General Joe Kinnear

RIP Joe Kinnear.

As bad as he was for our club, in a weird way he goes down as a big part of our history when we were truly awful and almost going bust.

Surprised he lasted this long after he asked to be released from his contract due to heart problems only to turn up a Looton a week later 🙄

Joe Kinnear's unveiling at Newcastle was one of the great sports press conferences...opening words:
Kinnear: “Which one is Simon Bird?”
Simon Bird: “Me.”
Kinnear: “You’re a c*nt.”
Bird: “Thank you.”

Turns out Kinnear hadn't actually read the Simon Bird article that had apparently annoyed him so much - Simon Bird absolutely owned him.

Joe Kinnear's unveiling at Newcastle was one of the great sports press conferences...opening words:
Kinnear: “Which one is Simon Bird?”
Simon Bird: “Me.”
Kinnear: “You’re a c*nt.”
Bird: “Thank you.”

Turns out Kinnear hadn't actually read the Simon Bird article that had apparently annoyed him so much - Simon Bird absolutely owned him.

The suggestion is that in both times at Newcastle, Dementia was starting to rear its ugly head. Definitely in the 2nd stint considering he was diagnosed in 2015, but the early stages could easily have been affecting him in the first spell.

I’m not too sure many Oxford fans will be mourning his passing. RIP, I suppose.

He brief stint was certainly memorable with us. Tbh though, he was a symptom of what was going on rather than the cause so whilst he was an a**e I have every sympathy with him, his family and friends.

Particularly that he and his family/friends had to deal with the horrible and grim ravages of Dementia. I have every sympathy having seen somebody go through the effects of Dementia, like many others on here have I'm sure.

Back
Top Bottom