General Yesteryear

F-kNfS0XUAAww23

Saw this on Twitter - love these old pics. Ian Rush scoring for Chester
at Sealand Road in 1980. Rush scored against Oxford in both league
games in 1979-80.
Interesting how Barnsley have been supported so well for many years. Poor old Bury

It was Glaswegian Ronnie Glavin who scored for Barnsley that day not ‘Galvin’.

Glavin was a superb midfielder - formerly with Celtic.

Not just us, but not many away wins at that time (except for sheff U and a couple of others]
4k at the Manor - bad times

I was there, a really disappointing performance, think the first leg finished 1-1 with a Saunders penalty for us? That run to the semi-finals was the high point in a poor season.
Saunders scored a late penalty and then missed another!
We were awful at Luton.

Both penalties were dives weak even with today's standards.
When was the last time we saw football played with that amount of frost on the pitch? It wouldn’t even happen at the grassroots level these days.

When did Keith Cassells sign for us? Remember him being one of my first Oxford heroes. Him and Foley tearing Brighton a new one in an FA cup game. Think we won 3-0..?
Yep. 3-0 it was. I was there at Brighton for that one, one of the shock results of the day.

Not just us, but not many away wins at that time (except for sheff U and a couple of others]
4k at the Manor - bad times
Just a reminder for those who remember The Manor through rose-tinted glasses. Some matches there were dire.

ON THIS DAY

March 4th 1986

United draw 2-2 with Aston Villa at Villa Park in the first leg of the League Cup semi-final thanks to a brace from John Aldridge

U’s: Judge - Langan Briggs Shotton - Slatter - Houghton Hebberd Phillips Rhoades-Brown - Aldridge Charles

Att: 23,098

Villa had a top flight home attendance of 8,456 at Villa Park just a couple of weeks earlier versus Southampton.

EAL99FmXUAMSmCB

ON THIS DAY

March 4th 1986

United draw 2-2 with Aston Villa at Villa Park in the first leg of the League Cup semi-final thanks to a brace from John Aldridge

U’s: Judge - Langan Briggs Shotton - Slatter - Houghton Hebberd Phillips Rhoades-Brown - Aldridge Charles

Villa had a top flight home attendance of 8,456 at Villa Park just a couple of weeks earlier versus Southampton.

EAL99FmXUAMSmCB
I was there. The game seemed to take an age to arrive, I think Villa's quarter final tie against Arsenal was postponed a load of times due to weather.

ON THIS DAY

March 4th 1986

EAL99FmXUAMSmCB
I slept in a waiting room at Reading station after that game. It was freezing. A kindly station guard woke me up and allowed me to get on the morning post-train back to Newbury at about 5am.

Worth it.

ON THIS DAY

March 4th 1986

EAL99FmXUAMSmCB
I have a vague memory of the fight or post fight community of a Bruno fight on the radio on the way home.

I have a vague memory of the fight or post fight community of a Bruno fight on the radio on the way home.
Yes, I remember that as well. Think it was the fight against Coetzee? I think Bruno destroyed him inside the first round.

• React
Reactions: QR
I left work early and in good time and met up with some mates from Abingdon.

This was before the M40 opened and in those days you had to go via Kidlington😯 Deddington, Banbury, Gaydon , Warwick by pass, Balsall common etc etc and
It took ages to get to Birmingham so we missed the kick-off. Remember it was a very cold night but we got a good draw.

Televised highlights on Central TV that night.

Also, 15+ years ago winter temperatures were much colder. If you didn’t play on frozen pitches, you simply wouldn’t complete the season.

Have a look at Taunton and Truro in the NL South this season, it is amazing. Truro will be playing 4 or more games a week at this rate, nowhere near Cornwall! Truro started ground sharing at Taunton a while ago but all their games have been called off. This isn't a surprise as Taunton have had a load called off and will continue to do so when it rains or if it snows.

Truro played/or are playing their home game Vs Taunton at Gloucester City!

Truro really should be playing at somewhere like Falmouth even if the ground isn't up to scratch for the rest of the season as they really don't need more than that.

Back
Top Bottom