LGBTQ+ / Rainbow Laces

OUSP

Oxford United Supporters Panel Member
The club will be participating in the EFL Rainbow laces day in November. OUSP would like to get some thoughts from our LGBTQ+ supporters as to how best to use the match for awareness. Whilst we can of course make suggestions, we really would like to directly involve our LGBTQ+ fans. Please email us ouspinfo@gmail.com if you would like to make suggestions or be involved in some way.

I wasn't sure what the hashing FvH was and discovered that it is Football v Homophobia.

A lot of work has been done to address racism in society as well as in the game, and on the very rare occasions people use racist language at Oxford games others challenge it quickly and appropriately.

But there remains a low level of homophobia that isn't always addressed in my view. This may be disguised as 'banter' but I can imagine that gay men in particular would be uncomfortable at games more often than those of other races.

Having the Proud Yellows helping to promote inclusivity amongst fellow supporters and to provide a safe space for people to be themselves can only be a good thing.

Some people spend their life being offended by everything, despite the constant fawning and virtue signaling.

But of course you can't say anything as then you are a bad person..

Remember when we could just watch football without constant browbeating on various 'issues' :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Some people spend their life being offended by everything, despite the constant fawning and virtue signaling.

Remember when we could just watch football without constant browbeating on various 'issues' :rolleyes:
Yes, I preferred it in the good old days when we could scream "get up you f*****g poof" at players who we thought weren't being masculine enough and when we could throw bananas at the black players. games gone to the dogs. No one even wants to smash one another's skulls in anymore. bloody snowflakes. what next?! women footballers!?

Not sure what your point is?

Yes, I preferred it in the good old days when we could scream "get up you f*****g poof" at players who we thought weren't being masculine enough and when we could throw bananas at the black players. games gone to the dogs. No one even wants to smash one another's skulls in anymore. bloody snowflakes. what next?! women footballers!?
Surprised you managed to type that with your chafed hands due to all that handwringing..

Must be hard working out which side to support when watching war movies

Nice to see that paragon of LGBTQ+ virtue & Rainbow Laces champion Jordan Henderson has a price on his morals.

£700k a week can certainly make people forget things.

Wonder if he will be as vociferous when in Saudi?

How about we just get along as human beings without dividing into specially labelled sub-groups?

Nice to see that paragon of LGBTQ+ virtue & Rainbow Laces champion Jordan Henderson has a price on his morals.

How about we just get along as human beings without dividing into specially labelled sub-groups?
Says the straight white 'I'm alright Jack' Tory

To be fair to @Essexyellows, and I disagree with him on most issues, he's bang on about Henderson. Supposedly a big supporter of LGBTQ+ people in football but as soon as the Saudi money came his way he sacked that off for the paycheck. I know a lot of LGBTQ+ football fans are rightfully upset and angry with him for it, myself included. You don't get to be an ally when it suits, if he were genuinely an ally he'd have told the Saudi's to shove it.

On that last line, in an ideal world that is exactly what 99% of us want. But we don't live in an ideal world, and if the only way to get some semblance of equality is to fight for it, shout about it and make some people uncomfortable then so be it.

Excited to see what the Proud Yellows get up to (y)

Blatant sales push but, if anyone wants an insight into the LGBTQ+ world, I recommend reading "Gay man talking" by Daniel Harding. He's the son of my cousin and a really good person and journalist. The book can get a little involved at times but as an insight it works.

To be fair to @Essexyellows, and I disagree with him on most issues, he's bang on about Henderson. Supposedly a big supporter of LGBTQ+ people in football but as soon as the Saudi money came his way he sacked that off for the paycheck. I know a lot of LGBTQ+ football fans are rightfully upset and angry with him for it, myself included. You don't get to be an ally when it suits, if he were genuinely an ally he'd have told the Saudi's to shove it.
Beckham did the same thing as well, taking the Qatari money and becoming an ambassador for their World Cup.

It will be interesting to see how it pans out for Henderson. Have Saudi been clever in their sports washing exercise by showing they are changing by getting a player who stands up for the LGBT community or has Henderson been a hypocritical sell out.

My guess is both.

It will be interesting to see how it pans out for Henderson. Have Saudi been clever in their sports washing exercise by showing they are changing by getting a player who stands up for the LGBT community or has Henderson been a hypocritical sell out.

My guess is both.
Given in their announcement video they greyed out the rainbow captains armband he wore for Liverpool I suspect they don't care about appearing to change. How Henderson can be happy to join a club that does that is beyond me, but I guess he has a price on his morals.

Given in their announcement video they greyed out the rainbow captains armband he wore for Liverpool I suspect they don't care about appearing to change. How Henderson can be happy to join a club that does that is beyond me, but I guess he has a price on his morals.
The man is worth £25 million net, realistically £700k isn’t going to make much difference!

I had to google it to see it. Un-f**king-believable.

F**k Jordan Henderson and f**k Steven Gerrard. F**k all of these disgusting mercenaries playing in a shitty desert league just to make themselves even richer and in the process destroying any positive legacy they could have on English football.

And Liverpool players too! Literally selling their soul to the devil. I can't for the life of me understand it. To you or I it's the equivalent of being given £100 to shout a racist slur at an old man in the street. You simply wouldn't do it.

And any Liverpool fan/player/pundit who defends it or even plays it down is a tw*t too.

So, so depressing.

Back
Top Bottom