National News Official 2019 General Election Thread

Agree
But maybe Labour with somebody like David Milliband?
The trouble is Corbyn has made that really difficult.
He let an awful parasite into the Labour party and it mutated into such a state that that exit poll happened. His lack of position on Brexit entirely encapsulates this election result, with a side of whacky extremist policies

Given that the Tories will never get rid of the unfair and completely illogical first past the post system, why can’t we scrap Labour, Lib Dems and Greens and create a new, centre-left, liberal party based around equality and green issues? First past the post only works for a two-party system, so let’s move to an American-type left or right system. It’s the only way to not have a nasty, small-minded, rich-people only right-wing government in like we’re going to have for the next five years. Us progressive/liberal types could wipe the floor with them if we all banded together...

Because you would vote Jeremy Corbyn to lead it?

I actually agree but it takes the sensible people to be in charge of it and realise that life is about compromise, conciliation and not screaming racist at everything you don’t agree with.

The left has lost the plot completely and lost its base, you can’t get elected in this country without the working class/lower middle class vote, it was mental not to just accept brexit and go for a very soft version of it, they would of won this election if they had done that but instead it got scared by students and metropolitan liberals into its weird stance, it killed them.

Interesting point from Andrew Neil:
No political party has ever overturned this sort of majority in a single election.
So not only has Corbyn lost this election, Labour have effectively lost the 2024 election too.

View attachment 2595

All the Tories on here celebrating before going back in to read the Daily Mail and blame young people for everything
I am not a Tory. A Lib Democrat normally ( Green this time) but I am angry with Labour's pathetic performance. I am very anti Johnson but . but ...
Re the young people. Who have they voted for? It will be interesting. Hopefully Green as that is the huge global issue. I am sure that we will find out ( and assume that most of the young did not vote for Corbyn)

Fair play! I don’t agree with some of the tactics but if Johnson has done as is being polled then well done to his team.

with any luck Corbyn and Swinson will both step down and be replaced by someone better suited. I’d like Davey to lead the Lib Dem’s. For Labour I don’t really care! They’ve been an embarrassment and a weak opposition who don’t deserve the air time they are given.

It’s going to be an interesting few months ahead as things begin to pan out. Johnson and the Tories will have no one to blame with their seats and will be able to push Brexit (in some form) through. SNP will go full bore on leaving so I’d imagine before the next GE we won’t even need to bother inviting the SNP into proceedings.

I really hope my party (Lib Dems) take a long, hard look at themselves and realise that a lot of the hard work that went into rebuilding some trust under Cable now needs to be built upon again.

Interesting times ahead and I hope those in the North East don’t come to regret their decision later down the line. It has made my decision to ‘invest’ in a buy to let much easier so that’s a bonus.

Wow!

If the exit polls are accurate then Labour have been hammered. Corbyn and Anti-Semitism has been a huge issue.

I just hope that Labour not only elect a moderate leader, but a moderate front bench too. A strong opposition is important to hold the government of the day to account.

I actually agree but it takes the sensible people to be in charge of it and realise that life is about compromise, conciliation and not screaming racist at everything you don’t agree with.

The left has lost the plot completely and lost its base, you can’t get elected in this country without the working class/lower middle class vote, it was mental not to just accept brexit and go for a very soft version of it, they would of won this election if they had done that but instead it got scared by students and metropolitan liberals into its weird stance, it killed them.

Nope, just like I didn’t vote for him this time around... he’s exactly the type we need to keep away from the new centre-left party.

A very well thought out post. Some of us have tried to point this out, but all we got was abuse. Labour had a great chance in this election of winning if they had a calm manifesto. They chose "free stuff" and seem to have got their backsides handed to them.

I am not the only one who has got fed up of being shouted at for pointing out the failings of the Labour party and pestered beyond belief because those on the left cannot accept their views are not universal.

David Miliband would have smashed this election. Absolutely smashed it.

Given that the Tories will never get rid of the unfair and completely illogical first past the post system, why can’t we scrap Labour, Lib Dems and Greens and create a new, centre-left, liberal party based around equality and green issues? First past the post only works for a two-party system, so let’s move to an American-type left or right system. It’s the only way to not have a nasty, small-minded, rich-people only right-wing government in like we’re going to have for the next five years. Us progressive/liberal types could wipe the floor with them if we all banded together...

Up for this.

We can let the swivel eyed weirdo Momentum types to form their own echo chamber party and leave politics to the grown ups as well.

A very well thought out post. Some of us have tried to point this out, but all we got was abuse. Labour had a great chance in this election of winning if they had a calm manifesto. They chose "free stuff" and seem to have got their backsides handed to them.

I am not the only one who has got fed up of being shouted at for pointing out the failings of the Labour party and pestered beyond belief because those on the left cannot accept their views are not universal.

David Miliband would have smashed this election. Absolutely smashed it.

But you’re someone saying everyone should just accept Brexit? When only 1.2m more people wanted it than didn’t want it? Or another way of looking at it would be every single city across the country was split 50-50 but all of Bristol only wanted Brexit. Why can’t you accept that wasn’t universal? Or do you only think that when it’s people not accepting your views...

There needs to be a more middle ground party than what we currently have in my view.
I worry that we have Tories for years now as the opposition is in such disarray.
Those Labour MPs who included Corbyn in the leadership campaign (and never thought that he would get near to winning) have awful lot to answer for.

But you’re someone saying everyone should just accept Brexit? When only 1.2m more people wanted it than didn’t want it? Or another way of looking at it would be every single city across the country was split 50-50 but all of Bristol only wanted Brexit. Why can’t you accept that wasn’t universal? Or do you only think that when it’s people not accepting your views...
I didn't mention Brexit in that regard.

But, Labour's fudge on Brexit has cost them bigly, they tried to play both sides of the vote and the electorate has, as part of a larger packet, thoroughly rejected it, it seems. Stop blaming everyone else, again. You lefties need to listen others and open your viewpoint up rather than just shouting at people who disagree.

Farage is looking very smug and happy on the BBC.

Back
Top Bottom