General Trevor Francis

That's a real shame, I liked him from his playing days with Forest and Sampdoria (not so much Rangers!)
Here's one for the nerds - there were rumours he might become Oxford's player-manager at one point in the 80s. Anyone else remember that?

I saw Trevor Francis make his debut at the Manor as a 16 year old.
In those days the turnstiles didn't seem.to count people in, so the capacity of the Manor (18k) was breached and there were around 19,000 in there ( with people sitting on the perimeter of the pitch from memory)

I remember that match very well. It was the only time I could get my Father to the Manor. The official crowd was 16,000. Ron Atkinson had a blood covered shirt for the last 20 minutes. Nigel Cassidy scored with 5 minutes to go for a 1.0 win. I seem to recall that Trevor Francis had a fairly quiet game, albeit he was only 16. He later sold us Trevor Francis when he was manager at Brum. It is a shock as he was only 69.

Shocked to hear this. A genuinely great footballer, quick and a deadly finisher. If he got clear, one on one then it was a goal simple as that.

Signed by Brian Clough as the first ever £1m footballer - you don't really need to say much more. If Clough wanted you and was prepared to break a record like that then it's fair to say he was a bit more than just your average footballer !

RIP.

Can't help but see the sad irony that this comes on the same day as the mbappe bid......

TF may have been with the rivals of my childhood team, but there was never any doubting his abilities - a sad loss

Yes, I was there Foley.

RIP Trevor Francis.
me too - rip Trevor Francis

the first £1m player - have a vague memory of Clough n Francis being on tv together , I think just before the transfer bid?, Cloughie told him 'take your hands out your pockets young man' , or something like that

Made his full debut against us at St Andrews and scored. Roy Clayton equalised. Worryingly I was born in the same year as him. Taken well before his time. RIP

Sad news. As an England striker, Trevor Francis was a hero to the young me, and I had a poster from Shoot on my bedroom wall of him wearing the new England kit (circa 1980). But the abiding memory is of him scoring that goal for Forest in the European Cup Final. RIP Trevor.

Just seen that another Ex Forest player has passed away. Chris Bart Williams. Very young and sad.

Interesting hearing Trevor Francis saying that he was on £2k a week at Forest, but it was all about the winning and success.
He said that players today seem to be obsessed with money.

EyNNgzxVIAAREHY