Home Match Day Thread 3/10/20 L1 - OUFC v Crewe Alexandra

Status
Not open for further replies.
And at what point did OUFC become aware that a Crewe player (Beckles) had tested positive?
Must have been quite late on as some of the Crewe players had even entered our dressing room to mingle!! Maybe thats when the whistle got blown!!

Crewe, northern working class town with little purpose now that the railways have declined, not likely to have very intelligent fans. But some idiot here was saying they should just get on with it yesterday.
Are you serious, or is this another case of the reader not being privy to the writers sense of humour, at the time of posting same.
Oxford the “seat of learning” ?

So Crewe played Newcastle last Tuesday and Winkle came off at half time feeling unwell.
He then tested positive for Corona, probably getting the results on Thursday.
After getting the positive result, he isolates, as he should and informs the club.

Crewe then decide NOT to test the other players. This in itself is questionable.

Beckles, quite rightly doesn't agree with this approach and organises his own test on Thursday.
Whether he tells Crewe or not is irrelevant, they must know the chances are high that others are affected.
The whole squad travel together down on the team coach on Friday and stay overnight at the hotel.
Beckles gets his positive result yesterday morning and informs the manager.

Rather than inform the EFL and Oxford that they have had a Covid case and suggest calling the game off, they carry on as though nothing has happened.
Even after the postponement, the Crewe manager was adamant that they could have played the game, the blokes an idiot.

The EFL and the Police should be throwing the book at Crewe.

Crewe then decide NOT to test the other players. This in itself is questionable.

Beckles, quite rightly doesn't agree with this approach and organises his own test on Thursday.

This is what I eluded to earlier but some on here seem to still see this as an opportunity to poke another stick at the government about lack of testing capacity.

This guy Beckles decided to get a test off of his own back, did so with no issue it seems and the result came through Saturday... How is that a sign that the testing situation failed to deliver in this circumstance?

Why did Crewe not test their players after the first players positive test was confirmed?

Reading between the lines of Robinson’s interview I reckon he is hinting at some league one sides having very different standards when it comes to this. Our players isolate from training and get tests for example whereas other teams like Crewe seem to just carry on until a positive test comes in and then only that player is stays away. It’s going to be a bit unfair if some sides follow government guidance and others mostly ignore it, in a congested season the sides doing the right thing could be without players for a fair few games.

It’s absolutely mental that all sides don’t have to follow the same rules, but the football league is run by the clubs and a lot of those won’t vote for anything that hinders them however sensible.

I'm sorry but whatever way you look at this, Crewe Alexandra Football Club come out of this appallingly.

Tuesday - Ryan Wintle feels unwell. He tries to play in the Trophy game against Newcastle U21s, but is hampered by illness and comes off at half time.

Wednesday - Due to the symptoms he's showing resembling those of Covid, Wintle takes Covid test.

Thursday - Receives result; positive. He must now self-isolate. At this point, Crewe must blanket test their whole squad. That they don't is unfathomable. It can take up to 14 days for symptoms to show, so it is very likely that Wintle actually contracted Covid some time earlier. During this period, he will have been training/playing/travelling with teammates, so there is a fair chance he has transmitted it within the camp, and everyone should be tested as a precaution. Unhappy with the decision of his employers, Omar Beckles arranges a private test. I applaud him for that - unlike those in charge of his football club, he seems to understand the seriousness of this global pandemic we are all dealing with. He now makes an error though - he must self-isolate until getting his result. Why he doesn't do this, I am not sure. Perhaps he believed that only symptomatic people waiting for test results are required to isolate.

Friday - An untested and potentially infected Crewe squad (including a tested-but-awaiting-result Beckles) board the team bus and travel to Oxford. Did they stop en-route, use motorway facilities etc? They stop in a hotel overnight.

Saturday - c.08:00 Beckles receives notification that his result is positive. Oh sh*t. He informs the club. The rest of their squad has been in an enclosed space with him for several hours the day before and he could have unwittingly transmitted it further. At this stage, they must inform Oxford United of what's happened and there is absolutely no way on god's earth the game can go ahead. Inexplicably, they don't. They think nothing of it and get back on the team bus and travel to the Kassam in expectation of playing the game. The players enter the changing rooms and mingle with our squad as they would on any other ordinary matchday. Oxford then become aware of the details and, flabbergasted by the actions of the Crewe hierarchy, contact the relevant footballing authorities to seek advice. To the surprise of absolutely nobody except Crewe Alexandra, the match is postponed. Later in the day, Crewe manager David Artell gives interviews where he says "we were happy to play", and "we did the right thing, we could have made Oxford weaker for next week", trying to take some moral high ground by saying at least they agreed to a postponement and implying they could have spread Covid amongst our guys too. This is absolutely ludicrous, and the bloke is a neanderthal.

Crewe took the wrong decision at every single turn. They absolutely deserve to be reprimanded for the whole fiasco. Presumably they will now (finally) test their whole squad. I will be interested to see how many positive tests there are. Perhaps only then the people in charge of their club will realise just how serious and prevalent this virus is.

And I just want to say that I am proud that the people in charge of our football club puts the welfare of its players and staff, and their respective families, first before anything.

Last edited:
I'm sorry but whatever way you look at this, Crewe Alexandra Football Club come out of this appallingly.

Tuesday - Ryan Wintle feels unwell. He tries to play in the Trophy game against Newcastle U21s, but is hampered by illness and comes off at half time.

Wednesday - Due to the symptoms he's showing resembling those of Covid, Wintle takes Covid test.

Thursday - Receives result; positive. He must now self-isolate. At this point, Crewe must blanket test their whole squad. That they don't is unfathomable. It can take up to 14 days for symptoms to show, so it is very likely that Wintle actually contracted Covid some time earlier. During this period, he will have been training/playing/travelling with teammates, so there is a fair chance he has transmitted it within the camp, and everyone should be tested as a precaution. Unhappy with the decision of his employers, Omar Beckles arranges a private test. I applaud him for that - unlike those in charge of his football club, he seems to understand the seriousness of this global pandemic we are all dealing with. He now makes an error though - he must self-isolate until getting his result. Why he doesn't do this, I am not sure. Perhaps he believed that only symptomatic people waiting for test results are required to isolate.

Friday - An untested and potentially infected Crewe squad (including a tested-but-awaiting-result Beckles) board the team bus and travel to Oxford. Did they stop en-route, use motorway facilities etc? They stop in a hotel overnight.

Saturday - c.09:00 Beckles receives notification that his result is positive. Oh sh*t. He informs the club. The rest of their squad has been in an enclosed space with him for several hours the day before and he could have unwittingly transmitted it further. At this stage, they must inform Oxford United of what's happened and there is absolutely no way on god's earth the game can go ahead. Inexplicably, they don't. They think nothing of it and get back on the team bus and travel to the Kassam in expectation of playing the game. The players enter the changing rooms and mingle with our squad as they would on any other ordinary matchday. Oxford then become aware of the details and, flabbergasted by the actions of the Crewe hierarchy, contact the relevant footballing authorities to seek advice. To the surprise of absolutely nobody except Crewe Alexandra, the match is postponed. Later in the day, Crewe manager David Artell gives interviews where he says "we were happy to play", and "we did the right thing, we could have made Oxford weaker for next week", trying to take some moral high ground by saying at least they agreed to a postponement and implying they could have spread Covid amongst our guys too. This is absolutely ludicrous, and the bloke is a nearderthal.

Crewe took the wrong decision at every single turn. They absolutely deserve to be reprimanded for the whole fiasco. Presumably they will now (finally) test their whole squad. I will be interested to see how many positive tests there are. Perhaps only then the people in charge of their club will realise just how serious this virus is.

And I just want to say that I am proud that the people in charge of our football club puts the welfare of its players and staff, and their respective families, first before anything.
You would think any teams that Crewe are due to play soon will be concerned!

Surely the only relevant questions are:
Why did Beckles chose to not self isolate until he got his test results?
Why did Crewe bring their team to the Kassam when they were aware one of their players had been tested positive?
Is it possible if they did not turn up with such short notice they would have been made to forfeit and I think they were sort of hoping nobody would find out. Ultimately Beckles is just as in the wrong he should have refused to travel when he’d been tested.

But, when, exactly did Beckles inform his club he was positive? This does make a difference. He could have dropped the bombshell as the team coach drew up at the home of English football. If so, then Crewe deserve some limited sympathy.

Yes, they should all have tested for Covid after the Tuesday game, anyway, but Crewe apparently do not have a pot to P**s in.

Funnily enough they did have money to pay for an overnight stay though.

Crewe come across as a pub team outfit, which ever way you look at it.

But, when, exactly did Beckles inform his club he was positive? This does make a difference. He could have dropped the bombshell as the team coach drew up at the home of English football. If so, then Crewe deserve some limited sympathy.

:Very early on Saturday morning according to the Crewe manager, 7:40 am..
Certainly time enough for the match to be postponed without going to the ground.

He sounds gutted that we'd already found out that they had had a positive result.

One of the those Crewe fans who responded to your post on another forum, wrote this about it and clearly doesn't get it:

"Besides, only around 500 people under the age of 35 with no underlying health conditions have died from this disease. Get a grip."
What forum was this Marked Ox?

Another aspect of this that I think is being overlooked is that only Wintle and Beckles have tested positive. Crewe, as a group of men, have all been training, travelling and playing together all season. Realistically, that whole squad has Covid. It’s not as if, if Wintle were patient zero, he gave it to Beckles and Beckles only.

So Crewe basically brought a bus load of Covid carriers to our stadium and let them mingle around for a couple of hours. It’s staggering.

Another aspect of this that I think is being overlooked is that only Wintle and Beckles have tested positive. Crewe, as a group of men, have all been training, travelling and playing together all season. Realistically, that whole squad has Covid. It’s not as if, if Wintle were patient zero, he gave it to Beckles and Beckles only.

So Crewe basically brought a bus load of Covid carriers to our stadium and let them mingle around for a couple of hours. It’s staggering.

Yep, they had a player (not Winkle, another one) go off last Tuesday, who will be out for about 10 days. Very suspicious.

Listen to the Crewe managers Oxford preview, he mentions Covid at 4:10, he knows the likelihood is that his squad have it.

What forum was this Marked Ox?

• React
Reactions: UTM
:Very early on Saturday morning according to the Crewe manager, 7:40 am..
Certainly time enough for the match to be postponed without going to the ground.

He sounds gutted that we'd already found out that they had had a positive result.

7.40am - so just the six hours before arriving at the ground to advise OUFC! OM article (links are beyond me) suggest Crewe may not have broken any rules though.

Bet the EFL had the office carpet lifted and broom out in record time with this one!

Worth looking at if only for an appearance by Eric Read to brilliantly highlight mask wearing failure!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom