National News Official 2019 General Election Thread

The progressive parties (Labour/Lib Dem/Green/SNP) get 52% of the vote.

Now, why does that number ring a bell??

Do the SNP want the same as Labour? Or the Lib Dem’s? Or the Greens? They have completely different policies.

I'd throw in Labour's disregard of their core seats. Corbyn had his front bench filled with Starmer, Abbott, Thornberry etc. So London-centric.

For the next election, they need to go back and appeal to those that can win them elections - Scotland, the midlands, the north and Wales. London will look after itself and most cities will too. The towns are were they lost out.

down the other end of the A420 thats certainly true ... the 2 constituencies there Sw*nd*n North and South are tory

However if parliament reflected the views (plural) of the majority of voters it would look very differently than this electorial system has produced.
sadly there wont be any change from FPTP any time soon..... P48 of the tory manifesto however, points towards a semi dictatorship .... is that what was meant by take (back) control ? :unsure: :oops:

In reality the Tory manifesto was very soft and pretty much a centralist manifesto. I suspect was to help entice the traditional leave labour voters (a very right wing manifesto would have made them think twice).

Very interesting to see now that they have such a majority, whether the torys stick to their manifesto or swing to abit more right wing policies.

OMG what have we done. This result I believe we do nothing to help the most vulnerable in our society, in fact I'll go further, they will be worse of.
I really hope I'm totally wrong on this & would love to be corrected at any time.

Well that was the most appallingly fought General Election I have ever seen. Some of the posts I've seen, from both red and blue supporters have been shocking, this being a particularly bad example...

SmartSelect_20191213-092139_Facebook.jpg

People need to look at themselves, we now have aggressive posts from the defeated side and childish gloating from the 'victors'.

Our country has embarrassed itself over the last month, hopefully we can find some way to unite and move forwards, and move away from this negative soundbite driven divisiveness and Trump-style pettiness which has become our politics

Well that was the most appallingly fought General Election I have ever seen. Some of the posts I've seen, from both red and blue supporters have been shocking, this being a particularly bad example...

View attachment 2598

People need to look at themselves, we now have aggressive posts from the defeated side and childish gloating from the 'victors'.

Our country has embarrassed itself over the last month, hopefully we can find some way to unite and move forwards, and move away from this negative soundbite driven divisiveness and Trump-style pettiness which has become our politics

The cynic in me says alot of people have always been like this. The change is simply social media has the given them the medium to express themselves in such a way to the masses.

The cynic in me mean says alot of people have always been like this. The change is simply social media has the given the medium to express themselves in such a way to the masses.
Unfortunately you probably have a point. Not sure how we change it though.

You may think it flawed but it's a huge stretch to call it anti democratic.

We had a vote on this in 2011 and with a 42% turn-out, the public overwhelmingly demonstrated that they didn't give a f**k. That's democracy.

There's no need for you to worry anyway, Nige is on the case!
If it hasn't produce a parliament the reflects the views of the people it's not democratic. Is that really debatable?

Ian Murray of Labour
'Every door I knocked on and my team and I spoke to 11 000 people, mentioned Corbyn. Not Brexit but Corbyn..... The outcome is that we've let the country down and we must change course and fast'
That says it all.
David Milliband retweeted that quote according to 5L.
I really hope that Labour get their act together now but doubt that they will.
By the end of the next electoral term it will be 50 years since Labour have been elected without somebody called Blair in charge.

There is always a surge of registrations before a GE.
I`ll still stick with an average turnout, ✅ getting off the sofa and putting pen to paper is still too much "effort" for many ✅.
Conservative majority that will be hailed by many as a "landslide" based on a low starting point! ✅
A minority government will cripple the country, irrespective of which side "wins".
People maybe surprised by the BP being utterly wiped out....... ✅

Just saying......................... ? ?

Back
Top Bottom