LGBTQ+ / Rainbow Laces

The man is worth £25 million net, realistically £700k isn’t going to make much difference!

It's not £700k, is it? Liverpool seem to say he's getting £300k, so let's split the difference at £500k, each week. He was paid £200k a week at the dippers but he was payng tax on that, so his real income is £100k, each week and in Saudi,where there's no income tax it would £500, each week.

The value of a 52-week contract from 'salary' alone to him would go from £5.2m to £26m, probably worth more since the Saudis will be paying him in US$, which remains a stable currency.

If you're going to pillory a person, be sure you understand what you're pillorying him for.

And he's a MACKEM, not a Geordie, which is really unforgivable; although it suggests he's too thick to realise what he's giving up. Tough world.

Last edited:
If you are white you are amongst 82% of the uk population. And 89% describe themselves as straight.

The only minority you belong to is being a tory which is getting increasingly smaller.

Ethnic minority where I currently live. (40.9%)

See those numbers can be cut anyway you like if you are determined to sub-divide groups of people by "something".

As for politics you might find lots of people are disenfranchised from the major political parties.

This is a distraction, as I'm sure is the intent.

But to go back to the opening posts, this is an initiative to help encourage and support LGBTQ+ fans. I hope Proud Yellows are welcomed and supported by all.

Ethnic minority where I currently live. (40.9%)

See those numbers can be cut anyway you like if you are determined to sub-divide groups of people by "something".

As for politics you might find lots of people are disenfranchised from the major political parties.
In a way I admire you coming into a LGBTQ+ thread and trying to make it about yourself. It's like going onto a cricket forum and asking 'why aren't you talking about football?'.

If it isn't for you then just say nothing and move on, rather than questioning why LGBTQ+ people need their own spaces where we don't have to continually justify our own existence.

Proud yellows.... thank you for creating a group to give the lgbtq+ community a voice within the club! It's clear from a couple of posts on this thread that it is very much needed. As a gay dad and lifelong oxford fan it makes me so happy to see the progress that our club and football in this country is making. Unfortunately I'm neither on twitter nor am I able to attend matches (I watch online) but I just wanted to say thanks for making the effort to represent. COYY!

I have had a think about ways I personally would promote lgbtq+ at oufc. Really its about representation and showing support. Today we went to a local festival and in the park they had a 'rainbow bench' installed to commemorate 5 years of their Pride events. Myself, my fiance and our son ate lunch on the bench... it made us feel welcome, safe and relaxed. Despite what many will say, it is still necessary to make the lgbtq+ community feel this way as there are many places where we are not safe or welcome. Sorry I can't offer more ideas but even seeing a pride flag at an event just signals that all is good here, so hopefully thats something for you to work with. All the best!

The Truckfest shirt was a great success and I wonder the club could look at market similar unique shirts for different groups or events. An Oxford Pride shirt, Kick Racism Out, OU in the Community etc. Maybe 1 or 2 unique shirts a year with one being signed and raffled (NOT auctioned) to raise funds relevant to the associated cause.

And as @battman has said, if this isn't your thing then skip past and leave it for those that are interested.

I have had a think about ways I personally would promote lgbtq+ at oufc. Really its about representation and showing support. Today we went to a local festival and in the park they had a 'rainbow bench' installed to commemorate 5 years of their Pride events. Myself, my fiance and our son ate lunch on the bench... it made us feel welcome, safe and relaxed. Despite what many will say, it is still necessary to make the lgbtq+ community feel this way as there are many places where we are not safe or welcome. Sorry I can't offer more ideas but even seeing a pride flag at an event just signals that all is good here, so hopefully thats something for you to work with. All the best!
Proud yellows would love to know of your support. Drop them an email even if you don't get to games. I'll also make sure your points get passed on.

I see OUFC are a sponsor of Oxford Pride this year. Great thing to do!
I agree. I think OUFC creating ties across the local community is very positive - supporting Oxford Pride, supporting the literary fest earlier this month, supporting truck. The common denominator is community and OUFC being part of that is great. It means that the new stadium is not just about a local football club, it's about local identity.

I agree. I think OUFC creating ties across the local community is very positive - supporting Oxford Pride, supporting the literary fest earlier this month, supporting truck. The common denominator is community and OUFC being part of that is great. It means that the new stadium is not just about a local football club, it's about local identity.
And (and I'm bisexual so I can be flippant here) there's a chance that if we get the gays on side we can get some proper bloody enthusiastic singers and finally get the atmosphere to improve

I don’t wish to be controversial but is it really a football clubs place to get involved in, of all things, sexuality? Who really cares whether you’re straight, gay or bisexual, everyone’s welcome to come and enjoy the football and then go home and participate in whatever you want to participate in. I’m not sure we need this bracketing of people and their preferences. No discrimination, everyone’s on an equal footing, this sort of stuff seems to me more divisive than it is helpful. I repeat - who actually cares? I certainly don’t.

I don’t wish to be controversial but is it really a football clubs place to get involved in, of all things, sexuality? Who really cares whether you’re straight, gay or bisexual, everyone’s welcome to come and enjoy the football and then go home and participate in whatever you want to participate in. I’m not sure we need this bracketing of people and their preferences. No discrimination, everyone’s on an equal footing, this sort of stuff seems to me more divisive than it is helpful. I repeat - who actually cares? I certainly don’t.
Bingo!!

I know in your world that it is still the 1970’s but society evolves and somethings need to be highlighted more than others to make something more inclusive.
Obviously you wouldn’t understand as you take the view that you’re son could never be gay as he likes golf but in the real world, it doesn’t work like that.

I know in your world that it is still the 1970’s but society evolves and somethings need to be highlighted more than others to make something more inclusive.
Obviously you wouldn’t understand as you take the view that you’re son could never be gay as he likes golf but in the real world, it doesn’t work like that.

You seem to say this a lot but I have three girls and none play golf. I don’t play golf either. Just thought this info might save you a bit of headspace when you’re replying.

I understand that but if you actually read what I’m saying in context you will see that I’m fully supportive of inclusivity. In this day and age who out there is bothered by anyone’s sexuality? I would agree that a generation or two ago there wasn’t the acceptance but the world and its views began to change 10, 15, 20 years ago now. There will still be a very small percentage unaccepting but you’re not going to find an across the board acceptance of anything. Trying to educate this Neanderthal minority is a waste of time. We don’t any longer need rainbow days or whatever it’s called - everyone’s in the same boat and on board the happy ship.

Back
Top Bottom