Matches The Flag Picture Archive

That match was played in serious heat. Our taxi screen was showing 42 centigrade when we arrived, we then had to break into the ground by scaling the perimeter wall and start setting up the flags. Our plastic flag poles were melting in the sun.

Sun, Sea, Sex and Skarz flag some fans had made was a personal highlight!

Some great memories there. The early days of the group were good fun, just a load of young lads getting together to have fun and support the team. Being non league helped at the time, as it was relaxed and the away days great fun. But unfortunately time moved on and things change, only a couple of the lads still go now days for various reasons. I don’t think people realised at the time how much effort and money it took to do all that, let alone the hassle. Countless days spent painting and sewing, days setting up displays before the match. Even just hanging all the banners up along the back wall took a long time! Then there was the resistance from the club at every turn. Granted it improved over the years, but it did feel like we were on speed dial from the Club to get our weekly bollocking for whatever we had done the week before.

I’ve still got most of these flags in storage. Some classics over the years. Proud of what we achieved for just a bunch of teenagers at the time and it’s great to see it was and still is appreciated. Maybe with some good fan involvement in the new stadium design something can be done to make the home ground more atmosphere friendly and who knows.

It’s been a while since I’ve posted on here, not since the OM forum days really!

Z.

Some great memories there. The early days of the group were good fun, just a load of young lads getting together to have fun and support the team. Being non league helped at the time, as it was relaxed and the away days great fun. But unfortunately time moved on and things change, only a couple of the lads still go now days for various reasons. I don’t think people realised at the time how much effort and money it took to do all that, let alone the hassle. Countless days spent painting and sewing, days setting up displays before the match. Even just hanging all the banners up along the back wall took a long time! Then there was the resistance from the club at every turn. Granted it improved over the years, but it did feel like we were on speed dial from the Club to get our weekly bollocking for whatever we had done the week before.

I’ve still got most of these flags in storage. Some classics over the years. Proud of what we achieved for just a bunch of teenagers at the time and it’s great to see it was and still is appreciated. Maybe with some good fan involvement in the new stadium design something can be done to make the home ground more atmosphere friendly and who knows.

It’s been a while since I’ve posted on here, not since the OM forum days really!

Z.
You were a class act and one of the best things about the club for many many years. Thanks for everything you did.

As you say, time moves on and priorities change (and not least when barriers are put up by those who should have been making life easier).

And yes, optimism for the future too in the new ground. If a new set of young supporters can generate a third of what you guys did, we’ll be onto a winner.

Thanks again.

Back
Top Bottom