General Ticketing and Retail

You plan the data mapping in advance, build a converter before turning off the old system, you don't do it after decommissioning the original system. In fact, best practice is to build the new system entirely beforehand, do practice data migrations to find any issues, and when happy reset and migrate. It certainly shouldn't take 2 weeks, I've migrated systems from legacy AS400 systems into SAP, a system with a vastly different data structure, with only 48hrs downtime. Closed business on the Friday on the old system, opened up the following Monday on the new system.

In your experience would you say its fairly likely that something has gone wrong for it to take this long?

I asked for an update, and I understand that hopefully something positive will be going out shortly.
It's not as simple as switching one system off and another one on, all the supporter data has to be mapped and there have been some challenges in the data structure of the old CRM when bringng it across. (Salesforce is the old CRM not the new one as mentioned above).
I've flagged up the online auction which requires logging in to bid as mentioned above. Those items will be re-listed when the migration is complete.
It's been far too long, some mistakes along the way and too few updates on progress, but I'm confident it will be worth it in the end.
Some mistakes?
I would suggest the club have well and truly messed up with this one.
Firstly all the stuff in the background should be going on well before you switch systems over, it then shouldn’t take over 2 weeks to sort out.

The club will have lost out on a lot of money by this happening at such a key stage in the season.

I hope Adam Benson is going to be at the fans forum as I think he needs to explain why the club and more to the point, his area, has come across so amateurish yet again.

I asked for an update, and I understand that hopefully something positive will be going out shortly.
It's not as simple as switching one system off and another one on, all the supporter data has to be mapped and there have been some challenges in the data structure of the old CRM when bringng it across. (Salesforce is the old CRM not the new one as mentioned above).
I've flagged up the online auction which requires logging in to bid as mentioned above. Those items will be re-listed when the migration is complete.
It's been far too long, some mistakes along the way and too few updates on progress, but I'm confident it will be worth it in the end.

Surely to God, any reputable organisation would have built the new system in it's entirety in the background, sense checked it again and again to identify faults and issues, before then switching to the new system, no? We have recently switched CRM systems at work and the new one has been offline and in testing for months, prior to the IT team going 'live'.

It's the timing of it that gets me. They have made this change in the midst of Saturday/Tuesday fixtures in February, along with high profile away games against Wycombe & Portsmouth. Meanwhile, in roughly 4 weeks time there will be an international break whereby there will be 12 clear days between fixtures. While it wouldn't have been ideal then either, at least it would impact fewer fixtures and more importantly, it would inconvenience supporters on fewer occasions as they wouldn't be requiring tickets for multiple games.

Still, those 'customers' will still flock to buy tickets anyway, f**k em!!

Surely to God, any reputable organisation would have built the new system in it's entirety in the background, sense checked it again and again to identify faults and issues, before then switching to the new system, no? We have recently switched CRM systems at work and the new one has been offline and in testing for months, prior to the IT team going 'live'.

It's the timing of it that gets me. They have made this change in the midst of Saturday/Tuesday fixtures in February, along with high profile away games against Wycombe & Portsmouth. Meanwhile, in roughly 4 weeks time there will be an international break whereby there will be 12 clear days between fixtures. While it wouldn't have been ideal then either, at least it would impact fewer fixtures and more importantly, it would inconvenience supporters on fewer occasions as they wouldn't be requiring tickets for multiple games.

Still, those 'customers' will still flock to buy tickets anyway, f**k em!!
This particularly the last line

Although you're joking, I know that some of the senior management of the club have been irritated by the dot counting, and attendance threads, thinking that it's "none of our business" how many tickets have been sold. They didn't like that we could forecast the likely attendance better than they could. You really couldn't make this s**t up.

Meanwhile, we are now into the 15th day without a fully functioning ticket system, and the 15th day without so much as an acknowledgement from the club that things have gone wrong. No update of when the new system might be working, and a crystal clear example that they don't think we're worthy of an explanation.

Customers, my a**e!
Back in the days when I worked in retail, we used to joke about how good a job we would have had if we weren't constantly being interrupted by those bloody customers!

Can I go in person ,to the K*****m ticket office & buy a ticket for orient on Saturday.
If not how do all the walk ups ,get in the stadium ..or not. If not, that's shocking

I would suggest the club have well and truly messed up with this one.
It would appear from the surface that the club have employed the services of an IT company that have either overestimated their ability to undertake such an exercise, didn't fully understand the requirements of the the project or have prematurely implemented a system to avoid a possible penalty - or maybe all three!

The procedures to successfully migrate systems have been outlined by others, we would always have at least two trial implementations before the real thing - first to test and observe the actual change processes & timescales and then a second with users in to operate the new system - they would always find something the analysts and coders had missed! Only when the problems thrown up by those two weekend tests were addressed would we be in a position to attempt the real thing.

Then an accountant came up with the concept of outsourcing........

Can I go in person ,to the K*****m ticket office & buy a ticket for orient on Saturday.
If not how do all the walk ups ,get in the stadium ..or not. If not, that's shocking
Yes. You can buy at the TO or by phone

It really is.

You move a copy of the data to the new system BEFORE you turn the old one off.

In that process you find out if there are data structure issues as they are an identifiable risk to the switch over.

"If you fail to plan you plan to fail" would be the summary of another clusterfudge by those in charge.

Lets hope there is more attention to detail and potential issues in the planning application.

You plan the data mapping in advance, build a converter before turning off the old system, you don't do it after decommissioning the original system. In fact, best practice is to build the new system entirely beforehand, do practice data migrations to find any issues, and when happy reset and migrate. It certainly shouldn't take 2 weeks, I've migrated systems from legacy AS400 systems into SAP, a system with a vastly different data structure, with only 48hrs downtime. Closed business on the Friday on the old system, opened up the following Monday on the new system.

No its not that simple according to those "ITK". :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Of course they could be speculating on social media...

Really 😭 that'll be fun in this rain then.
I think I'll wait till tomorrow now..
more hailstorms likely later - ( that was a particularly nastybastard hail storm a little while ago) - this afternoon, although damp n miserable, the next hour or so best bet for avoiding the worst of it today I reckon ... though Im no weatherman

And you have a rollback plan in case of issues that arise at cutover.

Back
Top Bottom