Tickets Tickets for Cambridge Utd away

Just goes Tesco’s and get the £3 pound meal deal, maybe you can convince them to knock it down to £2.50 for south stand upper season ticket holder’s (at no reduction to club card card points obviously).
That's better! Entrepreneurial skills. When can start running the club? ;)

I sent this email to the EFL earlier today.

With only 11 days to go to the start of the EFL league season could you please answer me these two questions.

1. Is it up to individual clubs to decide whether away fans are permitted to attend games from the start of the season or is that decision down to the EFL?

2. If it is down to the EFL when will that decision be communicated?

And got this prompt response

Thank you for your email.

As you may already know, the Government recently removed restrictions for sporting events i.e. EFL fixtures.

While we expect all restrictions to be lifted, there may be some local measures in place on a game to game basis. For example, there may be a reduced allocation at fixtures based on a number of factors.

We would recommend that you speak to your club for the latest information, ahead of your return to stadia.

Thank you for contacting the EFL.

I interpret that as meaning since restrictions have been lifted the EFL have had no role to play in determining whether away fans would or would not be allowed to attend. So again I would ask just who were the two clubs awaiting confirmation on the return of away fans from? Or has someone just made up some nonsense and posted it on the OUFC site. At present the club are scoring very low marks for communication.

Renewed my LRC today, if we dont hardly get to use it before the September lockdown, oh well, whats three quid out of my pocket.

QPR were given 1,600 tickets for Cambridge tonight and took around 900.

Be nice if we got some news and a shame if we don’t sell out that away end...

At this rate the Burton tickets will be on sale before the Cambridge tickets.
If we really do have a new 'Head of Retail & Ticketing' then he should hang his head in shame.
Lee Barton.

Key duties as Head of Retail and Ticketing:
- Oversee and implement the overarching strategy of Retail; Store development, product development, seasonal buying, merchandising, store operations, and ecommerce operations
- Technical kit supplier selection & procurement
- Facilitating & developing technical kit order process with internal & external partners
- Oversee and implement the overarching strategy of the Ticket Office, with a sales & service focus

Am I missing something, or does the decision on whether or not Oxford fans can attend the Cambridge game not rest entirely with Cambridge United? If they haven't made a decision, there's not much our guys can do, right? Why the constant need to attack our own club?

Probably because we have a track record at being SLOW !!!!
Slow starters to a season
Slow at announcing new sponsorship
Slow at announcing new kit
Slow at announcing a take over
And bloody slow at getting new players in , apart from that everything is rosey
Come on you yellows !!!!!

Am I missing something, or does the decision on whether or not Oxford fans can attend the Cambridge game not rest entirely with Cambridge United? If they haven't made a decision, there's not much our guys can do, right? Why the constant need to attack our own club?
They, Cambridge, have made a decision as they have already had away fans attend. They have already despatched tickets. OUFC have announced the LRC coaches are to run (with a link to ticket information at the bottom of the page - the link does not work)

They gave QPR 1600 tickets last night.

At this rate the Burton tickets will be on sale before the Cambridge tickets.
If we really do have a new 'Head of Retail & Ticketing' then he should hang his head in shame.

Been in post for over 5 years - nothing new about it. And I doubt he has much say in how many/if Oxford fans can attend games, more so how to sell tickets when it is known how many they have to sell and when they're permitted to sell them.

Cambridge themselves only put home tickets on sale on Monday.

I looked at some other League One clubs' sites about an hour ago. It's not just our fans who are waiting for news.

MK Dons, Cheltenham and Lincoln hadn't made any announcements about tickets for their away games on 7 August, although AFC Wimbledon and Portsmouth had.

They, Cambridge, have made a decision as they have already had away fans attend. They have already despatched tickets. OUFC have announced the LRC coaches are to run (with a link to ticket information at the bottom of the page - the link does not work)
Didn't realise about the QPR tickets. But even so, there's obviously some confirmation the club are still waiting for, right? It's not a problem that's unique to OUFC. And a quick look at other fixtures happening next weekend shows OUFC aren't alone. Lincoln fans can't buy tickets for Gillingham yet, and MK fans can't buy tickets for Bolton yet, and neither site has any further information about when they might hear.

Weirdly, Wimbledon fans can buy tickets for Doncaster. The whole thing's undoubtedly a mess, but t's not like the OUFC ticket office alone are responsible. If they can't give confirmation, they can't give confirmation, can they?

Didn't realise about the QPR tickets. But even so, there's obviously some confirmation the club are still waiting for, right? It's not a problem that's unique to OUFC. And a quick look at other fixtures happening next weekend shows OUFC aren't alone. Lincoln fans can't buy tickets for Gillingham yet, and MK fans can't buy tickets for Bolton yet, and neither site has any further information about when they might hear.

Weirdly, Wimbledon fans can buy tickets for Doncaster. The whole thing's undoubtedly a mess, but t's not like the OUFC ticket office alone are responsible. If they can't give confirmation, they can't give confirmation, can they?
A simple explanation wouldn't go amiss. If there is a delay, say so. If there is a valid reason, say so. It's no big deal. But, with just 10 days to go, people need to make arrangements, transport etc.
That there will not be any new shirt available for fans to buy is poor but, almost inevitable given recent history. But, have we even got an away kit yet? There is a colour clash which will require a change on our part so, where is the kit?

It's just one silly thing after another.

A good point about the away kit. One has to wonder.

And as I live just five miles from Cambridge Utd's ground, and as it's a fixture I obviously want to go to, I do find the club's lack of communication terribly frustrating.

In the last hour I have, however, received an email from the club offering me an "exclusive hospitality offer" ...

7th August Fixtures

Bolton Wanderers v Milton Keynes Dons - no news for away fans.
Cambridge United v Oxford United - no news for away fans.
Crewe Alexandra v Cheltenham Town - no news for away fans.
Doncaster Rovers v AFC Wimbledon - Away tickets on sale since 22nd July.
Fleetwood Town v Portsmouth - Allocation of 1000 on sale from 6pm on 28th July.

Gillingham v Lincoln City - no news for away fans.
Ipswich Town v Morecambe - no news for away fans.
Rotherham United v Plymouth Argyle - Plymouth site: "we expect to be in a position to place Rotherham United match tickets on sale to season ticket holders within the next 24 hours. " as of this morning.
Shrewsbury Town v Burton Albion - no news for away fans.
Sunderland v Wigan Athletic - no news for away fans.
Wycombe Wanderers v Accrington Stanley - no news for away fans.
Charlton Athletic v Sheffield Wednesday (17:30) - no news for away fans.

So of the 12 fixtures, only one fixture has away tickets currently on sale, a further one goes on sale tonight, and a third within the next 24 hours.
The other 9 appear to have next to no mention/detail.

MK do have away tickets for their cup game at Bournemouth on Saturday on sale though.

Ipswich have only just started selling home tickets for their game v Morecambe today, so it just seems relatively slow across the board.

Last edited:
A simple explanation wouldn't go amiss. If there is a delay, say so. If there is a valid reason, say so. It's no big deal. But, with just 10 days to go, people need to make arrangements, transport etc.
That there will not be any new shirt available for fans to buy is poor but, almost inevitable given recent history. But, have we even got an away kit yet? There is a colour clash which will require a change on our part so, where is the kit?

It’s crazy we can’t buy the new kit or as of now there is no new away kit currently it’s getting a bit tin-pot from our end the ticket situation may just be a case of waiting to find out but as I said yesterday communication has been poor this summer from the club it’s abit like the charlton game you can book a table in the restaurant but can’t get a seat in the east stand how does that work

They did give an explanation though. "The two clubs are just waiting on final confirmation on the return of away fans that day." They obviously haven't received that confirmation, hence no ticket information. I would assume they will give us news when they have that confirmation. Until they do, I'd rather nothing than a daily 'still no confirmation' announcement, wouldn't you? Saying the new tickets guy should 'hang his head in shame' over this (I appreciate not you, but mirrors the general tone of the thread) is such weird and unnecessary hyperbole.

Do you seriously think we won't have a new away kit before the start of the season? If not, then why does it matter if it's announced now or next week? Personally, if I like it I'll buy it, if I don't I won't - it's not like if they haven't released it by some arbitrary deadline before the season starts they're going to have lost my business.

They did give an explanation though. "The two clubs are just waiting on final confirmation on the return of away fans that day." They obviously haven't received that confirmation, hence no ticket information. I would assume they will give us news when they have that confirmation. Until they do, I'd rather nothing than a daily 'still no confirmation' announcement, wouldn't you? Saying the new tickets guy should 'hang his head in shame' over this (I appreciate not you, but mirrors the general tone of the thread) is such weird and unnecessary hyperbole.

Do you seriously think we won't have a new away kit before the start of the season? If not, then why does it matter if it's announced now or next week? Personally, if I like it I'll buy it, if I don't I won't - it's not like if they haven't released it by some arbitrary deadline before the season starts they're going to have lost my business.
I *do* agree with you on this.

But the club have to some degree caused it all. The summer has TBH been a bit of a catalogue of missteps by the club so far as PR is concerned. From the very clumsily handled season ticket renewals, the usual 'we'll get them in early' nonsense followed by few signings, the late announcement of the home kit, lack of many preseason games that we could actually go to (and I don't think tonight's is even being streamed, even just audio would be something. Oxford City can manage it but apparently not us), not actually bothering to even reply to polite emails (or even acknowledge that they have been received), KRs annual rant about being backed, the lack of certainty/transparency over the takeover, few appearances from the current chairman etc. It's all been a bit 'meh' and has made many of us feel much less like 'valued supporters' and more like 'customers'.

So when other stuff like late ticketing announcements and away kit reveals happen (or don't), on their own they are maybe either not important or not even the club's fault - but it adds to the impression of the club being rather rudderless and disorganised at the moment. We certainly don't *seem* to be crouching in the blocks ready to make a fast start in 10 days time.

Back
Top Bottom