Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Sub: Smith

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Really?
In their past 3 games they have lost 5 0 to Exeter and 3 0 v Sheff W (plus a surprising win v Port Vale where Jack Stevens gifted them the first goal)
They are below us in the league. Not sure where they are better than us comes from?
Yes but they have better available forwards than us and they are generally a difficult team to beat at their ground, so their chances on staying up are better than ours due to our lack of scoring. Also Cambridge could leap frog over Accy Stanley and us.

I never said all out attack. I said at least look like we have half an interest in scoring a goal.

That needs to change, because as the facts show we are closer to relegation now than before we started celebrating endless draws as though they were cup wins. The rot was already stopped after three - yesterday was when we needed to show intent and it was our worst and least ambitious showing of the four by a country mile.

Context.
Yes that's exactly how football works. You simply have to "show intent". and then you magically win games.

Yes that's exactly how football works. You simply have to "show intent". and then you magically win games.
Well, that was the big defense of [redacted], that he shows pashun and commitment, so stick with him.
Weird how that seems to have changed now.

Accrington, like us, have a really tough run of games before the final few fixtures. If we can pick up some draws against Bolton, Portsmouth and Barnsley we have a chance to hopefully get some breathing space from them.

I'm more worried about Cambridge, they are finding some form and are unbeaten in 3. They beat Port Vale 2-0 away, Fleetwood 2-1 at home and just drew 1-1 away at Bolton.

They also have 3 tough fixtures next but have Burton, Accrington and Forest Green in their final 3 games. We NEED to get wins on the board, draws will not be enough.

We are battling well but where the quality is lacking today especially was our big name signings of Browne , Wildschut and Murphy.
Poor decision making as we as no sharpness seemingly at all.
Worried as to why TG hasn't gone on the pitch for a single minute under LM so far .
I'd leave all 3 of them out Brewne looks like he's playing for himself.I think Tyler and Smythe should come in possibly Fleming.I don't think Murphy or wildshut offer enough to the team.IMO.

I never said all out attack. I said at least look like we have half an interest in scoring a goal.

That needs to change, because as the facts show we are closer to relegation now than before we started celebrating endless draws as though they were cup wins. The rot was already stopped after three - yesterday was when we needed to show intent and it was our worst and least ambitious showing of the four by a country mile.

Context.
First half we had opportunities with with Browne and Murphy in dangerous positions and if created a chance and put it away we would have looked good for three points , same as near the end.
Poor conditions against a very physical side away from home we have struggled nearly every time we play against that style .
No Moore at the back either didn't help.
We need wins though but not quite as simple as it seems I'd say although at home we will attack more and TG needs to be on.

Accrington, like us, have a really tough run of games before the final few fixtures. If we can pick up some draws against Bolton, Portsmouth and Barnsley we have a chance to hopefully get some breathing space from them.

I'm more worried about Cambridge, they are finding some form and are unbeaten in 3. They beat Port Vale 2-0 away, Fleetwood 2-1 at home and just drew 1-1 away at Bolton.

They also have 3 tough fixtures next but have Burton, Accrington and Forest Green in their final 3 games. We NEED to get wins on the board, draws will not be enough.
I agree that Cambridge are the ones to fear with a proven goalscorer seemingly to be coming into form ( Smith) .

First half we had opportunities with with Browne and Murphy in dangerous positions and if created a chance and put it away we would have looked good for three points , same as near the end.
Poor conditions against a very physical side away from home we have struggled nearly every time we play against that style .
No Moore at the back either didn't help.
We need wins though but not quite as simple as it seems I'd say although at home we will attack more and TG needs to be on.

We beat Port Vale 4-0 earlier in the season so unless they have completely changed style I don't know about that. We struggle against all styles, only 9 wins in 40 games tends to point to that.

Not certain how much of a positive it is the "Browne and Murphy were in good position and if we could have created a chance" bit is? That's not even creating anything?

We did very little going forwards yesterday, in fact the first half was as bad a half of football as you will ever watch so little happened. Its good that we have tightened up at the back but we have to find a style/system that allows us to attack, I get that with this squad that's not easy but that is why Manning gets paid, he needs to figure out how to get a few goals out of this shambles before we get relegated.

We beat Port Vale 4-0 earlier in the season so unless they have completely changed style I don't know about that. We struggle against all styles, only 9 wins in 40 games tends to point to that.

Not certain how much of a positive it is the "Browne and Murphy were in good position and if we could have created a chance" bit is? That's not even creating anything?

We did very little going forwards yesterday, in fact the first half was as bad a half of football as you will ever watch so little happened. Its good that we have tightened up at the back but we have to find a style/system that allows us to attack, I get that with this squad that's not easy but that is why Manning gets paid, he needs to figure out how to get a few goals out of this shambles before we get relegated.
I understand the frustration. I feel it too, but I also feel it was going to take few games to arrest the freefall we were in and, having done that, we've still got (just) enough time to get the necessary points to avoid relegation. I could be wrong of course, but I'm staying 'glass half full'. COYY!

Highly frustrating performance today. Vale were there for the taking. They had just been tonked 3-0 at Accrington and were low on confidence (16 points from their last possible 60, I think), but we came out so risk adverse and unwilling to attack that we gave them confidence, leading to some of their fans saying that the second half was the best they played for some time.

I love that Manning has made us harder to beat and we have kept 2 clean sheets but that doesn’t have to come at the expense of zero attacking threat. The two things are not mutually exclusive. You can set up a team to be defensively solid and have a structure out of possession without losing all attacking impetus. For those that say what can he do with the players at his disposal, the answer is that the players don’t have to be instructed to pass the ball so slowly. When most of our attacks begin with 7-8 languorous passes along our back four, you let the other team get set up and get players behind the ball. The point of this passing is meant to move the opposition out of position but our passing is so slow that this cannot be our purpose. Unsurprisingly, after making several slow sideways passes, the horrific squad KR built cannot play through 10-11 opposition players to create chances, meaning our only hope of scoring goals are a) set pieces/penalties or b) very rare counter attacks that buck the above trend. Result: four games, two goals (one from open play). Think back to how many times one of our players tried to take on and beat an opponent today. Almost everyone on the pitch wearing yellow (away from home finally!) was far happier making a safe backwards or sideways 5 yard pass (Fleming being a notable exception as someone who appeared interested in dribbling and trying to take on a player as well as an outstanding defensive block at a corner).

I lost count of the number of times Sam Long had the ball with space in front of him and then either a) passed backwards inside to the centre back, or b) accelerated 5 yards forward into the space until he faced their wing back and then, instead of looking to play forwards, turned 180 degrees and played it back to our centre half or a deep lying midfielder. Ben Purkiss noticed the second “tactic” on commentary and appeared equally baffled by it.

Subs again were poor today to put it kindly - no Smyth or Smith when McGuane was a mistimed tackle away from a red and O’Donker was exhausted by 75 minutes. Tyler G must be wondering what he has to do to get minutes on the pitch when he sees the poor performances of Murphy and Yanic. Hard to say Murphy played badly today, as I think he must have touched the ball fewer than 15 times. Browne seemed allergic to passing to Murphy and I wonder if this has spread to his teammates. Browne is another incredibly infuriating player with his propensity to choose the wrong option in the final third, and give away daft fouls, but he’s the only one in the front 4 who is likely to create something out of nothing, so I don’t understand why he was taken off after an hour when I thought we should have been desperately trying to win the game.

The lack of urgency that we showed throughout today was also very strange. Every time the ball went out, we were happy to take our time getting the ball back into play, particularly Eastwood. It was clearly a tactic. For the last 4 minutes when we are playing against 10 men, there was no urgency to get the ball forward to win 3 points and instead we were content to continue knocking it between the back four. I was similarly unimpressed with the lack of ambition going forward after Moore went off injured in the final 15-20 minutes on Friday against Sheffield Wednesday - another team low on confidence who we could have troubled and fought hard for 3 points but again just seemed to settle for one.

Time will tell, and I really hope I’m wrong, but I have a horrible feeling that 4 successive draws in the last 4 games is not ultimately going to be enough. If today wasn’t the day to try to take off the handbrake to try to finally win a game, in which game is the handbrake finally going to come off??

Manning has done a lot of good in the past month, and while I fully embraced the tactics to get a point at Peterborough and disagreed with but could understand the hesitancy to attack the league leaders at home, I think it is legitimate to question why he seemed so content to play for a draw today against an extremely poor team. It was a very painful watch on ifollow so fair play to the 975 who travelled to watch that dire fare.

What to do for the next 2 home games? It’s tough but 4-2-3-1 with wingers isn’t working for us offensively. Playing with Murphy and Yanic right now is like playing with 10 men (or 9 when they are both on together). If you are going to play wingers, Browne has to play wide left, Joseph or Tyler G wide right but we have no one who can play as a no 10 so it’s either 4-3-3 (4-5-1 out of possession) or 3-5-2 and wing backs which only works on the right if Anderson is fit.
Excellent post and wholeheartedly concur with your observations.

It felt like we were playing for a draw throughout against Vale and the slowness of play/lack of urgency made for a very frustrating and hard watch. The only time in the past 4 matches when we really have shown any attacking intent was when we fell behind against Sheffield Wednesday (and that was the match we arguably deserved to win).

Cambridge are a serious threat with a similar run-in to ours and on a better run of form, so it feels as though we need at least one win from our next two home games. Liam will have to gamble at some point albeit (through no fault of his own) our attacking and creative options are extremely limited.

I understand the sentiment that the recent run of draws is a good thing, because LM has indeed stabilised results.

The problem is that we just don’t have the luxury of too much of this because the board were simply too slow to react to the growing issues under KR.

Had this been happening in January, we would have had enough time to be patient and turn a few of these draws into wins. By now we may just have been safe.

As it is, we can’t afford to take excellent points against the likes of Wednesday and Peterborough to not then capitalise on a six pointer against the likes of PV.

As each game passes and as we drop more points by drawing, we potentially come ever closer to being sucked into the relegation zone on the back of one freaky result by Accrington or Cambridge.

As it is, goal difference may just be the thing that saves us, but for me, a win yesterday was not just about the points but also about the fact that it could have been the one huge confidence boost we needed going into these final six games.

We blew a great opportunity yesterday.

I'd be a little worried about Fleming as left back in a four, as he's so attacking, but this is fair too.
That's what we need someone to run at them and attack maybe Fleming needs to show them I play Fleming all day long from the start with these 6 games left let's face it we need some enthusiasm on the pitch or else we are playing league 2 next season and that will be even harder.

Excellent post and correct in many aspects.
The lack of ambition was puzzling. I realise some will now put a positive spin on that (you know who you are!) but it really was a tedious watch. In the pub beforehand the home supporters were saying how dreadful their team is currently so it was certainly a dropped three (two) points. We really do now have to be more ambitious than that.
And if it was at all possible, their recent form (last 6 games) is actually worse than ours!

Like I said, I can understand the defensive set-up at Peterborough who happen to be the in form team in the last 6 games, but against Port Vale it was a missed opportunity and managed in-correctly in my eyes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom