd be pushing this well beyond the EFL (as hard as it would be to prove that a Crewe player infected an OUFC player or staff). As we know the EFL are absolutely useless but for anyone who's been "lucky" enough to deal with the HSE i'm sure they'd be glad to get involved if it helped boost their coffers with an improvement notice and a fine.

In the larger picture, Crewe's actions need to be viewed in light of the rising case numbers across the country, the large number of local lockdowns and that the Govt is considering moving all of England to a tier 3 lockdown. In a small way Crewe have deliberately risked contributing to greater restrictions for all. And it won't take that many similar selfish decisions like Artell and Crewe have made for that to happen. Bearing in mind this:

Last edited:
This sort of thing and the unprofessional nature of the various governing bodies reminds me of our years in the conference. Back then The league was a total shambles. it was ‘dis’ - organised by a bunch of biased and egocentric numb nuts who didn’t have a clue . The EFL and PFA should take note....

To be fair, whilst it (conference) was a poor period in our history, it was fun at times...St Albans where the the fans applauded Oxford for attending and thus funding them for the next 6 months or the impromptu beer bar set up in a school gym by home fans at Farsly Celtic?

On a lighter note, it was nice to see the Manure Defence fully engaged in social distancing at old Trafford yesterday. Sent shockwaves through the streets of Woking. The bin dippers then followed suit. Priceless!

COYYs (and COYSs)

An extract from a news outlet in Crewe

Robinson; remarks are partly right, partly wrong. Of course, the EFL and PFA do have a responsibility and perhaps should be doing more to help clubs, but taking pot-shots at other clubs efforts is not helping. Do the likes of Lincoln and Accrington build news changing rooms, at a huge cost, simply to keep Oxford’s boss in the style he has been accustomed? In one breath, Robinson makes the sort of points that everyone feels, and in the other, he blasts clubs for at least making the effort to social distance.

Completely ignoring the fact that they knew they had a positive case in their squad, which they didn't inform us of until they got to the ground!

I know football fans are bias but they are defending the indefensible here. They fucked up. We didn't.

Do we think games against Crewe will become some sort of grudge match in the future?
Seem to recall that there was some sort of grudge between us and Shrewsbury for some reason
That's because Shrewsbury have a decent firm. Crewe don't have a... well, crew...

That news outlet failed quite spectacularly with its point considering we'd already played at Accrington with no trouble and that we made arrangements for tests etc as we had players self isolating until a result of a test for the same game. Lazy/crap journalism.

I don’t even understand what point they’re trying to make about training facilities [emoji2371]

An extract from a news outlet in Crewe

Robinson; remarks are partly right, partly wrong. Of course, the EFL and PFA do have a responsibility and perhaps should be doing more to help clubs, but taking pot-shots at other clubs efforts is not helping. Do the likes of Lincoln and Accrington build news changing rooms, at a huge cost, simply to keep Oxford’s boss in the style he has been accustomed? In one breath, Robinson makes the sort of points that everyone feels, and in the other, he blasts clubs for at least making the effort to social distance.
Quote is on this site - if it came from "a news outlet in Crewe" they don't appear to be crediting the source (as far as I can see).

Create and allow a situation where many were so desperate for the Whistle to be blown again based in the main on their own Agenda and this is what can happen.

There was a reason why most of us remained in our homes for Months, others took the view that they could and would do just as they wished. The virus had not gone away suddenly yet people were quick to judge and make comments like needing to gow a pair and can't live your life that way. The minority and i'm alright jacks have controlled the rest of society with their selfish attitudes but fail to see that just around the corner we are all heading for Months at home again only this time there will be no Government Furlough scheme to enable them to continue with their all nighters and party in the parks.

People accepted they could not eat out or go to the Pub, if you were not comfortable about going to your local store or Supermarket you found alternative ways to buy your essentials yet all along Football wanted to be different as though they had a right to play a game.The desperation to get another ball kicked because Football sees itself as something special and above what applies to the rest of us.

Whilst it shouldn't be the case it does appear that since the simple slogan change, what has followed seems to suggest that many have conveniently forgotten that the Virus still exists or have gone along the same route as those who were flouting the rules and Guidelines when at it's peak.

Whatever the circumstances somebody somewhere somehow decided that playing a simple meaningless game of Football was more important that what could potentially follow but not to worry eh, come on Ref Blow The Whistle.

Quote is on this site - if it came from "a news outlet in Crewe" they don't appear to be crediting the source (as far as I can see).

That quote now makes more sense. It is simply a 'view' from the Real EFL website which seems to have missed the point about why KR and Oxford were so annoyed by this. I think we all know there is only so much that you can do when it comes to social distancing, but there is plenty you can do when it comes to testing (with EFL help) and cleaning your facilities.

It still doesn't absolve Crewe of their complacent and lackadaisical attitude to it all. I can't find a forum or local news coverage of it from their side. I know they're not the biggest club, but surely they have more to say on this. Are the team now self-isolating and did Beckles take the team bus home?

A well worded statement that basically confirms Crewe notified us late about the COVID case, says it was them who could not fulfill the fixture and goes onto explain the hassle and cost that their actions have resulted in e.g. testing, deep cleans, back to top C19 protocols due to the increased risk of infections.

That's because Shrewsbury have a decent firm. Crewe don't have a... well, crew...
I don’t think anyone in England have a decent firm , not since about 1996 ,tbh.
unless you mean a firm like a removal type firm??

Having said that , my dislikes of teams are now Swindon , Leyton Orient and the Crewe Creative Management Crew...??

I don’t think anyone in England have a decent firm , not since about 1996 ,tbh.
unless you mean a firm like a removal type firm??
I don't know. The heating services round here are pretty decent...

Still no news from Crewe on whether they are testing/isolating and if there are doubts over their fixture on Saturday. I find that very strange. The contrast with the actions/views of OUFC and related transparency is stark.

"Stories of Beckles travelling to the Kassam Stadium are false. He was returned home as soon as the positive result was known."

But the Crewe players and management that had been enclosed in a Bus and spent days in close proximity with him did turn up so the point still stands, why didn't they contact the club before even setting foot in the ground?

Either thought we'd risk it or didn't realize the risk. Or didn't care

Do we know when the player told the club that he had taken a test yet?

Our squad tested yesterday and report now on OUFC website. Nothing from Crewe yet but as they don't have a midweek game I guess they don't have quite the same urgency.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom