General Oxford Fanatics Reappearance - Missing Money

It's also worth saying, I advised the group to put a tweet out acknowledging the past, even though it wasn't down to them.

This is all on me, not the group of young lads now trying to take things forward. I will remain in an advisory role throughout next season at least to help everything be done correctly and to deal with any issues that come up.
Thank you for your explanation John.
One thing to me is sure- we badly need an improvement in atmosphere, and Saturday was a definite step forwards.
With your involvement and that of OUSP, I think that we do need to give you guys a chance and draw a line under what has happened

In the build up to Saturday, £336.70 was donated. £228.99 was spent on the display. £107.71 remains.

Some of the lads involved paid around £125 of their own money towards it, which is separate from the money donated above.

Total cost of Saturdays display, around £350.

In the build up to Saturday, £336.70 was donated. £228.99 was spent on the display. £107.71 remains.

Some of the lads involved paid around £125 of their own money towards it, which is separate from the money donated above.

That’s the sort of detail I, as a previous donor, would like before I am confident enough to contribute further.
Could you say what the £350 actually bought? As an East Stand inhabitant I found a yellow balloon on my seat. I think the next nearest on was three seats away. Did the money also buy streamers? Anything else?
Thanks for your efforts, John.

Good transparency.

No one ever asked for this from the old ultras as they were there to be trusted & never ever let down us.

The fanatics start with no trust (which I think is fair) but I’m sure everyone would like to give them a second chance as it will help the atmosphere and home game experiences.

Breaking down the costs of these displays and announcing the money they’ve raised month to month for a while could be a good way to go to build back that trust with a lot of the fanbase.

I have messaged him separately to say so- but thank you JL for organising this!

I couldn't care less if a bit of the budget gets stuck in a kitty for a round of beers for the people going out of their way to make the 20 something quid I spend on a ticket- at the country's worst stadium- much, much better. It must be a headache. We all have lives so I appreciate the effort as it benefits the everyone- the players, the fans, the club.

This happening and continuing is in our mutual interest. And makes match days exciting again.

Transparency is great but I certainly don't want people put off supporting the Fanatics/Ultras/Yellas.

It should be called the Yellas actually if it's about a group of singers...

'I want to make it clear no money ever went missing.'

So how much is in the kitty from the previous donations which weren't used?
I'm sure you can appreciate, with the scrutiny around details being 100% accurate, plus a million things going on personally and football related, I want this to be verified and independently checked by OUSP before I put anything out. It's been a busy few weeks, and potentially about to get even busier, so we will find time once the season ends and share the relevant and correct details.

That’s the sort of detail I, as a previous donor, would like before I am confident enough to contribute further.
Could you say what the £350 actually bought? As an East Stand inhabitant I found a yellow balloon on my seat. I think the next nearest on was three seats away. Did the money also buy streamers? Anything else?
Thanks for your efforts, John.

With a limited budget, we ordered what we could in time. We would have liked to have had more, but that could happen if we make the play offs.

800 balloons, 2kg of confetti and around 150 streamers were part of the display on Saturday.

Fair play as anything that can help with atmosphere is welcome.

Not sure balloons and confetti constitute a display really, but as mentioned they did have much time.

Hopefully they look at what other clubs and groups do for a display on a regular basis.

Not sure balloons and confetti constitute a display really, but as mentioned they did have much time.

Hopefully they look at what other clubs and groups do for a display on a regular basis.

There were also 6 or 7 big wavers as part of it.

We have researched other groups and have exchanged emails, spoken to the fans at our club, including the leader of our Ultras group, and would like to take all of that and do something that brings colour, but also embraces the unique atmosphere that English fans bring and do it in an Oxford United way.

Saturday was a last minute effort to try and inspire the team and help boost the atmosphere. There will be much more to come.

There were also 6 or 7 big wavers as part of it.

We have researched other groups and have exchanged emails, spoken to the fans at our club, including the leader of our Ultras group, and would like to take all of that and do something that brings colour, but also embraces the unique atmosphere that English fans bring and do it in an Oxford United way.

Saturday was a last minute effort to try and inspire the team and help boost the atmosphere. There will be much more to come.
Well done John. Keep it going!

Hell of a lot more than I’ve ever done for a game. And I bought my own balloons on Saturday 🤣

Well done Joe for your clear involvement, passion and desire to get this going. Maybe, those efforts alone (along with these new group) helped the team get three points, it certainly contributed. So thank you.

I think this is going to be a very hard sell, until those responsible for taking fans money, hand it back. Sadly, it'll be the new group who will be constantly tarnished.

Good luck regardless and again, well done for Saturday's efforts.

Well done Joe for your clear involvement, passion and desire to get this going. Maybe, those efforts alone (along with these new group) helped the team get three points, it certainly contributed. So thank you.

I think this is going to be a very hard sell, until those responsible for taking fans money, hand it back. Sadly, it'll be the new group who will be constantly tarnished.

Good luck regardless and again, well done for Saturday's efforts.
Yes, well done Joe. Knowing a little about your past and what you have been through it is very good of you to take this on again! I have been very sceptical about donating again after the last non-event but, you have gone some way to instilling some confidence again. I bought my own streamers for Saturday and passed some around to my neighbours - this may be the way forward for us folk in the SSU.
I will look at fund raising requests in the future with, potentially, more charitable feelings!

I also hope that the new group take on board what it means to ask for money and not to expect everyone to immediately reach for their wallet. Having some oversight of expenditure is a wise move.

Personally I need more info about where the "missing" money was all this time. Who had it, who recovered it and where is it now? How many people were involved and how many of them are involved now?

Also not sure about single use throwaways like streamers or commercial confetti or balloons. I prefer the big waving or static flags.

Back
Top Bottom