National News Rishi Sunak

If I was as a rich as him I wouldn’t do anything for myself either though, that would include being prime minister as well though as there must be more fun things to do when you are loaded than hanging around with politicians.
I thought you were going to start that "if I were a rishi man, da ba da ba da ba da ba da ba do"

I'd like to see it split between Premier League footballers, Chis Martin out of Coldplay, everyone who served in the Tory cabinet post-2010 and you.

I'll let you guys work out the percentages.
I'd like to see those that profited from the pandemic pay.

He can't use a hammer, he can't use a chip and pin machine - what a man of the people he really is........
I have now seen the full video and he was instructed to use the hammer in that manner so I retract my statement about the hammer……but not the chip and pin card, he clearly hasn’t a clue how that worked which given he was Chancellor of the Exchequer at the time is deliciously ironic.

Who’s discredited the Laffer curve then? Abraham
Lincoln?
I’d much prefer my chancellor to have business experience.I’d much prefer most of my politicians to have business experience actually.

You cannot baldly say Brexit has had a negative impact.

Most commercial activity post oir dec 19 exit is still clouded by the pandemic.

On a micro level , I have a client who was initially badly affected by Brexit and market dislocation, who’s found a way and now doing much better than they were before.
The problem with the laffer curve is that it is not predictive. While it’s true that increasing taxes may not increase revenue, the model is far too simplistic to tell you which side of the optimum you are at or what the shape of the distribution is that would give you an idea of the magnitude of the effect you might expect.
So it makes for a good analogy, fits comfortably with some peoples’ ideologies, but is a weak component of any economic strategy.

It is beyond scandalous that the actual government is deliberately inflaming the incredibly tense and complicated Israel Palestine situation just in the hope of winning the votes of a few more unpleasant idiots. There’s no way that Israel-Palestine can be reduced to a left-right issue, and we have a right to expect better from our government.
Absolutely.

It's worth commiting a few moments to read this speech from Eddie Marsan. You won't regret it.

I kinda like the cut of your jib Eric, and I've read most of your books but I'm starting to think you're far too reasoned and unemotional for this forum.😁😉
Thanks @PottersRightBoot . It’s not me saying it it’s the OBR (they gave it a 4% decline on GDP if my memory is right) and also the IFS. These are pretty heavyweight organisations saying exactly that Brexit has had a negative impact. You can make a sovereignty argument for Brexit but not an economic one.

These people can. They’re basing it on evidence. We’re in fact doing really quite well.

The problem with the laffer curve is that it is not predictive. While it’s true that increasing taxes may not increase revenue, the model is far too simplistic to tell you which side of the optimum you are at or what the shape of the distribution is that would give you an idea of the magnitude of the effect you might expect.
So it makes for a good analogy, fits comfortably with some peoples’ ideologies, but is a weak component of any economic strategy.

So we’ll reduce taxes so you can keep more of your own income is a weak component? I’d say it was fundamental.

How many of you lot work for the state as opposed to the private sector incidentally? Would be interesting to find out.

These people can. They’re basing it on evidence. We’re in fact doing really quite well.
🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣
One of the authors won't give his really name and one is Julian Jessop, a believer in .... checks again ...
Trussonomics!!

🤣🤣🤣🤣

From The Telegraph
"The all too brief premiership of Liz Truss began a year ago this week. The first anniversary is another good chance to reflect not just on what went wrong, but also on what she got right. As a supporter of “Trussonomics”, I feel responsible as well.". Julian Jessop

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

So we’ll reduce taxes so you can keep more of your own income is a weak component? I’d say it was fundamental.

How many of you lot work for the state as opposed to the private sector incidentally? Would be interesting to find out.
The whole idea of ‘your own income’ is fairly meaningless. It’s not just ‘your money’, you’re only able to earn money because of the settled structures of society that were created largely from tax revenue. Try earning money in a wasteland where no one was educated or healthy, no one could travel, and there was no law.

The whole idea of ‘your own income’ is fairly meaningless. It’s not just ‘your money’, you’re only able to earn money because of the settled structures of society that were created largely from tax revenue. Try earning money in a wasteland where no one was educated or healthy, no one could travel, and there was no law.
Absolutely spot on. The other thing to add is that the evidence completely contradicts the laffer curve. It simply doesnt work.

Cheers for this. It’s very partisan, though. There are lots of left leaning think tanks that make the opposite point. The thing about the OBR is that it is genuinely independent and has no axe to grind.

Cheers for this. It’s very partisan, though. There are lots of left leaning think tanks that make the opposite point. The thing about the OBR is that it is genuinely independent and has no axe to grind.
]

This is actual evidence though; not forecasting.

All correct; of course my argument is about maximizing tax revenue collection so as to provide these noble services.

That has absolutely zilch to do with the laffer curve.

All correct; of course my argument is about maximizing tax revenue collection so as to provide these noble services.
Which you're basing on the widely discredited Laffer curve🤷‍♂️
Would I be right in thinking that you also fully support "tax efficiency"?

Last edited:

Hardly an unbiased source. Might as well post something from GB News or the Daily Express.

(Are we doing "really well" or just "quite well" ... ?")

No word yet from No10 spokesperson yet on the disgrace of Farage only being ranked third. They are slow, presumably too busy with ‘Eat out.. ‘covering Sunak’s backside.

Back
Top Bottom