Looking Back at the Old Oxford days

I have no idea. It was the cape of good hope! On the plain.

The Duke of Edinburgh was in St Clements, and Oranges and Lemons was on the right side towards the plain, and the half moon.

It might be the cape of good hope more recently, but I don’t remember the pub on the plain being called that years ago.

Was it not just called the pub oxford?
was that the one sort of opposite the oranges & lemons ( cant remember the name of it)

between the Plasterers & Port Mahon was the Duke ( of Edinburgh?) wasn't it - still there now?
On the Plain at the corner of Cowley & Iffley Road...

Originally Cape of Good Hope

Renamed Hobgoblin in 1990s

Then. Pub Oxford (Point nightclub upstairs) with the Scream pub sign

Now again, Cape of Good Hope

Basics -
Born in Old High St, few doors down from the Bell.
Grandparents lived in Larkins Lane, great-grand parents next door but one.
Moved to Grays Road in `68, pre-school at St Andrews Church hall, escaped once, then infants/juniors on Margaret Road and onto Cheney for O levels & CSE`s.
Apprenticeship at Peters butchers just up from Walkers furniture later Ritz video!
Then moved to work at Gateways in Wheatley and enjoyed many long lunches in the Plough with Keith the landlord until flying the nest to Essex with the former MrsEY(Mk1).

Pubs -
A long and chequered history of the pubs around Headington as everyone knew everyone back then! :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:
The first place to get a pint at 15 ish, and far enough away not to be known, was the James St Tavern in Cowley.
After that a regular of many watering holes ...... The Bell, Black Boy, White Hart, through Devils alley to the White Horse.
Sometimes back up to the Britt, Standard, Butchers or down into town on a weekend. Plasterers, Port Mahon, Cape of No Hope, Oranges & Lemons (Angel & Greyhound as is now) etc.

Work -
Football started around the same time as work, 79/80 or so....... we closed half days when there were home games at the Manor.
Quick pint at the Standard then up the drive to the LRT and into the supporters club after.
I vaguely remember Jim P running it in the later years (90`s or later?) who I knew from the bakery at Gateways!
Served loads of players and other well-known Oxonians over the years.

Halcyon days......
St. Andrews for me. First near miss of many I guess. (unless you were flossy)
download.jpeg

St. Andrews for me. First near miss of many I guess. (unless you were flossy)
View attachment 6962

Yep maybe many near misses.

My escape from St Andrews was precluded by urinating in all the plastic cups...... I really needed to go and the teacher/assistant wouldn`t let me.
After that I felt a lot better and decided to go home, out the door and was merrily bounding up New High Street which was great until I met my Mother coming the other way.
Could probably sue for compo & PTSD now.................. 53 years later :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Wasn’t a light special a bitter with bottled light ,so you could with a fair wind get more then a pint and also peculiar to Oxfordshire.
It's was certainly a thing at the Six Bells, supposedly to perk it up, although god knows why 'cos the keg Morrell bitter was fizzy crap already.

Last edited:
Wasn’t a light special a bitter with bottled light ,so you could with a fair wind get more then a pint and also peculiar to Oxfordshire.

I really couldn't tell you to be honest!

It was definitely the Cape of Good Hope at one point, maybe in the 90s?

Yeah Cape of Good Hope on the plain roundabout, In between Cowley rd and iffley rd.

• React
Reactions: m
Grew up in Woodfarm, went to Oxford boys 92-95, drank in the Crown and thistle in Woodfarm (still there but not open sadly), the White horse in Headington then onto Fifth Avenue in the west gate as a young teenager as they were the only places I knew would let me and my mates in at 16/17.
I also went to Oxford Boys for a couple of years. Crown and Thistle was my Dad's pub when Ali Black was running it and I use to play for them in the Sunday League vs Star Royal, Cold Arbour, etc.

And oh yes Fifth Avenue...

Born in the Radcliffe infirmary and lived in Slade Camp, Margaret Road School (hated it)
6 years old we moved to Littlemore, Lawn Upton School and Littlemore Grammar school (both good)
First watering hole (bit under age) Catherine Wheel (with my dad) and Queens Arms (with my mates)

Did anyone ever go in the Old Black Horse in St Clements? Never went in when I lived in Oxford and have never been in since!
I don`t know why it's just a peculiarity in my life!

Back
Top Bottom