Home Match Day Thread +++ 27/04/2019 OUFC v Doncaster Rovers Match Day Thread +++

Sinclait was onside and debatable for a handball from Henry
I had a straight view of Henry controlling it and was categorically not handball. Shoulder. How the ref thought he could see it from his position beyond me. He guessed in favour of the defending team which is bad refereeing. Shame to see such a skillful goal chalked off.

Sinclait was onside and debatable for a handball from Henry

Watching live from the East Stand, Henry's did not look close to handball as it looked like it hit his tit. Awful officiating coupled with the bizarre decision to give a free kick against Hanson when he controlled the ball and had a shot with nobody near him, unless it is now a foul to kick a ball against an opponent.

A few thoughts:

- Awful refereeing in the 2nd half. I thought he had a good game in the 1st half, letting the game play and pretty consistent but then the 2nd half happened. I thought Karl Robinson was quite restrained in his interview after the game about the officials compared to previosu occasions so I think KR is improving on that as well.

- Pleased for James Henry getting his goal. He really looked chuffed about it.

- Cracking team goal for Marcus Browne's goal and he took it so well. Excellent pass by Jerome Sinclair and I hope we get him back. Jerome Sinclair can be very disappointed that goal got chalked off as can James Henry who just look bemused at the Ref's decision for his disallowed goal.

- Credit to Nico Jones for the way he didn't let the own goal affect the rest of his performance. He will have learnt so much from playing against Marquis who tried and failed to bully Jones, to the point NJ absolutely crunched him with one challenge which Marquis obviously didn't like. He as expected made some mistakes but he did some very good bits of play going forward and in defence, with his composure on the ball standing out at times.

- Cameron Brannagan, as well as a quality player on the pitch, interviews very well. It is clear he has developed over this season, and by his own admission, so exciting for next season (assuming we don't get a silly offer). I just wish he would have a few more long range shots when central in front of goal as he has a cracking shot on him. I loved CB's comment about ruining Luton's party next week, that is the attitude I want in my team's players.

- Jamie Hanson demonstrated yesterday that there is potentially a very good midfielder there for us and maybe it has taken him a while to settle.

- Very pleased to see Rob Hall back playing yesterday. I would want the club to look at him through pre-season though before considering a contract and on a greater weighting towards appearance fees should he get offered one.

- This recent run has left me quietly optimistic about a better season next season. I await the other foot to fall in the summer. :cautious:

There were four very odd/wrong/debatable decisions by the officials:-
Sinclairs offside goal - Which photos indicate was definitely not off side
Henry's handball goal - Which most people say was shoulder or chest, but what is obvious the ref couldn't see properly and guessed.
Hanson's (??) long range, hard, shot which hit defender (might be handball) but free kick given to Donny.
Foul on Whyte on edge of area after 50 yard run.
Hopefully all will be clearly shown on the extended highlights.

A few things to mention
Not sure who else noticed but after the whistle Marquis put his arm around Nico
I thought we were excellent yesterday
Browne was great as was Whyte could have been joint MoM
The offside goal cleanly wasn’t
Henry’s goal I’m not sure but was still a brilliant ‘goal’
With had other chances Henry, Sykes to name 2 and I’m sure, well hope, that had the game really mattered they would have passed rather than shoot, potential tap ins had they done so
My mate a Donny fan says we should have won.
2 unfortunate goals against us, Nico had to go out to the left to cover there, not sure where Ruffles was, this left the middle empty of support, this isn’t a criticism of Nico, he had to go out there, and a very unlucky og
That aside he did very very well after he had settled down, looked composed.
A very very good performance today, and on that performance together with how we have been playing recently, WE deserve to be in the play offs, at the very least
Roll on next season, would like to keep Sinclair and Whyte

reckon whether they stay up or drop Adams is on borrowed time there?

Possibly but as he has another 4 years on his contract, whether they can afford to pay him off is another thing. If they go down, they may have to take the hit as season ticket sales are being hit by him still being there and L2 football with him would stop plenty more buying them I reckon.

Possibly but as he has another 4 years on his contract, whether they can afford to pay him off is another thing. If they go down, they may have to take the hit as season ticket sales are being hit by him still being there and L2 football with him would stop plenty more buying them I reckon.
Didnt know he had 4 years on his contract o_O

Felt slightly embarrassed myself with the response but you reap what you sow, they need to engage with the fan base more, just be as honest as you possibly can allowing for any confidences that have to be kept.

For months people having been pinning hope on Erick investing, pushing us forward, or taking a bigger role. He arrives for his first game and is booed. I’m not sure it will have convinced him to pump millions in

When will the refs realise people Dive to gain a penalty ala Marquis, the amount of diving he does against the opposition no matter who it is to get a penalty, they banned Hyltin earlier in the season for that and they should start carrying out the rule regarding diving.

When will the refs realise people Dive to gain a penalty ala Marquis, the amount of diving he does against the opposition no matter who it is to get a penalty, they banned Hyltin earlier in the season for that and they should start carrying out the rule regarding diving.
While I agree with that (diving, or 'feeling contact and going down'! is cheating) while the current refs and linos we get seem to have the greatest difficulty in applying even the simplest rules correctly (as per the two 'goals' yesterday) or consistently, I have little faith in them being able to distinguish between diving, being fouled, tripping, being tripped etc in the penalty area.
While we are on about how the laws are applied - does anyone else think that 'shielding the ball out for a goal kick' has now got ridiculous? Yesterday, one of their players was doing this, standing in the way and then barging our player over when he tried to go around him to go for the ball. (Not a criticism of the Donny defender really as all defenders seem to do similar). It seems to me that if you did the same thing anywhere else on the pitch - obstruction and then barging a player over - it would be two fouls!

While I agree with that (diving, or 'feeling contact and going down'! is cheating) while the current refs and linos we get seem to have the greatest difficulty in applying even the simplest rules correctly (as per the two 'goals' yesterday) or consistently, I have little faith in them being able to distinguish between diving, being fouled, tripping, being tripped etc in the penalty area.
While we are on about how the laws are applied - does anyone else think that 'shielding the ball out for a goal kick' has now got ridiculous? Yesterday, one of their players was doing this, standing in the way and then barging our player over when he tried to go around him to go for the ball. (Not a criticism of the Donny defender really as all defenders seem to do similar). It seems to me that if you did the same thing anywhere else on the pitch - obstruction and then barging a player over - it would be two fouls!

On the shielding I agree and it always comes up in conversation with my dad.
I think if you’ve not touched the ball you shouldn’t be classed as in control of the ball so it would be obstruction!

Back
Top Bottom