National News Nazanin Zaghari-Ratcliffe

I'm pretty sure anyone else held hostage for six years because of an unpaid uk government debt would say the same. Even you!
This unpaid debt has been with the county since the 70’s any government could have paid it tbf.

No not really, the press would of hounded her so I'm sure this was what she was advised to do i.e do a press conference, answer their questions and ask for your privacy to be respected going forward. In fact there were already stories of the press camping outside her family flat (even though they were not there).

Release a statement saying "I`ve been locked up for 6 years so want to spend time with my family, please respect this and I`ll speak to you when the book/film is ready".

Sorted.

Hmm next time she goes on “holiday” to visit her relatives perhaps not pick a country with numerous sanctions against it.

Yes but it became slightly more urgent once she was kidnapped. 🤷‍♂️

When we weren`t allowed to pay the bill due to sanctions?
Things have changed, we paid, she is free.
That complex chain of events won`t happen overnight.

When we weren`t allowed to pay the bill due to sanctions?
Things have changed, we paid, she is free.
That complex chain of events won`t happen overnight.
Complete red herring.

So have the sanctions just been lifted? No! So this solution could have been actioned all along.

We have owed the money since 1979 - 43 years.
The Shah ordered 1,500 tanks and paid £400m upfront and was then overthrown and the Iranian Republic was formed.
Sanctions were imposed by the UN, EU and other individual nations when Iran’s nuclear programme became public, think that was 1999/2000 or so.
Iran agreed to a deal in 2013 which saw it gain some relief from sanctions in return for curbing its nuclear programme and giving UN inspectors better access to its facilities. Couple of years later a number of dual nationals were detained on vacuous charges.
IIRC there was a change in the Iranian position in 2021 when Iran admitted why they were holding them.
We were also in a position, built over time, to pay the bill in a way that bypasses the sanctions.
Sometimes it is a chain of events that can`t be changed or blamed on someone.

She is lucky she had dual nationality and the UK Government has found a way to get her released.

We have owed the money since 1979 - 43 years.
The Shah ordered 1,500 tanks and paid £400m upfront and was then overthrown and the Iranian Republic was formed.
Sanctions were imposed by the UN, EU and other individual nations when Iran’s nuclear programme became public, think that was 1999/2000 or so.
Iran agreed to a deal in 2013 which saw it gain some relief from sanctions in return for curbing its nuclear programme and giving UN inspectors better access to its facilities. Couple of years later a number of dual nationals were detained on vacuous charges.
IIRC there was a change in the Iranian position in 2021 when Iran admitted why they were holding them.
We were also in a position, built over time, to pay the bill in a way that bypasses the sanctions.
Sometimes it is a chain of events that can`t be changed or blamed on someone.

She is lucky she had dual nationality and the UK Government has found a way to get her released.
Mate, if you are a Minister you have to lie to yourself. You have to toe the party line even when you don't believe it. But you get handsomely rewarded to do so. YOU DON'T HAVE TO THOUGH! For f**k sake get yourself your own mind for once instead of spewing out irrelevant bollox. You're better than this. Surely!

Mate, if you are a Minister you have to lie to yourself. You have to toe the party line even when you don't believe it. But you get handsomely rewarded to do so. YOU DON'T HAVE TO THOUGH! For f**k sake get yourself your own mind for once instead of spewing out irrelevant bollox. You're better than this. Surely!
Liz Truss apparently was the one that secured her release which is a Pat on the back for her. As @Essexyellows says UN sanctions did prevent the return of the money because of the revolution in Iran and the overthrow of the Shah. I’m not entirely sure as to the UN sanctions were for but I would hazard a guess it would be down to the the hostages held by Iran in the American embassy band the nuclear work that was being carried out.

Liz Truss apparently was the one that secured her release which is a Pat on the back for her. As @Essexyellows says UN sanctions did prevent the return of the money because of the revolution in Iran and the overthrow of the Shah. I’m not entirely sure as to the UN sanctions were for but I would hazard a guess it would be down to the the hostages held by Iran in the American embassy band the nuclear work that was being carried out.
Wise up. She was released because we paid the debt because we want their oil. Simple as. We don't need layers of BS to obfuscate the raw facts.

Wise up. She was released because we paid the debt because we want their oil. Simple as. We don't need layers of BS to obfuscate the raw facts.
The money has been gone to Oman to use for humanitarian grounds and not directly to the Iranian government. Off course we want their oil as do a lot of European countries as the sanctions against Russia prevent us and others from getting oil from them.
So now we are targeting another country for oil and as the new government in Iran are more easier to deal with than the previous government and with the return of their 400 million albeit through Oman things may get easier.
Back in 2013 a negotiating team went to Iran to talk and try and sort things were arrested and out in detention. It’s things like this as to why there are severe sanctions on Iran.

Just an aside former Trump ally Mike Pompeo has said we have paid blood money to Iran for Nazanine’s release. It’s partly down to Trump kicking the Iranians out of the nuclear treaty that has also caused problems.

Apparently the money was frozen in British banks due to UN/EU sanctions and paying the money to Oman to administer may have been the only recourse them at the U.K. could take.

But this debt has been with the U.K. since the 70’s and could have been repaid but any number of U.K. governments but sanctions were preventing this.

I do believe Boris comments regarding Nazanine didn’t help and the lack of a decent foreign secretary hasn’t help either, but Liz Truss has done really well and is instrumental in getting he released.

Monday, 3 days later, and she`s on the telly complaining - not about the Iranian Government that held her hostage for 6 years but about the UK Government for not paying the "ransom/bill".

Go somewhere quiet with your family and catch up on that time you missed. That's the important stuff.
Are you suggesting she’s not allowed to question the Dear Leader? Slightly concerning, considering the country she’s just been freed from.

Hmm next time she goes on “holiday” to visit her relatives perhaps not pick a country with numerous sanctions against it.
Surely it would depend on where your relatives live?
Bulgaria isn’t sanctioned by the UK. But going there to visit my Mum would be a futile exercise, because she isn’t in Bulgaria!

The money has been gone to Oman to use for humanitarian grounds and not directly to the Iranian government. Off course we want their oil as do a lot of European countries as the sanctions against Russia prevent us and others from getting oil from them.
So now we are targeting another country for oil and as the new government in Iran are more easier to deal with than the previous government and with the return of their 400 million albeit through Oman things may get easier.
Back in 2013 a negotiating team went to Iran to talk and try and sort things were arrested and out in detention. It’s things like this as to why there are severe sanctions on Iran.

Just an aside former Trump ally Mike Pompeo has said we have paid blood money to Iran for Nazanine’s release. It’s partly down to Trump kicking the Iranians out of the nuclear treaty that has also caused problems.

Apparently the money was frozen in British banks due to UN/EU sanctions and paying the money to Oman to administer may have been the only recourse them at the U.K. could take.

But this debt has been with the U.K. since the 70’s and could have been repaid but any number of U.K. governments but sanctions were preventing this.

I do believe Boris comments regarding Nazanine didn’t help and the lack of a decent foreign secretary hasn’t help either, but Liz Truss has done really well and is instrumental in getting he released.

The money has gone via Oman to appear to be separated to get around sanctions in a 'grey' area. I have little doubt the money will make its way to the Iranian government freshly laundered to separate us from them.
And the reason for now, will be a need for new sources of oil.

What is irrelevant?
How the debt was created?
Why it was not paid?
Why she was held as pawn in the game?
The fact she has dual nationality?

It's ALL relevant and contributes to the chain of events.

If that is to complex for you then go and read a book.

Are you suggesting she’s not allowed to question the Dear Leader? Slightly concerning, considering the country she’s just been freed from.

I`m suggesting she may wish to rearrange her priorities.

Who is in charge now makes very little difference, as explained - its a long chain of events and she was used by the Iranian Government to get what they wanted.

Back
Top Bottom