Injuries

Hmm, so the options are: KR can't count, he doesn't know who is in his first team squad, there are three injuries he hasn't told us about, he has fallen out so badly with three of those eighteen that they won't even be on the bench or he is lining up his excuses early.
TBH - every single one of those worries me.
or he is referring to outfield players so is not including the keepers....

I can't help thinking that pre-season was too intense - what was it four games in five days or something? It just struck me that far from preparing the players for the opening day, they were trying to kill them off. We were sluggish in the fitrst couple of games and quite a few players picked up strians, pulls and knocks more associated with fatigue than one would expect.

Robinson told us that the tour would be very tough and the players would be stretched to their limits it was not a holiday.

Tsun Dai is still injured too I think. Vaguely remember hearing it on RadOx pre-game last week.

Was there due diligence over the fitness of our transfer targets. Ffs this is bloody ridiculous. A P**s poor match day shape 3-2-3-1 which doesn’t seem to work, when will the club learn.

Injuries bloody injuries it’s not great and yes I know these things happen in football but OUFC seem to be a magnet for injury prone players.....or is it the recruitment, if so who’s at fault?

Was there due diligence over the fitness of our transfer targets. Ffs this is bloody ridiculous. A P**s poor match day shape 3-2-3-1 which doesn’t seem to work, when will the club learn.

Injuries bloody injuries it’s not great and yes I know these things happen in football but OUFC seem to be a magnet for injury prone players.....or is it the recruitment, if so who’s at fault?
Its not down to due diligence. It was well known we were signing players who had issues, so it was a calculated risk they wouldnt recur.

We needed a cheap striker, we took a risk with Mackie.

Lets see how Mackie pans out, a lot of us thought it was a risky signing him due to his injury record. If Wikipedia is right looks like he has averaged 26 games a season in the last 5 years, and 18 games a season for the last 3 years. He may well be on a pay as you play deal, but it is not just about finances as you need a decent number of players available most of the season to keep the squad competitive.

If we didn't have any other players with a dodgy injury record then fair enough take the risk, but that wasn't the case. This isn't being wise after the event, if you look at Hall / Obika and Mackie then between them they have probably averaged a combined 75 games per season over the last few years - based on a 50 game season that roughly equates to 1.5 players.

What ever happened to sports science? ...wtf is happening in training sessions? ....15 fit players? ...u23s supposed to provide cover aren't they? Or are the u23s injured (or loaned out)? ....it's either KR shooting from the lip or something really isn't right with the training regieme, or for that matter the overall fitness n health of the players

Regarding injuries it appears to me that Carruthers and Eastwood were simply bad luck.
Without stating the obvious, if you bring in lots of players with a history of injury, you kind of have to expect injuries.

Maybe not all at the same time though.

Our summer recruitment was an absolute disaster.
Surely Carruthers and Eastwood injuries were simply bad luck.
Summer recruitment absolute disaster? Are you just discounting Whyte, Norman, Hanson, Browne?
It is very early in the season

Hmm, so the options are: KR can't count, he doesn't know who is in his first team squad, there are three injuries he hasn't told us about, he has fallen out so badly with three of those eighteen that they won't even be on the bench or he is lining up his excuses early.
TBH - every single one of those worries me.
I reckon that he doesn't see Long, Raglan as part of the first team squad.

What ever happened to sports science? ...wtf is happening in training sessions? ....15 fit players? ...u23s supposed to provide cover aren't they? Or are the u23s injured (or loaned out)? ....it's either KR shooting from the lip or something really isn't right with the training regieme, or for that matter the overall fitness n health of the players

Look at the senior players that see injured
Eastwood - freak impact injury
Carruthers - Ingame Injury that happens to many players across a season
Hall - sadly his knees seem shot. Can't get going without breaking down again.
Mackie - injury prone for the last few seasons, another injury is no surprise
Browne - arrived with an injury and not 100%, we've taken the risk to give him a lot of minutes. Not convinced he ever got to 100% fit following arrival injury.

Not sure any of these are down to training or preseason issues. If we were getting a lot of muscle injuries then I would be looking at the sports science etc l.

couple of weeks ago I'd have agreed on this, but I think he might actually be softening with regards to Long - let's hope so anyway...

Or hardening to a certain Mr McMahon. Heard whispers he isn't particularly flavour of the month.

Does anyone know who the player was that we didn't sign because he wouldn't run? He'd probably walk into our match day squad right now!

Re: the U23s - then the most significant loans out are probably Napa and Little at this stage, both of whom will probably be able to supplement the senior squad when they return. I probably wouldnt expect too much from the rest of them this season - I think there's a lot of finding their feet this year, so apart from those two &, the two old hands (Stevens & Long) I would think the only others we'll see are the young strikers (Lopes and Spasov getting the odd cameo and perhaps Bradbury if sustains his good start.

Does anyone know who the player was that we didn't sign because he wouldn't run? He'd probably walk into our match day squad right now!
The rumour mill has settled upon Jay Emmanuel Thomas, but I'm not sure that has actually been ever confirmed

My guess is Shearer. As has already been said, it seems unlikely we’ll see McMahon or Raglan in an Oxford shirt again
The only thing for me is if Shearer is not up to it/in favour , then why is he blocking Stevens from getting game time while Eastwood is out?

https://www.oxfordmail.co.uk/sport/...jury-blow-for-marcus-browne-and-jamie-mackie/

Browne out until next month
Mackie out for 4-6 weeks.

Injury list:
Fabio Lopes
Rob Hall
Simon Eastwood
Samir Carruthers
Jamie Mackie
Marcus Browne

Signing injury prone players, or just unlucky? Certainly the former in Rob Hall and Mackie.

Robinson: "Right now we have 15 fit players, that’s all we’ve got."

Don't forget Brannigan

Well that's his post match excuses for his chat with Nathan sorted.

What about Maynard on a game by game basis?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom