Tomorrow's press conference

I thought it was reported that Eisner would invest 10 million and not 20 million

He had to guarantee to invest £10 million on top of the £5.6 million, AS A MINIMUM IN THE SHORT TERM, and put it in escrow.

So £16 million is the lowest he can invest in total. And that is at a club that owns its own 18,000 capacity stadium. The Pompey supporters trust were absolutely a**e-aching in ensuring that whoever took them on could properly afford it, and would not be debting the club up or operating on a wing and a prayer.

Constant attack [emoji23][emoji23]. I don’t agree with some of their point, have asked for evidence of their concerns and said I will judge the man on what he does not what someone says he does. U start with we are all entitled to our views, but then say mine is unwarranted ???

in actual fact I’m pretty much fully in line with Charles current view, which he’s said himself is pretty different to Myles.
I also understand from what charlie has said that Myles is a worrier, and will often look at worst case scenario, where as I’m pretty much the opposite end of the scale, so we’re always going to disagree, and the truth will probably end up somewhere in the middle.

Charlie’s points I agree with -
Who the money men are doesn’t really matter.
Asset stripping doesn’t really matter as we don’t have any.
And judge him on what he does, as like it or not he’s the owner.
I also agree with him that getting involved in tactics and team selection would be a right pain in the a**e, but again will wait to see if that was just the excitement of running his first football club, and is different now that results will directly effect his own pocket.

You have left out my biggest concern:
That he doesn't know what he has got himself in to, and doesn't have the appropriate funds to do what needs to be done. His pronouncements to date are hardly redolent of a man with a carefully thought-through plan.

"The money men" is too vague a term for me. What does it mean? I absolutely care who is providing whatever funds supposedly are available. We need to know who our actual owners are (I am assuming that the answer is Tiger). What I said that I am less concerned by is whether Tiger has or has not been associated in the past with people with rickety reputations. As a Thai businessman, I fear (from what my friends in corporate intelligence tell me) that that is par for the course.

Incidentally the idea that results at Reading didn't affect his own pocket is financially illiterate. 25% of the capital value of Reading is more than the capital value of 100% of OUFC. So financially it mattered more. Logically, as he is now in total control with no restraining hand and almost no middle management, he will get MORE involved in areas he shouldn't do, not less.

To be honest, leaving aside what I do or do not agree with Myles on, I am extremely concerned. I see almost no obvious reason to be 'glass half full'. But...... it is what it is, he has done our club no harm (yet) and actions will, ultimately, speak louder than words. So we wait and see. But I hope that we wait to see with a slightly more intensive eye for detail than has been displayed by our blessed representatives to date.
And in the meantime, I must get on with trying to imagine how DE is going to present the case that he has invested net £9 million in OUFC. There is creativity and imaginative handling of financial figures.... but I'm not sure that that is going to get him there!

I would just like to give some support to what Myles, Uptheus and lundisponytail have written. The constant attack by Dave T is unwarranted as we all have a view of what is happening and they are entitled to their veiw and concerns. Having said that I do agree that we have to back Tiger as he is the owner of our football club, however I do feel that for the 2nd time the soul of our club has been wrenched from us, the 1st time when we place our faith in Firoz Kassam.

I agree with some of what the Three Amigos say and disagree with much more of it, but they are entitled to their opinions, and to post them, just as Dave (and many others) are entitled to post their disagreement with them.

As far as "attacks" go I think there is nobody amongst them who is pure as the driven snow, and they all give it and take it.

But, but, but, you cannot stop one side having their say just because you disagree with it. This is a democracy. This is free speech. People fought wars to protect it, and Dave is as entitled to his say as your pals are.

Last night's coverage from BBC south was also quite poor, also even after nearly two years they still use our old club badge on their graphics!

Last night's coverage from BBC south was also quite poor, also even after nearly two years they still use our old club badge on their graphics!
It would of mattered if it had been Southampton, Brighton, Bournemouth and to some degree Reading but us, Scum and the monte nah just a takeover even Pompey get a decent mention when they sold to Eisner were chicken feed to BBC south and Meridain, f**k em

As I have read it his business in Thailand is clothing manufacture. His property development interests relate to the car park and other land around the RFC stadium. Charlie has once again well stated the cost of being even moderately successful in the Championship let alone reaching the holy grail of Prem. Tiger says that’s where he wants the club to be but on what we know (or rather don’t know) is whether he has a big enough pot to P**s in to even keep us in League One.
I guess only time will tell.

Reading all the comments on here I have to say that, although I can see both sides of the argument, I too feel slightly uneasy about the whole situation. The shambles yesterday morning certainly did nothing to ease those concerns, nor does any information regarding coherent plans going forward and no news of putting any sort of infrastructure in place. So far all we seem to have is Tiger and DE winging the running of the club in the short term. Where does the MD fit into this new regime? Is there going to be anybody at the club on a daily basis running things. And that’s without even going into the financial history of those who may or may not be involved, and the mystery ‘money men’

As I said yesterday, I did feel a little easier after hearing the 1-2-1 interviews later on in the day and am happy to give him the benefit of the doubt for now, but the manager he finally chooses, and their identity, will be a start in indicating how good an owner he’s going to turn out to be

I agree with some of what the Three Amigos say and disagree with much more of it, but they are entitled to their opinions, and to post them, just as Dave (and many others) are entitled to post their disagreement with them.

As far as "attacks" go I think there is nobody amongst them who is pure as the driven snow, and they all give it and take it.

But, but, but, you cannot stop one side having their say just because you disagree with it. This is a democracy. This is free speech. People fought wars to protect it, and Dave is as entitled to his say as your pals are.

Colin, they are not my pals, in fact I have never met them in person just read their posts. They have made a number of posts highlighting issues that should concern us as supporters. Lundinsponytail does have a problem in being able to debate without getting personal, but he also makes some very good points regarding his concerns. He has a great relationship with S Donald who it would appear gave Satori some good advice on potential funding (£20m) he would need to make available if his bid had been accepted. My concern is that we have replaced one owner with limited funds with another, which after the highly anticipated press conference, left us with more questions and little if any answers.

I have a gut feeling that our new owner may not be all he seems, only time will tell.

As for free speech?

Just picking up on something that lundinsponytail says....

Tiger is supposedly a successful businessman....he's been sniffing around us for the past 6 months...how credible is the idea that he doesn't know what he's letting himself in for?

He's got to think there's something in it for him and that puts me firmly in the worried camp. All this stuff about 'Brand Oxford' was guff when Stewart Donald was trotting it out and it's still guff now.

You can’t really say that until we have seen him in action and that would probably be at the start of next season after all the ins and outs we have in the summer close season.
As regard Dave t he is entitled the an opinion as are we all, as regard Lundinsponytailhe can dishnit out and be belligerent to posters and Myles can be arrogant, can’t fault uptheus.

Fair comment, however I don’t find Myles at all arrogant in his posts. Let’s hope we see the new owner in action within the next few days by introducing a new manager, that may well give us some idea of his intention.

Just picking up on something that lundinsponytail says....

Tiger is supposedly a successful businessman....he's been sniffing around us for the past 6 months...how credible is the idea that he doesn't know what he's letting himself in for?

He's got to think there's something in it for him and that puts me firmly in the worried camp. All this stuff about 'Brand Oxford' was guff when Stewart Donald was trotting it out and it's still guff now.
There are lots of reasons why some people might see advantages in buying businesses which legitimately lose vast sums of money year on year. Like football clubs, for instance.

Like everyone on here, I only want what is best for the club. Yesterday's press conference showed me a man who hadn't even bothered to prepare for his first appearance, who didn't seem to have thought through what he was going to say, wouldn't (or couldn't) give any specifics about anything and (even allowing for a language barrier) could express no real plans for the future, the stadium, the manager or the squad.

Although the follow up interviews were a little more coherent, they still inspire very little confidence. The impression is of an enthusiastic amateur with (probably) some money, rather than of a serious businessman who will be prepared to hire or retain professionals (manager, backroom staff) and let them do their jobs while providing investment and business know how in order to build the club for the longer term.

Not much anyone can do apart from to cross your fingers, pray to your favourite deity and hope that things work out both on and off the pitch though...

I know its only minor thing to some but it's part of our identity and when our local news cannot even get our club badge right it does P**s me off!

On most points I haven’t actually disagreed with they are saying, more how correct it is
My point has always been let’s wait and see, show me the evidence so I can make up my own mind based on it. Myles’s beware of the tiger thread might very well be true. At the time, and even still now the only evidence is he was advising tiger on his purchase. I tend to like to make up my own mind, rather than just taking what someone else has said as gospel. It could very well be we have just entered a very dark stage in our history, or like when Darryl come in we could face four years of very exciting times. My questioning of them is no different to their constant questioning of Oxvox for example. And while they do have genuine concerns, which we all do, I’m happier to wait and see what happens and for facts to emerge rather than spend the last 6 years in a constant battle against the club I support, when history has shown us that things ain’t always as bad as predicted, and sometimes like they rest of us they ain’t always right. Unless of course I missed it and mickey Adams did come in, saved us from certain relegation battle to the conference, where back the methven bid prevented the evil asset stripper Ashton gaining control, and we surged up the leagues playing football the perryman way in our shiney new stadium at WE. the Oxvox committee was sent to prison by a military court for a crime they didn't commit. They promptly escaped from a maximum security stockade to the oxfordshire underground. Today, still wanted by the government, they survive as soldiers of fortune
(That was all a joke for those with no sense of humour)

Very appropriate coming from Mr T!

Although the follow up interviews were a little more coherent, they still inspire very little confidence. The impression is of an enthusiastic amateur with (probably) some money, rather than of a serious businessman who will be prepared to hire or retain professionals (manager, backroom staff) and let them do their jobs while providing investment and business know how in order to build the club for the longer term.

This is the concern for me as well - and we've seen it before, because it's exactly what happened (on the pitch, at least) when Kassam was in charge.

For all the legitimate stick he gets, Kassam did try to give the football thing a go....at least in the first few years. Hence the money paid out for the likes of Stockley, Scott & Moody, and his constant meddling in firing and appointing managers. Problem was, he had absolutely no clue what he was doing and made idiotic, rash decisions mostly on the basis of ego (Diaz & co. being the most obvious, but one of many). And he never delegated to anyone knowledgeable and competent to manage on pitch affairs.

Of course the difference is that Kassam also had eyes on asset stripping the club, and that he did with ruthless efficiency. We're not going to get that from Tiger, because there's nothing left to strip, but first impressions suggest that it's going to be a similar show on the field. And that never ends well.

All fingers and toes crossed that those first impressions (and reports) are wrong, that Tiger's going to appoint a competent manager, back him with some funds and sit back and watch. Because I don't want to be watching non-league football again in five years' time.

Back
Top Bottom