General Ray Sargeant

Sarge

God like member
Ray Sargeant ( Ray Stewart Sargeant)- my Dad- passed away on 15th March at the JR, aged 89 and 3 days

A season ticket holder since way before the move to the Breeze Block

a supporter since the Headington United days
from when he was 11 years old, followed the U's for 78 years

last match he watched ( 'watched' !) was the last win this season , 2-1 v Ipswich
after a fall , a short spell in hospital and 2 weeks in a care home, his health seemed to be improving,
he was looking forward to/ hoping to go to the recent home game v Derby ( the day before his 89th birthday)- sadly his health quickly deteriorated again, resulting in him going back into the JR on the Wednesday before the home game V Derby,

he took me to my first game(s) - the first I can actually remember was home to Bath city on an easter Monday, in the first season as Oxford United (1-3 defeat) and my first away game ( first time we played sw*nd*n in the football league - a 0-0 draw )

also responsible for my sister being a ST holder for many years, and an OUFC supporter since the mid- late 60s

his funeral is 18th April- there will be a sizable family contingent at the home game Pompey in SSL

Last edited:
So sorry to hear this. The fact he introduced you to OUFC makes him an amazing man.

My thoughts are with you and your family.

Sorry to hear this, Sarge.

All the best to you and your family. šŸ’›šŸ’™

Oh no, really sad news. Sending best wishes to you and your family @Sarge.

That's sad news, Sarge. Best wishes to you, and all his family and friends.

Very sorry to hear Sarge, all the best to you and the rest of your family.

Very sorry to hear this Sarge. I hope you and all the family are coping. I shall look out for you on the 18th. Mrs L sends her best too.

Hopefully the club will acknowledge your Dad at the game via the scoreboard and Tannoy.

Sorry to hear this Sarge. Thoughts and best wishes to you and your family.

Condolences mate, he's always sounded such a great bloke, the way you've described him over the years.

He bought you up the right way (to be an OUFC fan) and it's great that he took you to your first game at The Manor, a memory that you'll always have.

My dad died about 18 months ago, and unlike yours, he never took me to see OUFC. He grew up in Lake Street, and was an Oxford City fan, so he took me to see them play instead, in the mid 1960's, and refused to take me to see United. I fought against it and when I was 10 my uncle (his brother) took me to The Manor. There was no looking back from then on and I was hooked, but over the years I'd wished it was my dad that had first taken me up there. You do have that though mate, and always will do.

RIP Ray.

Sorry to hear that Sarge, all the best.

Back
Top Bottom