General Stoppage time

Do you remember when we were in the conference some teams would have a first goalscorer sweepstake ? Will make that a mockery if there is ten minutes added time at the end of the first half every match.
Why

A visible stop clock is used in Texas high school “soccer”. It works very well. It’s not used for throw ins etc just injuries and goals and subs. Doesn’t extend the game much as there’s no time wasting but I’ve seen refs add time back in when they perceived there to be a time wasting event.

Far more transparent for fans and everyone. Players know they can’t play the system. Game is run efficiently and ref can’t be challenged in how much time he added

I would like to see it introduced. I understand the concerns of games running on for an extra 15minutes with little to play for. But I think that would only be a short term problem because time wasting itself would become pointless.

I agree - and actually I think it could be a very short term problem.

Because even by halfway through the World Cup, teams had already stopped timewasting for the most part.

All the ridiculous gamesmanship - goalies running across the box to reposition a goal kick, players wandering into the middle of the pitch before they get substituted, players pretending not to know where to take a free kick/throw-in from etc. etc. - which is an absolute blight on the game would be eliminated.

I think having to sit through an extra five minutes of a crap game is worth that.

Back
Top Bottom