Away Match Day Thread +++ 23/02/2019 Blackpool v OUFC Match Day Thread +++

They hammered in crosses but alot of there crosses went past everybody and out the other side of the box. The ones that did male it into the box didn't really trouble us, they were doubt with well.

One thing that did cause us issues was long throws. Last ten minutes they launched every throw into the box and there were 1 or 2 long throws that we got away with after the ball pinged around the box for a good 30 seconds.

The fact that they failed to cross well or get on the end of them was the only reason we won. Not because we played well or put in a shift.

Our defence is awful. Full backs are especially bad. Too many crosses into the box. Too many players getting in behind them. Whoever plays in front of them is constantly helping them out and so often very deep. Especially Graham.

Nelson is gone and although Dickie is young and shows potential he is exposed.

So I agree in the summer we would need at least 3 central defenders. And I would like to see two left backs and two right. Basically a new defence!

Given our recruitment in the last two windows I have no trust in the club.

So I agree in the summer we would need at least 3 central defenders. And I would like to see two left backs and two right. Basically a new defence!
if that happens I hope they come in early and get plenty of matches together in pre season. build a solid defence and then make strikers a priority

The fact that they failed to cross well or get on the end of them was the only reason we won. Not because we played well or put in a shift.

Our defence is awful. Full backs are especially bad. Too many crosses into the box. Too many players getting in behind them. Whoever plays in front of them is constantly helping them out and so often very deep. Especially Graham.

Nelson is gone and although Dickie is young and shows potential he is exposed.

Given our recruitment in the last two windows I have no trust in the club.
I’m afraid you’re right about their crossing! We were lucky.

What chances did they create from crosses? I can think of a single decent one

That was only because their forwards had an off day. It they were on form we could have lost by a big score. So we were lucky that way

And you know what, I couldn't give a damn!

THREE POINTS towards safety

I think the point is they actually managed to deliver them in. Sometimes with two men on them! That the cross was not blocked or stopped altogether. No they didn’t get on the end of them luckily or the final ball was poor.

It’s also not just against Blackpool either. All season long.

Not so. We coped with their attack very well. Blackpool had run out of ideas by the end.I do accept however that we weren’t playing against a very potent front 2.

That’s an incorrect summation Mr Rice. Blackpool did not threaten at all in first half. Second half they had lots of pressure but very few scoring opportunities .

You are joking right. They were playing in tangerine by the way. They were the ones constantly exposing us down the flanks. Knocking ball after ball into our box. Driving through our midfield and looking dangerous. Until on one of our few raids forward we won a free kick and put it away superbly.
We were playing in blue.

its all ifs and buts. they didn’t score from any crosses and we won. doesn’t mean we don’t need to tighten up in defence though

They skinned our full backs too many times for my liking. They had a couple of nearly moments heading over from a couple of yards, under pressure from ruffels and a dodgy backpass from long that i remember. Dickie had our best chance heading in to the side netting.

That’s exactly my point! We were fortunate that so few of their crosses caused us any danger as they were generally misplaced.

They skinned our full backs too many times for my liking. They had a couple of nearly moments heading over from a couple of yards, under pressure from ruffels and a dodgy backpass from long that i remember. Dickie had our best chance heading in to the side netting.

Long has a lot of huff and puff, but is lacking in ability, shown up when teams play well against us. There is always a mistake around the corner.

You are joking right. They were playing in tangerine by the way. They were the ones constantly exposing us down the flanks. Knocking ball after ball into our box. Driving through our midfield and looking dangerous. Until on one of our few raids forward we won a free kick and put it away superbly.
We were playing in blue.
No. I am not joking. We played quite similarly to the way we played against Man City when we let the oppo have the flanks and packed the penalty area. They were never really dangerous; it was not a lucky win. Nobody in the 800 travelling support was walking away saying we dodged a bullet there.

Just seeing it as I saw it, footballs a game of opinions..

No. I am not joking. We played quite similarly to the way we played against Man City when we let the oppo have the flanks and packed the penalty area. They were never really dangerous; it was not a lucky win. Nobody in the 800 travelling support was walking away saying we dodged a bullet there.

You’ve spoken to all 800 of us?

Maybe football is a game of opinions. In this case yours is wrong. To compare the game against one of the best teams in the world to the one at Blackpool blimey.
We didn’t play like that due to tactics they mullered us for long spells. And had us pinned in our half.
We failed to stop hardly any of their crosses and they got into those positions too easily.
Even their manager said so?
Great we got the 3 points but that was a lucky win. We didn’t play well.

Where’s the guy with all the stats about % goal chance conversion!
You can kick the ball into the box as much as you like but a goals a goal!
How many times have we had more shots than other teams and lost? It’s about time we won a game we didn’t play well in or however you want to spin it.

Maybe football is a game of opinions. In this case yours is wrong. To compare the game against one of the best teams in the world to the one at Blackpool blimey.
We didn’t play like that due to tactics they mullered us for long spells. And had us pinned in our half.
We failed to stop hardly any of their crosses and they got into those positions too easily.
No you’re wrong. ?

We were never mullered on Saturday (You mean like Barnsley and Portsmouth away? )

That was never a lucky win.

Bet we play like this in a number of our remaining matches and bet we win a few more away games.

It was an encouraging spirited shithouse of a performance.

3 points is what it’s all about, if Blackpool were having an off day then is that Oxfords fault? We had a great day at Burton but couldn’t find the back of the net, every club are entitled to have off days and their opposition may have been lucky but that’s what it’s all about. We got 3 points now we move on......Scunthorpe and hopefully another 3 points whether because we were brilliant or just very lucky.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom