shambles...

Oh I see moving goalposts, do we have a Top 6 budget this season, you must know to state that we haven’t.
Yes DE did state he put up ST to give the manager a bigger budget, how do know this isn’t the case?

We couldn't afford to match Bury for Macguire, or Fleetwood for McKeleny, tells me. These were two important players fro the squad. If we had the same levels of money eales alluded to, then these two would surely have been kept.

Rather depressing really LR, defending a chairman who has run for the hills, again, rather than challenging his motives, which is what we should be doing more as Oxford fans. Like our players we are far too passive and accepting of the mushroom treatment.

We couldn't afford to match Bury for Macguire, or Fleetwood for McKeleny, tells me. These were two important players fro the squad. If we had the same levels of money eales alluded to, then these two would surely have been kept.

Rather depressing really LR, defending a chairman who has run for the hills, again, rather than challenging his motives, which is what we should be doing more as Oxford fans. Like our players we are far too passive and accepting of the mushroom treatment.

[/QUOT

We hardly operate on a level playing field due to our landlord!. Also both players moved back north and in Conors case his girlfriend wouldn't move down here and he had a business up there. I believe we matched Fleetwood (who are being heavy funded) on wages. To be fair Bury did out bid us on Maguire but is also think he didn't help himself at Oxford by always only signing short contracts

Still moving the goalposts around from your original post, if you can't answer it because you don't know the answers fine, that's not defending anyone just asking you to qualify your hollow promises remark.

A bit weak trying to name 2 players that we didn't keep, how about you go the whole hog and name the whole list who left for more money.
Maguire, Dunkley, lundstrum, Johnson, Edwards, McAleny, why didn't we keep the lot of them by at least doubling their money, I'm sure the rest of the squad would of applauded that move in busting the wage structure.

Or Pep didn't think Maguire was worth what he wanted and Maguire signed for a club nearer his family that would pay that. Or that McAleny didn't want to move south and signing for Fleetwood meant he didn't have to move.

Easy to put a different spin on it which rather counters your usual anti DE rant.

I agree that DE should be questioned on certain decisions, such as why did he shift the emphasis on recruitment so far from the tried and trusted method that has served us so well. Why did he allow PEP to bring in players that were clearly not up to the challenge.
Why has he allowed the fan - club relationship that he was so important in establishing to deteriorate e.g the situation regarding flags. Why has he remained so quiet this season compared to last. I would also question him on whether he sees the childish spelling and tedious joke references to his name as tiresome as I do.
Appleton left to work in the Premiership, he has stated that on more than one occasion and through various media outlets. According to the OM he had not ruled out a future return so I never blamed finances as a reason for him leaving.
The one thing I will not question him on is this ridiculous top 6 budget nonsense. Can someone, anyone tell me the difference between top 6 and top 7 in financial terms. Is it £10.00 or even £100.00. A thousand maybe and is it enough to make a difference to what happens on the pitch in terms of who we can get in. A budget is something to work with but not something to beat the chairman with.
I do not deny that the club is not in a good place and I guarantee DE knows this and doubt he will rush any decision bearing in mind the errors of pre-season.

If you are going to pick 2 players to justify your rant, at least make the effort to spell their names correctly!!

It's difficult to take your point seriously when you come across as being a bit thick!!

Still moving the goalposts around from your original post, if you can't answer it because you don't know the answers fine, that's not defending anyone just asking you to qualify your hollow promises remark.

A bit weak trying to name 2 players that we didn't keep, how about you go the whole hog and name the whole list who left for more money.
Maguire, Dunkley, lundstrum, Johnson, Edwards, McAleny, why didn't we keep the lot of them by at least doubling their money, I'm sure the rest of the squad would of applauded that move in busting the wage structure.
Did they all leave for more money?

Unfortunately my first 2 attempts at a reply went wrong due to being new to forum's although a long time reader of this one. I think Conor we matched wages but non football issues made that decision and in Chris's case he always wanted a move back nearer to home despite what he may have said
c

Just guessing but I would suggest that Dunkley and McAleny did, though the latter probably had location as big factor in his move. Lundstram and Johnson went for the bigger club and the Championship, the money was an added incentive. Maguire is the tricky one as he was ready to come by his own admission, I rather think the club were undecided and then money did enter into it, why else would you move to Bury.

There is no way Maguire took a pay cut to sign for Bury, especially as they were throwing money around in the summer. As with all the others, they've either gone for the money, a bigger club, or both.

Yes I would move to Bury for that. Think players all move for different reasons. Money does come into it, but is not the primary factor for some players and I think Lundstram comes into that category.

Not moving any goal posts, just giving an opinion, the whole point of a forum The point being, if our budget was increased to the extent that season tickets would have increased it, would we really have let the majority of those players go. Oh it’s would have applauded, not would of.

If you are going to pick 2 players to justify your rant, at least make the effort to spell their names correctly!!

It's difficult to take your point seriously when you come across as being a bit thick!!

Just an opinion, not a rant. You take my point as seriously as you want. Oh and as for being thick, a rather personal point but not unexpected from you, not quite so.

Just an opinion, not a rant. You take my point as seriously as you want. Oh and as for being thick, a rather personal point but not unexpected from you, not quite so.

It might just be an opinion, but when you continue in the face of facts to the contrary it becomes slightly irrational - hence the rant.

Rather than blaming DE for everything, why not take a step back and look at the situation again before jumping to a judgement. McAleny moved home, to a club that throw money around. I don't know but I'd be amazed if he took a pay cut. Likewise with Maguire. Dunkley also got a double your wages offer from a side looking to be one of the favourites. Lundstrum and Johnston moved up a league and Sercombe had been out of favour for ages. So what could the club have done without offering stupid money?

Not moving any goal posts, just giving an opinion, the whole point of a forum The point being, if our budget was increased to the extent that season tickets would have increased it, would we really have let the majority of those players go. Oh it’s would have applauded, not would of.
My point, if you don’t know the figures how do you know promises were hollow.
I would guess, Dunkley, Johnson, Lundstrum moved for higher clubs and more money and it might of took at least a double their money to keep them, it was also the business model.
Edwards was a loan player, were we in a position to match what Burtons valuation was for him .
Maguire had a higher offer from Bury that we couldn’t match.
McAleny I would think moved closer to home for more money.
It’s easy to say bust the bank for a few players, but did the manager think that would eat up too much of the budget and also unsettle the rest of the squad.

Actually, in percentages terms, that’s roughly what happened - our wage budget increased upwards of 30% year-on-year and so did ST in some cases (though most were actually closer to 20%). Darryl did actually give figures at one point; either at a Q&A panel, or when he answered a number of emailed questions. Can’t remember which.

Back
Top Bottom