General The ‘U’s’....

This, 100%.

Trouble is, anything contrived is almost certainly bound to be crap - hon. mention when Sunderland changed from Rokerites to the Black Cats. I appreciate there was some history behind it, but it’s still rubbish.

Didn’t actually mind Sarge’s “Martyrs”!

“Cavaliers” would be a local one, but unfortunately is completely gash. What else is there that’s local that doesn’t involve University Dons or Tories?

Errrr Aunt Sally ? ..... perhaps not

MGs - the little sports car made in Oxford/ Abingdon perhaps?

The U's is an awful nickname - unimaginative and shared by other clubs.

The Dons is an obvious one for us but the fans would hate it and, obviously, it's already in use as well. The Ox doesn't really work for me. The Bulls?

The best nicknames are those which actually reflect something about the area, as nearly all English football club nicknames are, e.g. Hatters, Cobblers, Pilgrims, etc. Personally, I think the most appropriate nickname would be to do with the car industry. So how about the Morrismen? (Only joking.)

Yes, but we can't just make something up that has no history to it. Look at all the rubbish about the Black Cats.

Can't believe anyone would prefer "The U's" over any other relevant nickname. It's so basic, I hate seeing it in lists against all the other clubs.
Because we've been "The U's" for as long as I can remember, that is us. We've never been "The Ox" or anything else, that's why.

Why? I've never understood this. The city is what it is because of the university.

And the club is what it is because of the city.

The club isn't what it is because of the university though.

Why? I've never understood this. The city is what it is because of the university.
The university have never shown any interest in the club. Oxford is more than a city with a university in it. If we have to associate with anything then make it the vibrant music scene which is local people making a huge impact in popular culture, or with the car building heritage with companies such as MG.

The Yellows?
Others are defined by colour, after all...though I realise we are abandoning our old gold HUFC credentials there.

Why not yellows. After all we do sing come on you yellows?

Swindon are called the robins because their shirt looked similar in colour to a robin red breast. Very original! If the same logic is applied to us we should be called the bananas or sunflowers or submarines.

Back
Top Bottom