General John Motson RIP

SteMerritt

Moderator & English Language Pedant
Staff member
Just seen this, and nowadays 77 is quite young. Loved listening to his commentary, and thought he was excellent at his job.

RIP Motty

RIP. Grew up listening to him, probably my favourite commentator of all time. Commentated on us during the glory years, remember this one against Leeds - "17 goals this season....how do you stop John Aldridge?" 💛

Last edited:
Very sad day for me. Remember having a drink with Motty after that Leeds match in the "Executive Club" - which was basically a cupboard under the Beech Road stand!!
RIP John.

Very sad day for me. Remember having a drink with Motty after that Leeds match in the "Executive Club" - which was basically a cupboard under the Beech Road stand!!
RIP John.

Being generous calling it a cupboard!

It was only last season, when we played MK away, that I last saw him. I was talking with Mick Brown and he came up and said to Mick "You're Mick Brown, aren't you?" It was a bit surreal, as surely it should be us saying "You're John Motson aren't you?" It turns out he'd had dealings with Mick over the years and remembered him.

He was actually a really nice bloke, although I do remember thinking at the time how old and "doddery" he had become, so I'm a bit shocked to find that he was only 77 years old.

RIP Motty, glad to have met you.

Just seen this on Twitter, a letter written by Motty in 1988 to Ian Dennis, now the BBC Radio 5 live football commentator and reporter.
He seemed like not only a nice person, but so talented. Iconic voice, capturing the moments, really had every aspect you need to be successful in that career.

As others have said, 77, these days, does not feel that old. His longevity in the broadcasting game however is still something to behold.

Very sad and shocked to hear this. He was getting on a bit but 77 is relatively 'young' nowadays.

I was 8 in 1972 and well recall the Ronnie Radford goal, that game probably defined the 70's more than any other match - knee deep in mud, 30 yarders in the top corner, cup shocks. Colchester v Leeds probably rivalled the Hereford game that made Motson famous.

He was undoubtedly a great commentator but I always thought, for football, David Coleman and Hugh Johns were the stand outs.

RIP

It was only last season, when we played MK away, that I last saw him. I was talking with Mick Brown and he came up and said to Mick "You're Mick Brown, aren't you?" It was a bit surreal, as surely it should be us saying "You're John Motson aren't you?" It turns out he'd had dealings with Mick over the years and remembered him.

He was actually a really nice bloke, although I do remember thinking at the time how old and "doddery" he had become, so I'm a bit shocked to find that he was only 77 years old.

RIP Motty, glad to have met you.
Still had a good head of hair!! Your description of him makes it all the more poignant. Will be missed I am sure, as is Kenneth Wolstenholme.

Sad to hear. I ran into him coming out of the Beech Road stand after one of the matches. I was a bit star struck and he was in full clobber including the sheepskin.

Back
Top Bottom