French Football Kylian Mbappe £259m offer!

It’s the eye-watering sums of money involved that gets me.
If it wasn’t already ridiculous as it is.

In the prime of his career and going to take the Saudi bunce.

What a shame for such a good player.

It’s this kind of move that makes sacking the whole sorry lot from the top flight off to the ESL to gorge in the trough of greed more appealing.
Trouble is, who else can afford him? He's backed himself into a corner. I can sort of understand Jordan Henderson wanting 'one last payday' but for Mbappe to basically end his serious career at 25 seems tragic.

Will be interesting to see what he does - and therefore what his true motivation is. I still think he will end up at Madrid.

Seen some comments online about this being a precursor for Saudi trying to force their clubs into the Champions League. Nothing but unsubstantiated rumour, but you wouldn't be surprised.

It feels nice sitting in the comparative Hobbiton of League 1, where things are broadly as they once were. But all this stuff does make you wonder at what point you'd walk away from football entirely.

Seen some comments online about this being a precursor for Saudi trying to force their clubs into the Champions League. Nothing but unsubstantiated rumour, but you wouldn't be surprised.
Last time I checked, Saudi Arabia wasn't in Europe...

It feels nice sitting in the comparative Hobbiton of League 1, where things are broadly as they once were. But all this stuff does make you wonder at what point you'd walk away from football entirely.
Well UEFA have never had a reputation for putting money ahead of the good of the game so I can't see that happening :cool:

Mbappe must be ridiculously well paid to start with, so he hardly needs the move for money. Shame to waste his career at such a young age.

Neither is Israel...

Right, you can't leave Israel with AFC...
Israel and potential Arab opponents together? Bloodbath!
Yeah, I know, that's why... Anyway, you can't leave Israel with CAF-
Er, hello, I'm Israel, thank you for leaving me with Egypt, my favourite opponent of the Six Day War.

At least Israel overlooks the Med. I don't know how Kazakhstan have managed to wheedle its way into UEFA though.

Then again Russia are still part of UEFA and could, when allowed, choose to P**s everybody off even more and host their matches in Vladivostok if they so wished!

Mbappe must be ridiculously well paid to start with, so he hardly needs the move for money. Shame to waste his career at such a young age.
There is talk of him going to Saudi for a year before joining Madrid for free in a years time!!

It’s a strange one, £400/500 million for a single season of Kylian Mbappe seems a bit excessive, he is good but nobody is that good.

Got nothing much to do with football though I suppose, it’s a mega rich state buying good publicity.

With Golf, Boxing and now Football they seem to just be trying to buy up elite level sports, so I think we should be pretty safe from there clutches.

It’s a strange one, £400/500 million for a single season of Kylian Mbappe seems a bit excessive, he is good but nobody is that good.

Got nothing much to do with football though I suppose, it’s a mega rich state buying good publicity.

With Golf, Boxing and now Football they seem to just be trying to buy up elite level sports, so I think we should be pretty safe from there clutches.
We just need to make sure we don’t get too good

This sort of thing is why I'm so glad I support a League One football team and my hometown club. I genuinely do not understand how you can support a 'club' that is effectively nothing more than a corporate commercial entity. And that's even before you throw in the sportswashing and human rights abuse elements.

This sort of thing is why I'm so glad I support a League One football team and my hometown club. I genuinely do not understand how you can support a 'club' that is effectively nothing more than a corporate commercial entity. And that's even before you throw in the sportswashing and human rights abuse elements.
Makes you wonder though - if we did make it to the Premier League would you be happy? New Saudi owners, gambling sponsor on the shirt, etc. etc. Kinda makes me just want to float around the upper half of the championship!

Makes you wonder though - if we did make it to the Premier League would you be happy? New Saudi owners, gambling sponsor on the shirt, etc. etc. Kinda makes me just want to float around the upper half of the championship!

By the time we make the prem in a couple of seasons gambling sponsorships will be banned, so we will just have to stick to Bangkok Glass unless Ethical coconuts outbid them.

I have thought about this quite a bit. Let's assume that OUFC got taken over by a nefarious nation state like Newcastle, Manchester City or (it still looks possible) Manchester United. The narrative when Newcastle were taken over around, 'What are you going to do, stop supporting your club?' and all of that.

My answer to that would be an unequivocal yes. I genuinely don't understand how it's any kind of moral dilemma. My reasons for that would be that:
1) Taking Newcastle as a particular example, my empathy for homosexuals and women and journalists and the Yemeni people far outweighs my enthusiasm for seeing my football team score more goals than another on a Saturday afternoon, and I'm staggered that that would not be the same for everybody; and
2) It would not really be OUFC any more. It would not be the local, intimate thing that I knew and loved any more. It would be, as I've said in another thread, a vessel for the promotion of an objectively abhorrent nation state. By continuing to support it, I would be supporting that state rather than my team. Which I simply would not do.

Back
Top Bottom