National News The BBC

Don't worry...we have the launch of GB News to look forward to. This will surely give us all the unbiased reportage of all the important events, home and abroad that we crave and deserve so badly.

LONG LIVE THE FREE PRESS

:oops: :oops: :oops:

Well they are talking rubbish - as are people on the other side who claim there is endemic tight wing bias. There are of course examples here or there where individual contributors have certain view on certain matters. That does not mean the BBC as an entity have some sort of deliberate bias. I suspect when some of the right wing contributors shout 'left wing bias' it is simply when the BBC is holding the government to account - as it did when we had a Labour government, and (guess what?) then it was the left leaning who shouted 'right wing bias'!
I agree with you, they are talking rubbish... but who has said 'there is endemic right wing bias'?

I said this....
To start again...

Elsewhere on the political threads the issue of BBC bias has been raised. Some say it has a right wing bias, some a left, some think it's got it about right.

I was firmly in the 'got out about right' camp up until a year or so ago. I now think the BBC, at times, goes easy on the government and it has coincided with the government's criticism and boycotts (e.g. Newsnight) of the BBC and its threats to its funding.

To explore this I started this thread. Just to make it clear the BBC isn't Fox news so any bias, perceived or otherwise, will be subtle and nuanced.

I agree with you, they are talking rubbish... but who has said 'there is endemic right wing bias'?

I said this....
"I now think the BBC, at times, goes easy on the government and it has coincided with the government's criticism and boycotts (e.g. Newsnight) of the BBC and its threats to its funding."

That sounds to me as if you are accusing the BBC of deliberately not being diligent when holding to government to account. Which (seeing as the government is right wing) would be 'endemic right wing bias', wouldn't it?

"I now think the BBC, at times, goes easy on the government and it has coincided with the government's criticism and boycotts (e.g. Newsnight) of the BBC and its threats to its funding."

That sounds to me as if you are accusing the BBC of deliberately not being diligent when holding to government to account. Which (seeing as the government is right wing) would be 'endemic right wing bias', wouldn't it?
No.

Endemic ≠ at times

Absolutely! Seven pages in and still not a single example of left wing bias at the BBC.

I suggest that when you actually critically analyse it with a level head it isn't there.
I posted several but you won't accept "Tory flag waving" articles.

doesnt it usually depend who is in power by who the bbc will be baised too?.

A lot of people seem to think the BBC's job is to hold the government to account. It isn't, it's to provide an informational news service.

A lot of people seem to think the BBC's job is to hold the government to account. It isn't, it's to provide an informational news service.
So if a politician, any politician, lies you don't think the BBC should call it out? And if a politician, any politician, bend the truth or tells half the story you think the BBC should just leave it unchallenged?

So if a politician, any politician, lies you don't think the BBC should call it out? And if a politician, any politician, bend the truth or tells half the story you think the BBC should just leave it unchallenged?
If you expect the BBC to call out every lie a politician makes there will never be time for anything else. Still waiting for Labour's claim the Tories were going to sell the NHS to Trump 🤣

If you expect the BBC to call out every lie a politician makes there will never be time for anything else. Still waiting for Labour's claim the Tories were going to sell the NHS to Trump 🤣
Do you not want to answer the question?

Do you not want to answer the question?
Your question relies on their being an unquestionable truth when a lot of the claims politicians make are debateable and refer to grey areas. You can't "call something out" as a lie if its a claim such as Labour's "The Tories are going to sell the NHS to Trump", it is absurd but a prediction like that cannot be outright called a lie because that would involve predicting the future.

Politicians are clever in the way they tell lies, calling them out normally depends on what you personally believe to be the truth.

Your question relies on their being an unquestionable truth when a lot of the claims politicians make are debateable and refer to grey areas. You can't "call something out" as a lie if its a claim such as Labour's "The Tories are going to sell the NHS to Trump", it is absurd but a prediction like that cannot be outright called a lie because that would involve predicting the future.

Politicians are clever in the way they tell lies, calling them out normally depends on what you personally believe to be the truth.

You can call it a lie if you are a disgruntled minority....... :D

Yes of course a lot of it will be grey area stuff but when someone clearly lies, like Handcock the other day when he said their had been no PPE shortages earlier in the year, should they be called out.

For the grey area stuff surely you need robust challenge to try and bring some clarity to the issue under discussion.

Absolutely! Seven pages in and still not a single example of left wing bias at the BBC.

I suggest that when you actually critically analyse it with a level head it isn't there.

Consistent messaging from inside the organization from both left and right individuals, declaring a systemic left wing bias, is pervasive evidence.

I’ve already explained above about sourcing evidence and the reasons people aren’t going to service the needs on your bizarre expectations of how dissertation research should work by providing singular examples.

Seems pointless anyway as you’ve clearly not read or deliberately ignored the independent report I’ve attached which did academic research to reach the conclusion .

So we are in a discussion where you ignore what’s presented and just ask for something different. And that’s because you’ve already lost the debate.

Let’s not even delve into how ridiculous it is to present quotation marks as evidence of a conclusive theory and expect people to counter that.

I think what you’re confused about is where centrism sits along the political horse shoe.

Attachments

• 67CF812C-D4FD-4D72-B5ED-97D62D3FD464.png
    67CF812C-D4FD-4D72-B5ED-97D62D3FD464.png
    427.1 KB · Views: 8
  • BF32F3AB-138C-40F7-B9D8-1870106D1B62.png
    BF32F3AB-138C-40F7-B9D8-1870106D1B62.png
    444.4 KB · Views: 8
  • 9C091B2D-2834-4B63-AD55-1E232858DCE0.png
    9C091B2D-2834-4B63-AD55-1E232858DCE0.png
    488.8 KB · Views: 8
Consistent messaging from inside the organization from both left and right individuals, declaring a systemic left wing bias, is pervasive evidence.

I’ve already explained above about sourcing evidence and the reasons people aren’t going to service the needs on your bizarre expectations of how dissertation research should work by providing singular examples.

Seems pointless anyway as you’ve clearly not read or deliberately ignored the independent report I’ve attached which did academic research to reach the conclusion .

So we are in a discussion where you ignore what’s presented and just ask for something different. And that’s because you’ve already lost the debate.

Let’s not even delve into how ridiculous it is to present quotation marks as evidence of a conclusive theory and expect people to counter that.

I think what you’re confused about is where centrism sits along the political horse shoe.
Nowhere have I said that others haven't claimed the BBC has a left wing bias. I know they have. It's out there. All I've asked for is the manifestation of said bias in a news reports etc.

Nowhere have I said that others haven't claimed the BBC has a left wing bias. I know they have. It's out there. All I've asked for is the manifestation of said bias in a news reports etc.

News from today:

+ BBC Newsnight makes allegations against organisation.

+ National Audit office and police respond.

+ Funding appropriately withheld by government until investigation is complete.

+ Organisation collapses

+ Outcome that BBC Newsnight allegations didn’t stack up.

+ BBC headlines story targeting Gove as culpable for the breakdown of a poorly run charity and not their implicated responsibility as the root cause through the BBC Newsnight allegations

...and no I’m not going down the bunny hole of debating an individual randomly selected case for you to think that somehow disproves an overarching concept.

Last edited:
News from today:

+ BBC Newsnight makes allegations against organisation.

+ National Audit office and police respond.

+ Funding appropriately withheld by government until investigation is complete.

+ Organisation collapses

+ Outcome that BBC Newsnight allegations didn’t stack up.

+ BBC headlines story targeting Gove as culpable for the breakdown of a poorly run charity and not their implicated responsibility as the root cause through the BBC Newsnight allegations

...and no I’m not going down the bunny hole of debating an individual randomly selected case for you to think that somehow disproves an overarching concept.
Ok, so I'm reading a report about a claim made by the founder of Kids Company. The report quotes her claim, quotes the government and gives some other relevant detail. Sides aren't taken, comment isn't given. What am I missing?
Is there a critical fact that is deliberately being withheld the BBC?

Ok, so I'm reading a report about a claim made by the founder of Kids Company. The report quotes her claim, quotes the government and gives some other relevant detail. Sides aren't taken, comment isn't given. What am I missing?
Is there a critical fact that is deliberately being withheld the BBC?

The BBC started the ball rolling via Newsnight`s allegation
The BBC, conveniently ignoring/minimising their involvement, are now pointing the finger at the Government because they stepped in.

About as simplistic as it can be.

The BBC`s role in the issue gets all of 7 words in this report....

As the Trustee`s statement said.....

"Kids Company was forced to close in August 2015 following what the judge records as 'unfounded allegations' of child abuse, which made fundraising from private and government sources impossible."

That was the "cherry on top" that finished them off and made them untenable ... and that is ignoring the NAO & HoC Public Accounts Committee reporting they were not fit for purpose.

Last edited:
The BBC started the ball rolling via Newsnight`s allegation
Why are you saying it's Newsnight's allegation and not a report of the founder of Kids Company allegations as the headline says?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom