Other - Rest of the World Melbourne derby pitch invasion

chuckbert

Melbourne city v victory just got interrupted by a pitch invasion, flares, fighting. Probably going to be abandoned. Madness.

Disgusting scenes the goalie shouldn't have thrown the flare but c'mon that's a scummy way to react and where did they find a metal bin

Does this happen often in Australia or is it a new phenomenon? Not something I’ve heard of before or would have expected.
First I’ve heard for years. There used to be sectarian violence before the A league because all of the teams had an ethnic base (Greek, Italian, Croatian, Serbian etc), which was part of the rationale for reforming. As far as I can tell in the last 20 years there’s been more fan violence at basketball than at soccer.

Someone throwing a flare from the stands
Keeper throws it back into the crowd
Pitch is invaded and he gets hit with a steel bucket

Not a brain cell among them, throw the book at them all!

First I’ve heard for years. There used to be sectarian violence before the A league because all of the teams had an ethnic base (Greek, Italian, Croatian, Serbian etc), which was part of the rationale for reforming. As far as I can tell in the last 20 years there’s been more fan violence at basketball than at soccer.

Do the clubs still have a following based on that?

Do the clubs still have a following based on that?
Yes, but not nearly as strongly as before. It’s still a bigger thing with local football. Perth Glory are playing their games temporarily at Macedonia Park which is the centre of the Macedonian community. There are clubs called Floreat Athena and Gwelup Croatia. The north and far south of Perth are full of Brits so the teams are managed by shouty Scotsmen and watched by gammons :)
This means that at that level the ethnic aspect is still there.
In the A league I only watch Glory sometimes and most of their noisy fan base seem to be EPL exiles. I never experience the slightest hint of menace at a glory game. If anything a bit lacking in edge.

Back
Top Bottom