National News Official 2019 General Election Thread

If you read the article people were saying it was a stupid idea AT THE TIME.

We had a plan to introduce super fast broadband via a fibre network. Thatcher cancelled it against advice. Its perfectly reasonable to say that was her responsibility.

Another area was the Tories refusal to invest in tidal power, where the U.K. had a huge technical lead, and huge opportunity to benefit.
I've just spent a good half hour reading about tidal power, not something I'd thought much about (what with being in Oxford and as far from the coast as you can get) , so thanks for mentioning it. What is it with our governments and nuclear power stations though ?

If you read the article people were saying it was a stupid idea AT THE TIME.

We had a plan to introduce super fast broadband via a fibre network. Thatcher cancelled it against advice. Its perfectly reasonable to say that was her responsibility.
Yeah I read the article, some people in the industry were saying it, but what was the general consensus at the time? It's easy to point at a single decision when the reality was probably more complex.

Anyway, all this sort of defending Thatcher is making me feel unclean, so I'll shut up. I've never voted Conservative in my life, and can't see me ever doing so. I just don't think it's so 'black and white' for want of a better term as you seem to think.

Here’s another article.
From that well known left wing rag “ the manufacturer”

Pop quiz time:
1. When was fibre optic cable first identified as the answer to our nation’s communications needs?
2. Which company developed the technology that would have made the UK a world leader?
3. Which UK Prime Minister killed the project stone dead?
The answers: fibre optic cable was identified as the communications technology of the future in the 1970s by British Telecom, which developed partnerships in Japan and South Korea and built two factories in the UK to make fibre optic cable.
The project was killed in 1990 by Margaret Thatcher. The factories were sold to Japanese companies and the UK went from being a world leader to the world laggard it is today.
That is why the phrase “an eventual switch over from copper to fibre” rings so hollow. We could have done it all, long before the birth of the World Wide Web, but chose not to. Others did and are reaping the benefits.

Treating broadband as national infrastructure like Roads etc strikes me as a very good idea especially when so much business activity is either online or going online. Roads used to have tolls, they don't now apart from the odd exception. Rapid broadband will be vital for our economy to remain competitive so it strikes me as a sensible and pragmatic approach to treat it as national infrastructure when taking any political considerations out of it.

Whatever next from Labour? Free mobile phones for pensioners and kids

One step at a time. First, let's have free high speed internet for every household, provided by a nationalised organisation, paid for by taxing the tech giants more effectively. Good idea?
Depends on how you are defining 'high speed', not that it makes any difference unless the household can afford a computer to use it as well, or is this included?

Errrr...that proves the wisdom of the policy: the folks who will welcome the initiative can't get online to express their approval!
Very few people aren't online nowadays because they have phones, and if I could dump my broadband and phone I would happily do so. Infact, rolling out broadband is an old world solution when perhaps 4G/5G is a better solution? But it will be harder to nationalise that.

It's not free either. It's subsidised. And how are they going to get around the EUs rules, presuming they want to stay in? And who will decide what content is allowed and not?

That article mentions a 'Thatcher veto', was there a unilateral veto of it?

Reading this...

... It mentions...

Depends on how you are defining 'high speed', not that it makes any difference unless the household can afford a computer to use it as well, or is this included?
Fair to say Chris Leslie makes a similar point

A really stupid point by Leslie. Who is a very stupid man.
Funding free fast broadband would be a huge economic benefit to the country, especially to those in rural areas.
If he can’t tell the difference between the infrastructure and what makes use of it I presume he can’t tell the difference between a road and his bicycle

Cool. Again, what constitutes 'fast broadband'? How does 5G fit in, or is it fibre or nothing?

Once again, good soundbite, what's the detail?

If it’s going to be like the last Aussie election, labour need to stop announcing policies like this. They’ll just get battered for them. A simple negative campaign pointing out what C***s the tories are, and not doing too much in the radical policy space might give them a chance. Along with having a leader that people don’t have negative associations to. So, no chance.

Well no, you need a router to start with of course, and then 'some device' as well. Sentient toaster, or something similar.
Yes. I'm amazed at some of the gadgetry that uses it now. My wife even bought a video doorbell so that we can see who's at the door, even if we're miles away!!?

Yes. I'm amazed at some of the gadgetry that uses it now. My wife even bought a video doorbell so that we can see who's at the door, even if we're miles away!!?
Internet of Things (IoT), it's the future you know ?

Whereas in the article on the BBC News website, the costs are said to be underestimated by the BT chief exec...

BT chief executive Philip Jansen told BBC Radio 4's Today programme Labour had under-estimated the price of its pledge.

But he said he was happy to work with whoever wins the election to help build a digital Britain, although the process for implementing Labour's plan would not be "straightforward".

He added that the impact of any changes on BT pensioners, employees, shareholders - and the millions of investors via pension schemes - needed to be carefully thought through.

The company has disputed the cost of rolling out fibre broadband to every home and business, saying it would cost closer to £40bn than £20bn.

Back
Top Bottom