National News Nazanin Zaghari-Ratcliffe

I'll also bet that Kirsty allsop won't be doing any episodes of location, location location in that part of the world for a while.....

We`ve paid the Iranian bill - she was a pawn in a stupid game, that's the reality.

Glad she`s on her way home to her family and they can move on.*

*barring the inevitable publicity - wanted or not.
So if we had paid our debt it would have saved her six year locked up/under house arrest. And why have we suddenly paid up now? Because we want more of their oil.

The whole thing is either immoral or f*****g immoral. Can't decide.

So if we had paid our debt it would have saved her six year locked up/under house arrest. And why have we suddenly paid up now? Because we want more of their oil.

It’s politics. Rarely clean or simple. I don’t have any time for Johnson but no leader is morally pure or gets it right all the time.

Reading this on the news today I actually smiled with relief. I don’t suppose many of us can imagine what is has been like for her and her family. A rare beam of light in an ever depressing sequence of world news lately.

Many of the governments who have been in power since we’ve had their money could have paid it. But obviously the Iranians could see a chance with the two British detainees.
I do think this could have been cleared up sooner.

The debt won’t be paid in cash as not only would that violate sanctions (the Americans would basically shut down any bank making the transaction), giving Iran nearly half a billion quid to spend on whatever they like would be too stupid even for this lot. Just about.

It’ll probably be paid in ‘aid’ of some description. Most likely medicines (possibly including covid vaccines) and such like. And, of course, there will be a separate oil deal in the background to grease the wheels. From Russia to Saudi Arabia and Iran. Grim.

The feeling that she and her family will experience when she finally steps back onto British soil and they embrace each other will be incredible. These people never wanted anything to do with this dispute and I’m glad that their plight looks to be over.

The debt won’t be paid in cash as not only would that violate sanctions (the Americans would basically shut down any bank making the transaction), giving Iran nearly half a billion quid to spend on whatever they like would be too stupid even for this lot. Just about.

It’ll probably be paid in ‘aid’ of some description. Most likely medicines (possibly including covid vaccines) and such like. And, of course, there will be a separate oil deal in the background to grease the wheels. From Russia to Saudi Arabia and Iran. Grim.

The feeling that she and her family will experience when she finally steps back onto British soil and they embrace each other will be incredible. These people never wanted anything to do with this dispute and I’m glad that their plight looks to be over.

Sadly, whilst the immediate plight is over, the mental health side of it will go on for a long time yet, albeit I hope not.

It is apparently being paid via Oman, and is to be "ringfenced" for "humanitarian purposes only"

Monday, 3 days later, and she`s on the telly complaining - not about the Iranian Government that held her hostage for 6 years but about the UK Government for not paying the "ransom/bill".

Go somewhere quiet with your family and catch up on that time you missed. That's the important stuff.

Monday, 3 days later, and she`s on the telly complaining - not about the Iranian Government that held her hostage for 6 years but about the UK Government for not paying the "ransom/bill".

Go somewhere quiet with your family and catch up on that time you missed. That's the important stuff.
I'm pretty sure anyone else held hostage for six years because of an unpaid uk government debt would say the same. Even you!

I'm pretty sure anyone else held hostage for six years because of an unpaid uk government debt would say the same. Even you!

Considering how "ill" she was supposed to have been, how much time she missed with the kids and how much she has missed I would be a long way away from a tv camera and the spotlight of publicity wouldn`t you?

That aside didn`t EU sanctions stop us paying? ;)

Considering how "ill" she was supposed to have been, how much time she missed with the kids and how much she has missed I would be a long way away from a tv camera and the spotlight of publicity wouldn`t you?

That aside didn`t EU sanctions stop us paying? ;)
No not really, the press would of hounded her so I'm sure this was what she was advised to do i.e do a press conference, answer their questions and ask for your privacy to be respected going forward. In fact there were already stories of the press camping outside her family flat (even though they were not there).

Back
Top Bottom