Matches Home Support Attendance.

Is that why before Lincoln had even achieved anything and were still in the conference, they were getting bigger home crowds than we do now and were regularly taking 2,000+ to away games?

Or could it be because they actually made an effort to engage the community and get them inside the ground, which they then used to fuel the team’s performance and the entire thing snowballed?

Either or.
I'm in the middle of waiting for my shrink to come out of his toy box so whilst waiting for him to come nose out first I hurriedly looked up Lincoln's home averages as I was intrigued by your post. In the few minutes I had Lincoln's home average for 12/13 was around 2.3k 13/14 2.3k 14/15 2.4k but couldn't find much for 15/16 but at a stab it was around 3.8k with 16/17 a rise to around 5.1k as things became hotter. 17/18 a huge shebang was happening with crowds rising to 8k. So yes a massive growth spurt after 16/17 but certainly nothing to talk to my shrink
about beforehand or afterhand other than the walk by Lincoln was now quickstepping.

An aside between 12/13 and 16/17 we (oufc home attendances) were well above that of Lincoln's...but we tbf were nowhere near Lcfc for last season and so far for this season which is really disappointing. We can improve and probably will when bigger and better teams visit but supporting oufc is tough and it's for life for many but for others it's probably not. Getting at the root is the problem and getting new/lapsed supporters back is always tougher because the minute they come through the door the team may dip and the scratch itch scratch cycle starts again and lanacane will this time not work. The whole ethic of the show (getting people to come) is for a beginning (pre match entertainment outside/inside weather permitting) start (the match/matches) being of above average football fare which it is at present and the end (post match entertainment perhaps to let the crowd disperse at one's leisure). I'm not sensible enough (my visit states this) or qualified enough to sort things out like this but I'm sure there are avenues to explore based on my witterings. The manor had crowds in excess of 10 to 18k at times during the 70's but as the entertainment dropped so did the crowds as the manor struggled to adapt as the space the ground afforded albeit receeded year upon year. I cannot believe we haven't got anyone within the club who couldn't be in charge of implementing some entertainment even if it is by way of local musicians/bands singing somewhere within the outside perimeter of the stadium that FK would allow if he was approached properly, and perhaps have an outside bar run by Farr's? I know we may have to pay for this privilege and make little or no profit but if it improves attendances then hey. I know this is something similar to the priory but if it's on the stadium's land it may make the stadium a little less souless if done properly? The entertainment team could hire all sorts of people/local celebrity's and this probably would give a fans zone of some sort which in itself may prove a small but positive first tentative new step (again). Let's face it we are not going anywhere soon so we either talk to the boss or not. If it's not then we unfortunately have to swallow a lot of medicine take your pick.....

Lincoln from the findings isn't actually the big noise that you suggested but they have granted grown in stature remarkably quickly by doing something right and it may be a suggestion that an employee of oufc contacts/visits them and asks for that magic formula or that the club seek a company who will provide the intelligence of entertainment/trends in customer/consumer focussed products and start again from scratch.

I know I know we don't own the ground or the land so please don't come back and hound the ol' horse as I and everybody else know the open and shut case of the implications of the kassam but without sounding like an old record we are stuck here until times up and we all if you love the club can keep sending in ideas of any magnitude to our hierarchy to chew over and hopefully one or two may just be the golden ticket that helps promote this club in moving forward.

'Oh hello Mr psychiatrist how has your day been' 'Entertaining'. Lol.

I'm in the middle of waiting for my shrink to come out of his toy box so whilst waiting for him to come nose out first I hurriedly looked up Lincoln's home averages as I was intrigued by your post. In the few minutes I had Lincoln's home average for 12/13 was around 2.3k 13/14 2.3k 14/15 2.4k but couldn't find much for 15/16 but at a stab it was around 3.8k with 16/17 a rise to around 5.1k as things became hotter. 17/18 a huge shebang was happening with crowds rising to 8k. So yes a massive growth spurt after 16/17 but certainly nothing to talk to my shrink
about beforehand or afterhand other than the walk by Lincoln was now quickstepping.

An aside between 12/13 and 16/17 we (oufc home attendances) were well above that of Lincoln's...but we tbf were nowhere near Lcfc for last season and so far for this season which is really disappointing. We can improve and probably will when bigger and better teams visit but supporting oufc is tough and it's for life for many but for others it's probably not. Getting at the root is the problem and getting new/lapsed supporters back is always tougher because the minute they come through the door the team may dip and the scratch itch scratch cycle starts again and lanacane will this time not work. The whole ethic of the show (getting people to come) is for a beginning (pre match entertainment outside/inside weather permitting) start (the match/matches) being of above average football fare which it is at present and the end (post match entertainment perhaps to let the crowd disperse at one's leisure). I'm not sensible enough (my visit states this) or qualified enough to sort things out like this but I'm sure there are avenues to explore based on my witterings. The manor had crowds in excess of 10 to 18k at times during the 70's but as the entertainment dropped so did the crowds as the manor struggled to adapt as the space the ground afforded albeit receeded year upon year. I cannot believe we haven't got anyone within the club who couldn't be in charge of implementing some entertainment even if it is by way of local musicians/bands singing somewhere within the outside perimeter of the stadium that FK would allow if he was approached properly, and perhaps have an outside bar run by Farr's? I know we may have to pay for this privilege and make little or no profit but if it improves attendances then hey. I know this is something similar to the priory but if it's on the stadium's land it may make the stadium a little less souless if done properly? The entertainment team could hire all sorts of people/local celebrity's and this probably would give a fans zone of some sort which in itself may prove a small but positive first tentative new step (again). Let's face it we are not going anywhere soon so we either talk to the boss or not. If it's not then we unfortunately have to swallow a lot of medicine take your pick.....

Lincoln from the findings isn't actually the big noise that you suggested but they have granted grown in stature remarkably quickly by doing something right and it may be a suggestion that an employee of oufc contacts/visits them and asks for that magic formula or that the club seek a company who will provide the intelligence of entertainment/trends in customer/consumer focussed products and start again from scratch.

I know I know we don't own the ground or the land so please don't come back and hound the ol' horse as I and everybody else know the open and shut case of the implications of the kassam but without sounding like an old record we are stuck here until times up and we all if you love the club can keep sending in ideas of any magnitude to our hierarchy to chew over and hopefully one or two may just be the golden ticket that helps promote this club in moving forward.

You’ve just beaten Bazz to the longest sentence prize.

The fact 40 miles separate Oxford supporting towns of Didcot and Banbury should be seen as a great opportunity for the club, Oxford United is the only professional team in Oxfordshire.

You’ve backed up what I was ultimately saying in your findings. Lincoln increased home attendances by around 50% during their promotion season and it was more than 100% up on the average from two years prior. That is sensational. Keep in mind that the key is they did this DURING a successful season, not on the BACK of one. By the end of their promotion season they were getting home crowds a fair bit larger than the season average and taking big away followings - I was there with a Lincoln season ticket holder from my office when they went away to Solihull on a Tuesday night in January and had more fans than Solihull did - around 1,000 out of a crowd of 1,700. They soon began taking 2,000+ to away games that were hours away on a regular basis, and the club, team and fans began bouncing off each other. I work with someone who was there the whole time and who I even went to a match with to see it for myself, and that’s the only reason I take exception to people claiming Lincoln only attract good numbers because of their success. It’s categorically untrue - it began in the Conference and every part of the club and fan base has dragged the other up for the last three years. We saw it here when Wilder first arrived nearly 11 years ago and we went from a hopeless Conference side struggling to get 4,000 at home to a veritable army taking 3,000+ to the likes of Woking and regularly getting twice the crowds at home that we previously had, all in the space of three or four months. We really went for it off the pitch, started the ‘Believe’ campaign and again, the entire thing snowballed. We’ve seen it at this club in this stadium before, so we know it can be done, but it takes more than people shrugging while smoking a fat cigar and acting like it would be a privilege for any mere peasant to watch our swashbuckling, champagne soccer ball. The team deserves a bigger crowd and it’s doing its bit on the pitch, and now it needs the people behind the scenes to help engage the local population and fill some seats. They’re the first ones to talk about needing money and god only knows we read enough notes from Tiger telling people to buy more tickets - go and bloody get people. Get in the local press more, co-ordinate a marketing campaign, work with fans groups and pull people together while the momentum is there. Don’t wait for it to fizzle out, go and get people while the bus is rolling rather than wait for it to start slowing down. That’s why it hacks me off when so many people turn their noses up at clubs like Lincoln - they made their own success by working together to create something special, and they deserve to be getting bigger crowds and selling more season tickets than a lot of clubs at this level, including us. It shouldn’t be played down as nothing more than some sort of glory hunting exercise, nor should the narrative from our fan base predominantly be one of apathy and complacency.

At the end of the day, Lincoln are a great example of how to generate and then maximise momentum by galvanising a community and being proactive. They shoved themselves up two divisions, reached the FA Cup quarter finals, made the playoffs in between promotions and in the same season as that won a Wembley cup final - all in under three years. If we did the same thing as them, we’d be in the Premier League. That’s why I find it so staggering that people seem to think having ambition and wanting more is somehow a form of negative criticism. It smacks of a lack of ambition and also a fundamental lack of understanding of what’s gone on elsewhere. The team deserves more people to come and see them, and if they did at present they might just become very passionate, very quickly. We should be making a real effort to go out and grab them, not just sitting back and acting like it’ll all take care of itself.

You’ve backed up what I was ultimately saying in your findings. Lincoln increased home attendances by around 50% during their promotion season and it was more than 100% up on the average from two years prior. That is sensational. Keep in mind that the key is they did this DURING a successful season, not on the BACK of one. By the end of their promotion season they were getting home crowds a fair bit larger than the season average and taking big away followings - I was there with a Lincoln season ticket holder from my office when they went away to Solihull on a Tuesday night in January and had more fans than Solihull did - around 1,000 out of a crowd of 1,700. They soon began taking 2,000+ to away games that were hours away on a regular basis, and the club, team and fans began bouncing off each other. I work with someone who was there the whole time and who I even went to a match with to see it for myself, and that’s the only reason I take exception to people claiming Lincoln only attract good numbers because of their success. It’s categorically untrue - it began in the Conference and every part of the club and fan base has dragged the other up for the last three years. We saw it here when Wilder first arrived nearly 11 years ago and we went from a hopeless Conference side struggling to get 4,000 at home to a veritable army taking 3,000+ to the likes of Woking and regularly getting twice the crowds at home that we previously had, all in the space of three or four months. We really went for it off the pitch, started the ‘Believe’ campaign and again, the entire thing snowballed. We’ve seen it at this club in this stadium before, so we know it can be done, but it takes more than people shrugging while smoking a fat cigar and acting like it would be a privilege for any mere peasant to watch our swashbuckling, champagne soccer ball. The team deserves a bigger crowd and it’s doing its bit on the pitch, and now it needs the people behind the scenes to help engage the local population and fill some seats. They’re the first ones to talk about needing money and god only knows we read enough notes from Tiger telling people to buy more tickets - go and bloody get people. Get in the local press more, co-ordinate a marketing campaign, work with fans groups and pull people together while the momentum is there. Don’t wait for it to fizzle out, go and get people while the bus is rolling rather than wait for it to start slowing down. That’s why it hacks me off when so many people turn their noses up at clubs like Lincoln - they made their own success by working together to create something special, and they deserve to be getting bigger crowds and selling more season tickets than a lot of clubs at this level, including us. It shouldn’t be played down as nothing more than some sort of glory hunting exercise, nor should the narrative from our fan base predominantly be one of apathy and complacency.

At the end of the day, Lincoln are a great example of how to generate and then maximise momentum by galvanising a community and being proactive. They shoved themselves up two divisions, reached the FA Cup quarter finals, made the playoffs in between promotions and in the same season as that won a Wembley cup final - all in under three years. If we did the same thing as them, we’d be in the Premier League. That’s why I find it so staggering that people seem to think having ambition and wanting more is somehow a form of negative criticism. It smacks of a lack of ambition and also a fundamental lack of understanding of what’s gone on elsewhere. The team deserves more people to come and see them, and if they did at present they might just become very passionate, very quickly. We should be making a real effort to go out and grab them, not just sitting back and acting like it’ll all take care of itself.
good post ^

One thing I notice at Reading station where I change trains to get to home games. There is a huge electronic outdoor big screen by the front entrance /exit to the station in the pedestrian zone by the Three Guineas pub. They often have adverts for the next Reading home game.

it's not a particularly great picture, but it's just off centre in this visualisation.

So far as I know there isn't a similar screen at Oxford station, but if there was it should be used.

One thing I notice at Reading station where I change trains to get to home games. There is a huge electronic outdoor big screen by the front entrance /exit to the station in the pedestrian zone by the Three Guineas pub. They often have adverts for the next Reading home game.

it's not a particularly great picture, but it's just off centre in this visualisation.

So far as I know there isn't a similar screen at Oxford station, but if there was it should be used.

Lucky to have working toilets at Oxford station, what a shithole it is for what's supposed to be a posh city!

But I have seen this screen you mention, the plastics are really promoted as part of their community and we are just not seen in the same light or certainly not promoted as well.

Update on this season’s home support for League matches.

Peterborough, 6215.
Burton, 5950 (evening)
Coventry, 6270.
Tranmere, 5655.
Gillingham, 6070.
Doncaster, 6370.
Rochdale, 6460.

Numbers slowly increasing, yes the weather was crap today, but I still think the figures are disappointing.

We need the good people of Oxfordshire to get to Grenoble Road and support our club.

For goodness sake the Ruffels ‘Cruyff’ turn today was worth the admission alone!

Edited for spelling!

Last edited:

John Lewis in Reading has a section selling Reading shirts, can you imagine the Oxford one selling ours? And there should be something at the station, the bus from there is direct though it takes ages.

Update on this season’s home support for League matches.

Peterborough, 6215.
Burton, 5950 (evening)
Coventry, 6270.
Tranmere, 5655.
Gillingham, 6070.
Doncaster, 6370.
Rochdale, 6460.

Numbers slowly increasing, yes the weather was crap today, but I still think the figures are disappointing.

We need the good people of Oxfordshire to get to Grenoble Road and support our club.

For goodness sake the Ruffels ‘Cruff’ turn today was worth the admission alone!
Who’s cruff?

Where the dogs hang out. Or Johan Cruijff.

Back
Top Bottom