Transfer News 2024 January Window Preview

Status
Not open for further replies.
It says something about @MustardYellow recent introduction on here that I look forward to posts from @Mellowyellow or Kip to lighten the mood!

Typical of a generation that sounds more time researching stats on FIFA rather than watching the game and then wonders why the modern game is crap!
All the cool kids research stats on Championship Manager Football Manager

It says something about @MustardYellow recent introduction on here that I look forward to posts from @Mellowyellow or Kip to lighten the mood!

Typical of a generation that sounds more time researching stats on FIFA rather than watching the game and then wonders why the modern game is crap!
I mean, every stat I've said is true...

I'm really not sure what your point is here?

You haven't watched him in that position yet you profess to know how good or not he is at playing as a winger based on 1 metric so very relevant. You don't know how he was asked to play for these teams or what the team tactics were etc etc. And he played wide more than once in the Championship, a higher level, so they thought he could play wide. I don't know how good or not he is as a winger but then I'm not pronouncing judgement based on 1 stat.

I'll go all sarcastic as well and suggest you should produce scouting reports for Oxford based on this amazing ability to judge a player based on 1 stat. I'm sure it will help them immensely and we can save money by letting Ed Waldron and his team go.....
The metric is an important one. The effectiveness of a winger is best indicated in their output, and his output is and has been poor his entire career.

Of course there are other things that go into it, but my whole point was that based on what we know from his career and have seen whilst he's been with us, we have very little evidence that he'll be a good winger worthy of starting in that position. Even though he hasn't started as the winger, we've seen him in wide positions since he's been with us and hasn't done much. We haven't seen him burst past players, beat them in one-on-ones, put consistently good balls in etc. We've seen him enough to have a good idea of his attributes, and I think it would be disingenuous to suggest what we've seen from him in any way suggests he'll set the world alight on the wing.

You can't say that just because we haven't seen him specifically start in that position then we can't have an opinion.

The metric is an important one. The effectiveness of a winger is best indicated in their output, and his output is and has been poor his entire career.

Of course there are other things that go into it, but my whole point was that based on what we know from his career and have seen whilst he's been with us, we have very little evidence that he'll be a good winger worthy of starting in that position. Even though he hasn't started as the winger, we've seen him in wide positions since he's been with us and hasn't done much. We haven't seen him burst past players, beat them in one-on-ones, put consistently good balls in etc. We've seen him enough to have a good idea of his attributes, and I think it would be disingenuous to suggest what we've seen from him in any way suggests he'll set the world alight on the wing.

You can't say that just because we haven't seen him specifically start in that position then we can't have an opinion.

You've still made what seems an absolute judgement based on one stat. You can have opinion, doesn't mean it can't be challenged as it has for being weak in others' opinion.

How else can you interpret a forward not getting more than 4G/A's in a season prior to this one, other than his output is poor?
By watching them play football.

Jake Young scored 0 in 17 apps on loan at Barrow last season. Assume there is no point checking how he’s got on this time around as that’s enough to judge him on?

They were talking about the ridiculousness of 'assist' stats on the radio the other day. If a striker wildly miscues a shot and it falls to a team mate who scores, it's an assist. If a player dummies brilliantly without touching the ball to create an opportunity for someone to score then it doesn't count because he didn't touch it.

They were talking about the ridiculousness of 'assist' stats on the radio the other day. If a striker wildly miscues a shot and it falls to a team mate who scores, it's an assist. If a player dummies brilliantly without touching the ball to create an opportunity for someone to score then it doesn't count because he didn't touch it.
And registering an assist hinges entirely on the shooting player’s finishing ability. It’s a stat for mugs.

If data was everything, there’d be no point recruitment going and watching a player.
2 eyes will give you the best data.
Spot on. I'm old school and I go by what I see over a number of games. Stats are very misleading so I don’t really take much notice of them. Although I can see why they are used for certain aspects of the game.

You can do an amazing amount of work in the build up to a goal but it's the final 2 players that get the assist and goal even if the assist skims off their a**e.
But that still isn't output, which is my point. Also, it seems less logical to assume that Harris' goal contributions are so poor because he takes on the entire team and it always just so happens to bounce off 2 other players when he shoots, than it does to say well maybe his output is just not that good?

Spot on. I'm old school and I go by what I see over a number of games. Stats are very misleading so I don’t really take much notice of them. Although I can see why they are used for certain aspects of the game.
I should have taken that back. As I know someone who’s a really good judge of a player with one eye.

Recruitment teams choose who to go and watch based on data. Most of modern recruitment is based on data and statistical analysis rather than just watching players and going 'he looks alright'.
Recommendation is another route.

I wonder if we will be going for Johnson Clarke Harris now Bristol Rovers aren't interested?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom