Matches Peterborough Play Off Display

Stewards seemed a bit aggressive when the lads with the SOS banner tried to display it at front of East Stand towards end of the match

Stewards seemed a bit aggressive when the lads with the SOS banner tried to display it at front of East Stand towards end of the match
I mentioned this on the matchday thread but the only thing that took the tiniest shine off a brilliant and unifying day for the club last night was the stewarding.

One young boy was spoken to like an adult for standing on the stairwell, when I said he's only a kid he said if I have a problem with him I'll be ejected from the stadium.

Does anyone know which company the club employs the stewards from? I do not which to tar them all with the same brush at all as I'm sure some are lovely but there are a few who are on a real power trip.

I was under the impression stewards were there yes for crowd management but also to help and assist the crowd. Some in the North Stand seemed to be gagging for some trouble. I really don't think this is a healthy approach to stewarding. Am I just naive? I'm sure i've been to stadiums where stewards are polite and smiley.

I find the police much friendlier and helpful than matchday stewards.

Minor issue and I'm a sensitive soul but it did irk me. Stewards must remember a tiny, tiny percentage of fans are looking for trouble/are aggressive, most just want to have fun and get behind their team. We are supporters not criminals.

I mentioned this on the matchday thread but the only thing that took the tiniest shine off a brilliant and unifying day for the club last night was the stewarding.

One young boy was spoken to like an adult for standing on the stairwell, when I said he's only a kid he said if I have a problem with him I'll be ejected from the stadium.

Does anyone know which company the club employs the stewards from? I do not which to tar them all with the same brush at all as I'm sure some are lovely but there are a few who are on a real power trip.

I was under the impression stewards were there yes for crowd management but also to help and assist the crowd. Some in the North Stand seemed to be gagging for some trouble. I really don't think this is a healthy approach to stewarding. Am I just naive? I'm sure i've been to stadiums where stewards are polite and smiley.

I find the police much friendlier and helpful than matchday stewards.

Minor issue and I'm a sensitive soul but it did irk me. Stewards must remember a tiny, tiny percentage of fans are looking for trouble/are aggressive, most just want to have fun and get behind their team. We are supporters not criminals.
Email your comments and observations to @OUSP so it gets taken forward.

Email your comments and observations to @OUSP so it gets taken forward.
Maybe I should, I have no desire to get any particular steward in trouble and I know dealing with drunk (and other) people on whilst presumably on minimum wage is probably not the most fun at all.

But judging by what Pboro fans say on "X", the East Stand banner thing, and their behaviour in the North Stand, it's like they were briefed to expect trouble from the club (maybe expecting fans would be too tanked up on a Saturday night?). If this is the case I don't think it's smart, as I've said these fans are in the minority. No, not all of our fans are angels but the vast, vast majority go simply to get behind their team. I don't think it's too unreasonable to expect a bit of nuance in how to treat different kinds of fans (particularly children!)

I've never really thought about stewarding before. Maybe it depends on how they are hired, are they hired as "security" or "matchday assistants", seems like quite a big gap between those two ideas?

Maybe we will have a whole new bunch next season anyway and this is all academic.

Maybe I should, I have no desire to get any particular steward in trouble and I know dealing with drunk (and other) people on whilst presumably minimum wage is probably not the most fun at all.

But judging by what Pboro fans say on "X", the East Stand banner thing, and their behaviour in the North Stand, it's like they were briefed to expect trouble from the club (maybe expecting fans would be too tanked up on a Saturday night?). If this is the case I don't think it's smart, as I've said these fans are in the minority. No, not all of our fans are angels but the vast, vast majority go simply to get behind their team. I don't think it's too unreasonable to expect a bit of nuance in how the treat different kinds of fans (particularly children!)

I've never really thought about stewarding before. Maybe it depends on how they are hired, are they hired as "security" or "matchday assistants", seems like quite a big gap between those two ideas?

Maybe we will have a whole new bunch next season anyway and this is all academic.
Maybe, but it is always worth getting these gripes in front of the right people, it may kick off some additional training or guidelines which weren't there before.

Maybe I should, I have no desire to get any particular steward in trouble and I know dealing with drunk (and other) people on whilst presumably on minimum wage is probably not the most fun at all.
You absolutely should.

By plenty of accounts, overzealous stewarding killed the atmosphere at the ground for years. We are literally four games into it being a place where people actually might want to spend their time and money again, and it’s coming up in multiple stands from multiple people.

It needs to be fed back to the club or we can look forward to a sterile library for another few years.

It’s not about getting one worker told off, it’s about the club getting its stuff together on culture and Matchday atmosphere. Supporters want to work with the club to create a great experience at the games and need the trust and support to do so.

Probably a bit of a moan but where my ST is had an ex ST holder and his mate turn up and join the row where they used to be. Not normally a problem when not sold out.

So from my seat at the end of the row i am now pressed right up with my leg to the step to fit everyone in.

Goal goes in and a bundle and I fear I’m about to get my ankle snapped as everyone bounces around.

AITA thinking they should go to their booked seats ?

Didn’t happen but did to someone else.

Only in my personal experience in recent seasons the stewarding in the East Stand has been good.

When my mum (who has Dementia and some mobility issues) was still going to games in the East Stand (it really cheered her up), they'd help us help her down the stairs after every the games and out of the stadium. One lovely steward even offered to help take her back to the car although it wasn't necessary. We wrote to the club thanking the stewards who did that and thanked them in person as well. Those stewards are regulars though so I wonder if the Crowd Management company have hired extra and some of those have behaved out of the norm of the regulars.

I can appreciate our experience might not the same as everybody else's though.

Can @OxVox @OUSP @John Lennon or whoever was involved in yesterday’s SOS display make sure it’s available for the Planning Committee date?

Would be great to take it to there alongside dozens of us fans so we can give a public display before the meeting starts.

Just keen to make sure it doesn’t get locked away somewhere which we can’t then access when the committee date is known and we need it.

Last edited:
The display looked good on Sky. I wonder what Posh and their fans are planning for the second leg?

I don’t think it should be underestimated the impact of all of this great work by John Lennon and co. Thank-you…it’s quite emotional seeing and hearing the place like this.
We need to make sure that this continues. Whether it be fan donations, payments by the club, or assistance and support by additional folk who feel inclined.
I have sat for many hours during this season alone wondering what needs to happen to get us in to the second tier. I’ve had some ideas regarding the football side of things like most of us have, but this is it isn’t it!? Something proactive, tangible and controllable. Just imagine if we had rolled out this effort 23 times this season…

The club shouldn’t pay for anything to ensure it remains led by fans without restriction. Yes, they could provide a place to keep the banners, poles etc. in the East Stand like they did years ago. Yes, they can ensure the lads get access early to set up the display, give them leeway to stand where they want (within reason) but you wouldn’t want the club subsiding displays IMO.

Back
Top Bottom