shambles...

Don't hold your breath. This is a poster who exists solely to denigrate other posters. He is a sort of unguided thread killer. Every time anyone wants to have a discussion that goes beyond adulation, he kills it by taking it off subject matter and turning it into a feud. It's actually a rather effective tactic. I must remember to use it in my day-to-day job!

In answer to the question about the £4 million that came in last summer, it is precisely because of the staging of transfer fees that we received the second £1.2 million on Roofe and COD. Indeed, we are still receiving further payments on COD. We only got the first two thirds of the Marvin payment, though (according to Boro) so that is why the figure is £4 million, not £5.5 million. There is another chunk on that to come this summer.

All of which is great news, and was precisely the model that Ashton set up. Sell a player a summer, reinvest the proceeds in 4 new, better players and the team is both largely kept together and progresses. Hilariously, apparently the reason we didn't do this last summer was because the market was "over-valued".
Right. So you get £2.5 million for a joker like Marvin Johnson, and then complain that the market is over-valued and sign a bunch of crocks on free transfers whilst hiking the ticket prices. It's certainly a business strategy, for sure, but not so much a recipe for footballing success, which was the original intention of the Ashton model.

Lundinsponytail,
The issue, for me, is more about where all this income is going?. I have heard from an 'ITK' chap that there are a couple of folk within the Club lining themselves up to expose some pretty grubby financial goings on - not for detailing here for obvious reasons. Are you the old CharliesGhost and, if so do you have any insider info on this?

For Christ sake cut the back biting, childish and not welcome on a forum, that should be about everyone moving forward together.
The comment about Charlie and his mates not buying the club is the kind of rubbish that should have been left behind on the last forum.
There may come a point, the way things are going that eales needs called to account by fans, properly,as kassam was in the end.
Think about what the OP points out. I'm not comparing eales to kassam, but did kassam ever make as many hollow promises as eales has done.
What we need now is fans united behind an experienced manager, going to Charlton in their droves, not splintered name calling.

Irony?

The club has had more than a fair number of criticisms of late, and that's not including the team itself. There's been a lot of speculation which has become "fact" due to a number of people sharing the speculation.

Some say that DE has disappeared and not been to a match for a long period of time, and claim this to be a fact, whilst others say he was at the Walsall game.

The club has taken action to resolve the problems it has. A new manager will be appointed soon.

Is there a wiki of all the "hollow promises" that DE has made?

How do you differentiate between an "experienced manager", a rookie manager, a novice manager, etc? Does an "experienced manager" necessarily make that person the best person for the job?

Don't hold your breath. This is a poster who exists solely to denigrate other posters. He is a sort of unguided thread killer. Every time anyone wants to have a discussion that goes beyond adulation, he kills it by taking it off subject matter and turning it into a feud. It's actually a rather effective tactic. I must remember to use it in my day-to-day job!

In answer to the question about the £4 million that came in last summer, it is precisely because of the staging of transfer fees that we received the second £1.2 million on Roofe and COD. Indeed, we are still receiving further payments on COD. We only got the first two thirds of the Marvin payment, though (according to Boro) so that is why the figure is £4 million, not £5.5 million. There is another chunk on that to come this summer.

All of which is great news, and was precisely the model that Ashton set up. Sell a player a summer, reinvest the proceeds in 4 new, better players and the team is both largely kept together and progresses. Hilariously, apparently the reason we didn't do this last summer was because the market was "over-valued".
Right. So you get £2.5 million for a joker like Marvin Johnson, and then complain that the market is over-valued and sign a bunch of crocks on free transfers whilst hiking the ticket prices. It's certainly a business strategy, for sure, but not so much a recipe for footballing success, which was the original intention of the Ashton model.
To be fair, you're no better on taking things off topic.

Re the 4 million, are you talking gross or net? I'm struggling to get a cash figure that high without the deductibles such as sell on fees to WBA, Motherwell and Dundee taken care of. Or presumed loan fees for Payne, Mowatt, Gino, etc. Nor the money going out on Pekalski, Mousinho signing on fee, etc

In early Jan, DE said that we'd be returning to the previous transfer policy.

http://www.oxfordmail.co.uk/sport/1..._transfer_window__says_chairman_Darryl_Eales/

It's hard to argue against it considering Dickie, Brannagan and IBR joined us for then.

It begs the questions, did Pep persuade him that his targets were dead certs in League 1 in the summer and DE went along with it? If so, at what point did he call Pep in and inform him that we're going back to the tried-and-tested format?

Pep fired a few shots across at DE when bemoaning selling anyone in this transfer window, so I would think that their relationship may have entered the 'strained' phase before DE had had enough and sacked him after the Bury mess. All conjecture of course, but it does tie in with the 'all is not rosy' narrative that's being played out in front of us.

Irony?

The club has had more than a fair number of criticisms of late, and that's not including the team itself. There's been a lot of speculation which has become "fact" due to a number of people sharing the speculation.

Some say that DE has disappeared and not been to a match for a long period of time, and claim this to be a fact, whilst others say he was at the Walsall game.

The club has taken action to resolve the problems it has. A new manager will be appointed soon.

How do you differentiate between an "experienced manager", a rookie manager, a novice manager, etc? Does an "experienced manager" necessarily make that person the best person for the job?

Not just at the Walsall game but in the away end.

• React
Reactions: Ian
Irony?

Oh dear, ok....Novice/inexperienced = pep
Not just experienced, but experienced and having had a degree of success

-feesgate?
-top 6 budget?
-increased season ticket prices to increase budget?

Haha, sorry Charlie I missed this!! Love the irony about taking threads off track but hey ho!

The fact that we got £2.5m for a 'joker' like Johnson is signs of a crazy transfer market. Someone like Brannagan was on our radar in the summer, but may have been touted at 500k+ (entirely guesswork). This would be seen as a big risk for someone with little experience. Pep comes in and pushes the experienced and potentially better player in Ivo and it appears a no brainer. 6 months on Ivo hasn't played and Brannagan's price has dropped to a reported 200k. Time will tell if this is a good deal or not, but you can argue that the thinking was sound in both cases.

DE has admitted to the mistakes. He put too much faith in Pep and that has backfired. He has publically returned to the business model that has brought (realitive) success as well as taking the brave decision to sack Pep (the easy and cheaper option would be to drift towards safety).

You are a critic of DE, and you have your reasons for that. But to dismiss everything as a shambles is an overkill in my view. Many people have tried to sort out the stadium situation without success. There have been lots of changes through the club but we still lose money every year so maybe these changes are needed. Attendance figures are down this season but Portsmouth aside, how many big games have we had on a Saturday? Away first game, away Boxing day etc. These games alone can add a few hundred to the average.

So, of course things are not great. But they are equally not shambolic in my view and there are already signs that DE is learning from this last year. If we look over the last 20 years then this season is a million miles from the crises we've seen!

Shambles!! Really!!

All a bit over dramatic. Lets be patient and see what happens. Getting rid of Pep was the right decision.

I get the feeling that Charlie has a chip on his shoulder since the Stew Donald deal fell through and has got worse since the Sartori deal didn't work out.

• React
Shambles!! Really!!

All a bit over dramatic. Lets be patient and see what happens. Getting rid of Pep was the right decision.

I get the feeling that Charlie has a chip on his shoulder since the Stew Donald deal fell through and has got worse since the Sartori deal didn't work out.

Chip [emoji15]. It’s a potato fondant

Shambles!! Really!!

Careful, he'll be calling you names next!!

Oh dear, ok....Novice/inexperienced = pep
Not just experienced, but experienced and having had a degree of success

-feesgate?
-top 6 budget?
-increased season ticket prices to increase budget?
Enlighten us then, which of these are true or not true?

What do you mean enlighten?

Feesgate-three players for fees, never happened!
Top 6 budget-Have we really?
Massive increase in season tickets-have we seen the return?
Your boy is way off the mark with promises unfortunately

You are aware we have paid for 2 players this month and had to pay a loan fee to Man City?

My boy:D very good.
so you stated they are hollow promises, but you can't say whether that statement is true or not.

I think the first one is right, we certainly didn't get the 3 players as was suggested.
You will have to help me out on the second one, where have you seen we haven't got a top 6 budget?
The third one is not a promise, we did have a ST increase to increase our budget, but that doesn't guarantee success.

• React
My boy:D very good.
so you stated they are hollow promises, but you can't say whether that statement is true or not.

I think the first one is right, we certainly didn't get the 3 players as was suggested.
You will have to help me out on the second one, where have you seen we haven't got a top 6 budget?
The third one is not a promise, we did have a ST increase to increase our budget, but that doesn't guarantee success.

Oh sweetie, do you really think your doyenne gave Appleton a top 6 budget, clearly not.
Equally eels did state that season tickets were going to go up to allow the manager to have a larger budget.

So we now hear the board haven’t spoken to Lampard, and say that it could be a drawn out process.

We have had the opportunity to spend the week sourcing a manager, allowing him to bring in a couple of players, and get to know the squad before the Charlton game. As with everything recently eels has his head in the sand, and giving the impression he couldn’t give a damn.

Am I critical, sorry sweetie I am. Your doyenne is doing the club more harm than good in recent months, with his deathly silence.

It’s panning out like the Patterson appointment at the moment, nothing from the club, and potentially jobs for the boys, ie Fazakerly, which would be an awful decision, as Tuesdays abysmal showing hi-lighted.

Oh sweetie, do you really think your doyenne gave Appleton a top 6 budget, clearly not.
Equally eels did state that season tickets were going to go up to allow the manager to have a larger budget.

So we now hear the board haven’t spoken to Lampard, and say that it could be a drawn out process.

We have had the opportunity to spend the week sourcing a manager, allowing him to bring in a couple of players, and get to know the squad before the Charlton game. As with everything recently eels has his head in the sand, and giving the impression he couldn’t give a damn.

Am I critical, sorry sweetie I am. Your doyenne is doing the club more harm than good in recent months, with his deathly silence.

It’s panning out like the Patterson appointment at the moment, nothing from the club, and potentially jobs for the boys, ie Fazakerly, which would be an awful decision, as Tuesdays abysmal showing hi-lighted.

You mean Faz who is respected throughout football?

Isn't Faz respected as a coach, not a manager. Which is a job he has never really had.

I'm not saying he can't do it, but I am saying I am not sure anyone can say with a degree of certainty he can.

He is a gamble, as is drawn out replacement process at this point.

Isn't Faz respected as a coach, not a manager. Which is a job he has never really had.

I'm not saying he can't do it, but I am saying I am not sure anyone can say with a degree of certainty he can.

He is a gamble, as is drawn out replacement process at this point.

It was more a response to the 'jobs for the boys' comment and the utterly dismissive tone of it.

Oh I see moving goalposts, do we have a Top 6 budget this season, you must know to state that we haven’t.
Yes DE did state he put up ST to give the manager a bigger budget, how do know this isn’t the case?

Back
Top Bottom