Transfer News Undisclosed.

Stops other clubs knowing how much the buying club is willing to spend and stops clubs knowing how much money the selling club now have to spend.
I get that, it always seems underhand, did we sell player X under his value or more? Just seems all our transfers are very secretive when it comes to money.

I get that, it always seems underhand, did we sell player X under his value or more? Just seems all our transfers are very secretive when it comes to money.
The reality is if we got say 3m for Atkinson we don’t really want other clubs knowing we’ve got 3m to spend on top of what budget we already had so yeah it’s secretive but it’s how football works these days

The reality is if we got say 3m for Atkinson we don’t really want other clubs knowing we’ve got 3m to spend on top of what budget we already had so yeah it’s secretive but it’s how football works these days
But surely it works both ways? What to say Atkinson was sold under value. Just asking the question, maybe it's best we dont know.👍

But surely it works both ways? What to say Atkinson was sold under value. Just asking the question, maybe it's best we dont know.👍
I guess the concept of value is fairly meaningless, he’s not a three bed semi in a popular road and unless there is a bidding war it’s hard to establish an objective sum. Obvs we always think our guys should cost more.

I guess the concept of value is fairly meaningless, he’s not a three bed semi in a popular road and unless there is a bidding war it’s hard to establish an objective sum. Obvs we always think our guys should cost more.
When I say "value" it's having transparency if we are being taken for mugs or not, so I reckon it's pretty important.

When I say "value" it's having transparency if we are being taken for mugs or not, so I reckon it's pretty important.
I mean that there is no objective way of knowing if a particular figure means we are being taken for mugs. You might think an ex non league defender with one league season should cost more but buying clubs might disagree

It’s a bit of a myth that undisclosed fees are to protect a club from any sort of strong arm attempts. The clubs all know who is paying what - there are no secrets in football on that front. Everybody knows who is earning what, who is offering what, what such and such spent on which deals etc. Any club in the EFL can find out what the fee was for any player inside a couple of phone calls once it’s done.

In reality it’s primarily used as a way for clubs to keep it out of the pubs, as it were. We paid too much, we didn’t get enough, the player needs to have a worldie every week to justify that sort of price tag, if we just got paid A then why aren’t we spending at least B etc. It’s best to keep specifics off the terraces.

Just how it is - nothing personal.

It’s a bit of a myth that undisclosed fees are to protect a club from any sort of strong arm attempts. The clubs all know who is paying what - there are no secrets in football on that front. Everybody knows who is earning what, who is offering what, what such and such spent on which deals etc. Any club in the EFL can find out what the fee was for any player inside a couple of phone calls once it’s done.

In reality it’s primarily used as a way for clubs to keep it out of the pubs, as it were. We paid too much, we didn’t get enough, the player needs to have a worldie every week to justify that sort of price tag, if we just got paid A then why aren’t we spending at least B etc. It’s best to keep specifics off the terraces.

Just how it is - nothing personal.
Almost a gentleman's agreement to keep it secret from clubs and fans, it always seems to in involve OUFC transfers, not going to lose sleep over it, but the (undisclosed) transfer is a need too know issue.

I don't know why people always take things as falling badly for our club..the reverse could also be true in that fans may think their club paid way over the odds for one of our players.

We will eventually find out in the 2021-22 accounts

If we only buy one player all season then maybe. But otherwise it’s more complicated and could be several players combined.

Same with player sales.

Almost a gentleman's agreement to keep it secret from clubs and fans, it always seems to in involve OUFC transfers, not going to lose sleep over it, but the (undisclosed) transfer is a need too know issue.
The vast majority of transfers below the PL are undisclosed these days and far beyond Oxford. But I certainly wouldn't read too much into it, either for those coming in or going out.

Most deals are multilayered with appearance bonuses, promotion, sell ons etc that you wouldn't necessarily get a true picture even if a fee was announced. Plus we'd miss out on all the fun of arguing if someone went for peanuts or the 4th highest fee for a centre back!

Plus, it throws the taxman off the scent a little, seeing as what we actually buy is a player’s registration not the player himself, and this attracts an extra 20% VAT on top.

I think we in turn should in turn be permitted to pay an “undisclosed fee” for our season ticket.

Fair’s fair. 😋

Back
Top Bottom