General Terry Venables - RIP

Fantastic bloke, and had the pleasure of speaking with him some years back, when he was Tottenham boss. A very likeable bloke, and his love and knowledge of the game was second to none. Also a decent tactician.

RIP Terry Venables. Shame!

Reckon the 4-1 thumping of the Dutch in Euro 96 was one of the two best England performances of my (45 year) lifetime (the 5-1 in Munich being the other).
Who knows what he could have achieved in the role if the FA hadn't messed him around, and had given him a proper run.......

It's also hard to imagine a career progression these days for an English manager of Palace-to-QPR-to-Barcelona! And he then won them their first La Liga for over a decade. El Tel was pretty unique.....

RIP.
I wouldn't call him a legend unfortunately because I don't think he fulfilled his potential. I think one of the biggest faults was when he couldn't stay on as England manager, could have led to much more than it did.

Was years ahead of his time as a coach/manager, should of been given the England job for longer, but like Clough wasn’t an FA man and back then (and pretty much now) it’s a conservative organisation that doesn’t want to be disturbed to much.

RIP and thanks for playing a big part in a truly golden age for this country, the mid 90s, always remember the 4-1 win over Holland.

In the Euros, England actually looked as if they were playing the same game as sine if the better sides in the world.
He was very good with the players and a very good tactician.
RIP El tel

Rip, a multi talented person, can remember reading his novel, "they used to play in grass" as a youngster,his coaching record days it all

Euro 96 was a competition that brought the Nation together and made it dare to dream, will never forget that gane against the Netherlands, undoubtedly the best summer football for an England team, shame he did not get a chance to finish the job

Rip, a multi talented person, can remember reading his novel, "they used to play in grass" as a youngster,his coaching record days it all
And his name can be found on the credits of the TV series 'Hazell' as a writer. Something you don't expect an England football manager to do!

Not only was he a great manager but he was a great person by all accounts. As others have said light years ahead of other managers at that time. Should have managed England for longer but wasn’t the clean cut yes man the FA wanted. He picked England up from rock bottom and transformed them into a team the whole country was proud of. Thinking back to the years before he became coach watching England was very depressing, Euro 92 (Brolin, Dahlin, Brolin) and World Cup 94 qualification (he’s gonna flick one).
RIP El Tel

Back
Top Bottom