Matches The League 1 Promotion Run In

The top 11 is the strongest there’s ever been in League 1. The other 13 are very average at best..

Some of our results v them though..

Wimbledon 3-1 Oxford
Cheltenham 1-0 Oxford
Oxford 1-1 Gillingham
Oxford 1-1 Cheltenham
Lincoln 2-0 Oxford
Accrington 2-0 Oxford
Morecambe 2-1 Oxford

2 points from possible 21
You're being very selective there. Of those seven fixtures, we Wycombe only won one (Cheltenham away), and could still very feasibly make the playoffs. You can't point at individual fixtures. It's an effort over the whole season

You're being very selective there. Of those seven fixtures, we Wycombe only won one (Cheltenham away), and could still very feasibly make the playoffs. You can't point at individual fixtures. It's an effort over the whole season

I’ve selected points dropped v sides outside the top 11.

League 1 this year is 2 leagues really.
The top 11 from Wigan to Ipswich in 11th are all very good sides.
The 13 below that aren’t.

I’ve selected points dropped v sides outside the top 11.

League 1 this year is 2 leagues really.
The top 11 from Wigan to Ipswich in 11th are all very good sides.
The 13 below that aren’t.
Yeah, but you've played 25 games so far against the bottom 13. And you've picked out 7 fixtures where you didn't win. That's really not a bad effort. No team is going to win every game

Wigan, MK and Rotherham to be replaced by Derby, Barnsley & "Operation Vengeance".

Then throw in FGR, Exeter and Vale or Mansfield coming up and I`ll be happy.

The top 11 is the strongest there’s ever been in League 1. The other 13 are very average at best..

Wimbledon 3-1 Oxford
Cheltenham 1-0 Oxford
Oxford 1-1 Gillingham
Oxford 1-1 Cheltenham
Lincoln 2-0 Oxford
Accrington 2-0 Oxford
Morecambe 2-1 Oxford

This is the most ludicrously selective and pointless stat that I have ever seen.

Well done or something.

Wimbledon 3-1 Oxford
Cheltenham 1-0 Oxford
Oxford 1-1 Gillingham
Oxford 1-1 Cheltenham
Lincoln 2-0 Oxford
Accrington 2-0 Oxford
Morecambe 2-1 Oxford

This is getting some pelters as selective, but I think it is instructive to look at, in particular, the Wimbledon, Gills and Morecambe games. Even, to an extent, the Cheltenham home game where we missed the peno. In all, we were leading, or should have been, and ended up dropping at least two points to teams that could, going into the final week of the season, be relegated (Robins aside). That's where the concern is.

And it's not like it was isolated to these fixtures, either. In fact, having just had a quick look, I make it 27 points dropped from winning positions this season. I'm not sure how that compares to a usual season but it seems f*****g loads.

This is getting some pelters as selective, but I think it is instructive to look at, in particular, the Wimbledon, Gills and Morecambe games. Even, to an extent, the Cheltenham home game where we missed the peno. In all, we were leading, or should have been, and ended up dropping at least two points to teams that could, going into the final week of the season, be relegated (Robins aside). That's where the concern is.

And it's not like it was isolated to these fixtures, either. In fact, having just had a quick look, I make it 27 points dropped from winning positions this season. I'm not sure how that compares to a usual season but it seems f*****g loads.

Just seems like you can’t bring up valid points now if they aren’t positive. The old KR spin really has gone to peoples heads

• Haha
Reactions: m

Wimbledon 3-1 Oxford
Cheltenham 1-0 Oxford
Oxford 1-1 Gillingham
Oxford 1-1 Cheltenham
Lincoln 2-0 Oxford
Accrington 2-0 Oxford
Morecambe 2-1 Oxford

Oxford 1 Crewe 0
Oxford 3 Lincoln 1
Oxford 5 Accrington 1
Oxford 2 Shrewsbury 0
Burton 1 Oxford 3
Oxford 3 Morecambe 1
Oxford 3 Fleetwood 1
Doncaster 1 Oxford 2

A perfect 24 points, compared to your possible 21.

How many points did we gain from losing positions though?

No reason, just curious.

Whichever ever way we spin it, it comes down to the whole season not an isolated run of games.

I am sure we have gained points were we ”got out of jail” too, so probably evens itself out over the season.

We just fell off the pace at a crucial time where we didn’t have enough games to put things right.

And they were promoted in 2021 with a GD of +37.

It maybe exposes Darren Ferguson’s level. Good enough for League 1 with his attacking flair massively exposed at the second tier.
He left on 20th Feb
They have only picked up 7 points since then in 13 games.
I think it's more to do with the big step up to the Championship and what DM can/can't provide in terms of player investment at that level.

Whichever ever way we spin it, it comes down to the whole season not an isolated run of games.

I am sure we have gained points were we ”got out of jail” too, so probably evens itself out over the season.

We just fell off the pace at a crucial time where we didn’t have enough games to put things right.

I don’t know how many points we gained from say the 80th minute but it seems like a lot.

That could be a positive if we say we never give up / attacking side / stamina

Or negative that we concede too many / don’t score early enough.

I’ll have a look I think I have a football website bookmarked that will do a league based on the first 80 minutes or many other time slots.

I don’t know how many points we gained from say the 80th minute but it seems like a lot.

That could be a positive if we say we never give up / attacking side / stamina

Or negative that we concede too many / don’t score early enough.

I’ll have a look I think I have a football website bookmarked that will do a league based on the first 80 minutes or many other time slots.

I certainly think there were many games where we should have been out of sight but ended up conceding first.

Likewise, we didn’t seem to take advantage when taking an early lead on occasion.

All ifs and buts.

Obviously needed to tighten up in defence and we would have got away with many missed opportunities in front of goal.

Really disappointed with how our playoff chance dissipated in those few games, but I am struggling to be too downhearted given what potentially could lie ahead for us..

Oxford 1 Crewe 0
Oxford 3 Lincoln 1
Oxford 5 Accrington 1
Oxford 2 Shrewsbury 0
Burton 1 Oxford 3
Oxford 3 Morecambe 1
Oxford 3 Fleetwood 1
Doncaster 1 Oxford 2

A perfect 24 points, compared to your possible 21.
Gillingham 2-7 Oxford too. Although I'm expecting the old "penalties don't count" argument there.

It's pretty obvious it was a very strong promotion picture. It's easy to be selective about results but ultimately what killed it were the three defeats in a row in April.

9 clean sheets in 52 games this season.

Valid?
Very much so. It needs sorting out ahead of next season and it cost us way too much. Makes you wonder where we would have been if we had say, 18 clean sheets?

Back
Top Bottom