Home Match Day Thread 3/10/20 L1 - OUFC v Crewe Alexandra

Status
Not open for further replies.
It’s amazing that the FL have no guidelines for this quite likely occurrence, until you remember it’s the Football League and then it’s pretty much how they operate.
In this case EFL regs seem secondary to the law of the land. As soon as one of their players tested positive the player himself is legally obliged to inform everyone he has had close contact with and all those people should be isolating immediately. Screw the EFL, they'll be lucky not to get fined under the Coronavirus Act.

I told my 11 year old niece and my 9 year old son that Crewe had turned up at our ground after one of their players had said he had Covid. Their verbatim reactions ‘why would they do that’ and ‘that’s stupid’.

Out of the mouths of babes......

It’s amazing that the FL have no guidelines for this quite likely occurrence, until you remember it’s the Football League and then it’s pretty much how they operate.

Precisely. We’re all rightly angry at Crewe for their complacent position on COVID. But if the EFL took the pandemic situation seriously and valued the integrity of their competition, they would have had something in place. Routine testing funded in part by each club, the EFL and the PFA would mitigate all that.

It was the crux of my point. Many Oxford fans say we deserve the points. Crewe will say that that they haven’t broken any rules and they’d be right because the EFL have not put any proper rules in place and the UK government’s own rules on being tested has an appalling loophole that allows asymptomatic people awaiting a test result to just wander around wherever they like.

Last edited:
A similar situation to what happened to us appears to be happening in Italy tonight.

This will end up in the courts, Napoli were not allowed to travel by their local authority so they have a case.

Napoli have 2 positive players, the same amount as the Genoa team they played last week who went onto then have a further 17 players test positive. Makes you glad we didn’t play yesterday.

Watching today’s prem matches what struck me is compared to the restart games how lax social distancing after the game is by both teams, they all seem to cuddle etc after the game, you can see why one case spreads so quickly to the rest of the team and opponents.

According to The Oxford Mail, and in red lettering just in case we missed it, "United only discovered the issue after the visitors arrived at The Kassam stadium".
And according to Fartell he claimed we knew on the grapevine well before they arrived at the ground, seems he is trying to deflect the blame from Crewe

Crewe, northern working class town with little purpose now that the railways have declined, not likely to have very intelligent fans. But some idiot here was saying they should just get on with it yesterday.

Ummmm. Can we stick to football and not belittle people because of their social-economic background? Cheers.

Signed,

Norhern working class bloke from a mining town.

Oh look. He says in his interview that Oxford already knew about it when they got there. Whether EVERYBODY at Oxford knew is different - Karl Robinson certainly seems to have not been told judging from the sincerity of his reaction. But people related to OUFC had clearly had whispers. As had many others.

Still, it’s good that some sad act with a grudge on a forum took the opportunity last night to accuse others of withholding this information and potentially making people sick. Because obviously that’s completely normal behaviour.

Surprised no one has picked this reply up and elaborated on it.. Ryan is close to the scene at the club and has been proven to know his stuff.

Also heard a whisper earlier that the management at the club, not KR and his team but the officials behind the scenes.

Why they didn’t make it known, well that’s another matter.....

Surprised no one has picked this reply up and elaborated on it.. Ryan is close to the scene at the club and has been proven to know his stuff.

Also heard a whisper earlier that the management at the club, not KR and his team but the officials behind the scenes.

Why they didn’t make it known, well that’s another matter.....
My goodness Junior, what would happen if we acted purely on rumour and hearsay...just look at the 30 pages of this thread and the tome on the current transfer window. Now, is that Messi winding his way through the Leys in his Ferrari?

The only way we can play crewe next Tuesday is if they are all tested today and again next Monday. If they have enough players not isolating I will be amazed. Its that game where we will be awarded the 3 points.

An extract from a news outlet in Crewe

Robinson; remarks are partly right, partly wrong. Of course, the EFL and PFA do have a responsibility and perhaps should be doing more to help clubs, but taking pot-shots at other clubs efforts is not helping. Do the likes of Lincoln and Accrington build news changing rooms, at a huge cost, simply to keep Oxford’s boss in the style he has been accustomed? In one breath, Robinson makes the sort of points that everyone feels, and in the other, he blasts clubs for at least making the effort to social distance.

Robinson; remarks are partly right, partly wrong. Of course, the EFL and PFA do have a responsibility and perhaps should be doing more to help clubs, but taking pot-shots at other clubs efforts is not helping. Do the likes of Lincoln and Accrington build news changing rooms, at a huge cost, simply to keep Oxford’s boss in the style he has been accustomed? In one breath, Robinson makes the sort of points that everyone feels, and in the other, he blasts clubs for at least making the effort to social distance.
All still overlooking the fact that a bus load of players and staff who had been informed 6hrs earlier that they had close confinement with an infected player for the second time in four days, turned up expecting to play as if nothing had happened. Regardless of the EFL position, it was reckless endangerment to our club and probably breaking the law as it stands.

What?! They didn't make any effort to social distance! That's the whole point!

It's really weird how blinkered commentators from Crewe as a whole seem to be on this. Social media, the team manager, the local media, they all seem to be trying to defend the totally indefensible. I know we all get a bit tribal about our football teams, but seriously?!

That news outlet failed quite spectacularly with its point considering we'd already played at Accrington with no trouble and that we made arrangements for tests etc as we had players self isolating until a result of a test for the same game. Lazy/crap journalism.

Seems like so much of the Crewe response for this (from some fans, press and most worryingly their management) is, "well we might have done something wrong by mistake but Oxford have the gall to criticise us and that's just not fair. They're just as much to blame for the game being called off".

It's just bizarre.

Do you have a link for this, Bazzer?

What is it that Crewe do not get about this? I know it's natural to defend your own, but they spectacularly miss the key points here. The issues are 1. Not having the squad tested after the positive COVID case on Tuesday*, 2. Omar Beckles choosing to travel with the squad despite awaiting a test despite (even though he was asymptomatic), 3. finding out that a player was feeling unwell and had a positive test come through that morning and then not telling Oxford until they arrived at the ground, 4. browbeating Oxford into playing despite a busload of potential walking COVID cases swans around the KasStad. Throw in Artell's braindead comments and you have a cocktail of clusterfucks.

The social distancing whine is a moot point. You can't social distance on a coach, shared hotel room or changing room, but you can do your best to stop anyone who has confirmed COVID or awaiting a test result to not be there.

I've spent the entire weekend being pissed off about this. I do hope that we've spoken to the EFL about this as Crewe's complacency to the entire scenario is dangerous to the rest of League 1.

*Do Newcastle know about the positive COVID test for Ryan Wintle too? If so, have Crewe or the EFL informed them? Bearing in mind Crewe's leisurely pace in informing us of their positive result on Saturday I wouldn't bet against it.

Last edited:
Do we think games against Crewe will become some sort of grudge match in the future?
Seem to recall that there was some sort of grudge between us and Shrewsbury for some reason

I have not posted anything about this untill now as i still cant apprehend what on earth Crewe were thinking off by turning up at the stadium. Its quite clear what has to happen. We as a nation have been brow beaten to the point that even kids as young as 5 know what to do. You test positive you self isolate immediately. You don't wait until its convenient to do so. Crewe should of informed the EFL and Oxford about what had happened and drove straight back to Crewe without stopping anywhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom