General Stoppage time

I like the idea of longer added on time like they did in Qatar BUT could you imagine a game like last Saturday or recent games against Wycombe or any other team that enjoy time wasting you'd be sat at the kassam or an away ground for hours 🤔

In the middle of January, on a freezing cold day in a run of the mill mid table clash between two league one sides I don't know if I really want to watch another 18 minutes of time added on, great for Sky/Bt who have time to kill on sports channels, fine if you are sat on your a**e at home in the warm watching, but like VAR this is another one that doesn't really improve the match going supporter experience very much, the supposed improvement never really adds up to that much.

Just book more players for time wasting, enforce the rules as they are rather change them.

In the middle of January, on a freezing cold day in a run of the mill mid table clash between two league one sides I don't know if I really want to watch another 18 minutes of time added on, great for Sky/Bt who have time to kill on sports channels, fine if you are sat on your a**e at home in the warm watching, but like VAR this is another one that doesn't really improve the match going supporter experience very much, the supposed improvement never really adds up to that much.

Just book more players for time wasting, enforce the rules as they are rather change them.
It’s really annoying that s**t teams have all adopted the tactic of the keeper suddenly going down injured with no one near them. The ref should make them go off and let the game continue.

It’s really annoying that s**t teams have all adopted the tactic of the keeper suddenly going down injured with no one near them. The ref should make them go off and let the game continue.

We time waste as bad as anyone when the result is in our favour, it's just not often that its going our way unfortunately. Everyone says it about the opposition but its pretty standard if one team does it then they all do it.

The goalie one seems to be a new one for this season though, its amazing how many times a goalie makes a very routine catch of a cross and then requires treatment, for a position where injury's rarely happen they suddenly seem to be picking them up from something no more strenuous that a game of catch between a child and grandparent, then they are fine seconds after.

I've always believed that the referee should book the first person who wastes time, even the goalkeeper. Once the players know that they will be properly punished they will be reluctant to do it.
With regard to the proposed changes in time-keeping, you would hope that teams would soon realise that time-wasting is of no benefit because the game will be extended anyway. Of course this depends on the rules being enforced fully and consistently, so probably won't happen.

I would:

Introduce a visible clock, which is stopped for major incidents. Goals, injuries, substitutions.
Also enforce the time-wasting rules properly for goal kicks, throws, free kicks etc. If you don't do it in 10 seconds then it is the equivalent of a 'foul throw' and the other team gets the throw (or a corner or a free kick). One warning and then a booking.
All players crowding the ref get a yellow, but the captain is allowed to make representations.
Any team playing in a red shirt has to start with a 0-2 handicap.

That will fix it.

I would like to see it introduced. I understand the concerns of games running on for an extra 15minutes with little to play for. But I think that would only be a short term problem because time wasting itself would become pointless.

It could be a potential problem for the TV channels with scheduling. But they have always coped with extra time and penalties.

I would:

Introduce a visible clock, which is stopped for major incidents. Goals, injuries, substitutions.
Also enforce the time-wasting rules properly for goal kicks, throws, free kicks etc. If you don't do it in 10 seconds then it is the equivalent of a 'foul throw' and the other team gets the throw (or a corner or a free kick). One warning and then a booking.
All players crowding the ref get a yellow, but the captain is allowed to make representations.
Any team playing in a red shirt has to start with a 0-2 handicap.

That will fix it.
I want rolling subs. So long as the player coming on is not interfering with play, why not just allow the switch.

Same as injurys, in Rugby players are treated as the game goes on, why not in Football? Big enough pitch.

Same as injurys, in Rugby players are treated as the game goes on, why not in Football? Big enough pitch.
Football is MUCH quicker than Rugby, there is way more chance an injured player plus physio will be in the way of the game. Also, it will potentially mess about with the offside rule depending on where the injury is.

Rolling Subs may be workable though, but I could imagine the uproar if we tried to change a full-back (just imagine we have more than one of these) from the opposite side of the pitch and our opponents spot this and spring an attack down that side...

I really enjoyed it when Darren Drysdale turned the ball over to us for an indirect free kick when the Exeter keeper was clearly wasting time on New Year's Day.

About the only enjoyable thing from that match.

Rolling Subs may be workable though, but I could imagine the uproar if we tried to change a full-back (just imagine we have more than one of these) from the opposite side of the pitch and our opponents spot this and spring an attack down that side...
Wouldn't that be up to the 'substituting' team though? They'd have to pick and choose when to make the substitutions.

Wouldn't that be up to the 'substituting' team though? They'd have to pick and choose when to make the substitutions.
True, but some players will always be on the other side of the pitch from the bench. You'd either have to wait for a stoppage, or compromise a set piece. Not really ideal.

Definitely worth a trial though, try it in one of the lower pyramid divisions like they did with kick-ins instead of throw-ins a few years back.

The more i think about it the less I like the idea of the game being dragged out any longer, most games are 90% people making small talk in the stands and then 10% something happening (I realise using us this season is a bad example but there you go), it won't be extra excitement, it will just be another ten minutes before we get to the exciting last couple of minutes.

It will genuinely just lead to even more people leaving early, in the case of night games probably understandably so as people have transport to catch and work early the next morning.

The more i think about it the less I like the idea of the game being dragged out any longer, most games are 90% people making small talk in the stands and then 10% something happening (I realise using us this season is a bad example but there you go), it won't be extra excitement, it will just be another ten minutes before we get to the exciting last couple of minutes.

It will genuinely just lead to even more people leaving early, in the case of night games probably understandably so as people have transport to catch and work early the next morning.
Yes I don't want the game to be longer, I want the players to get on with it! And if there's more stoppage time we'd have even more chance of throwing away a lead.

Stopping/starting the clock sounds good in practice, but I do wonder if a new game management plan would evolve.

As the season nears it's end, the results of others can be equally as important as your own and there are scenarios where you might need or not need to score depending on scores in other matches. You would want to have the option of ensuring your game finishes later than others in case there is a late goal elsewhere which affects your own position.

I like the idea of longer added on time like they did in Qatar BUT could you imagine a game like last Saturday or recent games against Wycombe or any other team that enjoy time wasting you'd be sat at the kassam or an away ground for hours [emoji848]
60 minutes play with stopping the visible clock every time the ball is out-of play.

There is then no benefit to a team time-wasting... such as taking an age for a throw in, goal keepers always going to the opposite side to take a goal kick, feigning injury etc etc.

I'd guess games would actually have more 'play' than currently and finish earlier!

Other sports do it easily, so surely professional football can.

Football is MUCH quicker than Rugby, there is way more chance an injured player plus physio will be in the way of the game. Also, it will potentially mess about with the offside rule depending on where the injury is.

A team in our 5 aside league once tried that. They had a sub striker and defender at each end of the pitch and substituted accordingly. We were effectively playing against a 6 man side.

Do you remember when we were in the conference some teams would have a first goalscorer sweepstake ? Will make that a mockery if there is ten minutes added time at the end of the first half every match.

Back
Top Bottom