Matches Home Support Attendance.

It may look like I'm trying to moan, but football fans are stubborn. A vast majority aren't going to go out of their way to give their views.

However, if you asked the the Blackbird if someone from the club could walk around with a clipboard, speaking with anyone and everyone about their ideas, I'm certain it would be a better use of time and you'd have honest opinions from the people most likely involved in the atmosphere.

?‍♂️

Cracking idea, cant see it happening though. I imagine the club wouldnt want it to be a free for all especially if we're in a slump of results and they can keep it relatively controlled at the ground.

Maybe something to consider the saturday after getting into the quarters of the Carabao Cup :sneaky:

I mean it might be useful to garner the views of a wider range of supporters from ardent committee-goers, even if they're the 'wrong sort' - like the Ultras.
Oh yes definitely. The club has given an email address to send thoughts to, that’s probably the best way to do it

I mean it might be useful to garner the views of a wider range of supporters from ardent committee-goers, even if they're the 'wrong sort' - like the Ultras.
Personally, I would have thought going to the 'Bird to gather opinions would have come pretty near the top of anyone's list of where to get useful information.
East & North stand regulars, with a few ssl/u thrown in for good measure would have some views from the long standing support and, probably, quite frank and honest opinions.
Granted, some thoughts will be of the more madcap nature but, anything that helps has got to be good?

We have Rochdale at home coming up on Sat 26th Oct which may normally attract 6,500. (6,200 home and 300 away) but now also have Sunderland in the cup 3 days later.
I think about 50% of our supporters have moved away from Oxfordshire and possibly travel more than 40 miles to a home game, and the "cost" of attending a home game is not necessarily the £, cost of a ticket, but spare time and hassle of travel, and hence restrict their attendance to maybe 2 home games a month. Therefore, some fans who had provisionally pencilled in Rochdale at home (and Donny at home) may swap the Rochdale game for the Sunderland game, so whilst the Sunderland attendance is boosted it is at the expense of Rochdale attendance.

Good idea, but once again, key point being missed here.

Between 12:30pm and 1:30pm on a Saturday, where do you find a majority of the fans that sing at games?

EDIT: My exact same point is made with any OxVox meeting, Fans Forum and more. Doing these pre-match is stupid.

Now if they were to hold it in the blackbird..

They should get a load of ticket sellers to stand right outside the bowling and cinema between 1400 and 1500 and ask how much they’re paying to take their family in for the afternoon.

Whatever the cost is they should have licence to turn round and say “see that over there, that’s the field of dreams right there and it’s half the price of your bowing. Come and enjoy watching the mighty U’s”.

Slowly but surely they’d all decide not to go bowling or to the cinema and OGB would be left with more empty breeze block to run into the ground before disappearing off (in)to the Mediterranean.

They should get a load of ticket sellers to stand right outside the bowling and cinema between 1400 and 1500 and ask how much they’re paying to take their family in for the afternoon.

Whatever the cost is they should have licence to turn round and say “see that over there, that’s the field of dreams right there and it’s half the price of your bowing. Come and enjoy watching the mighty U’s”.

Slowly but surely they’d all decide not to go bowling or to the cinema and OGB would be left with more empty breeze block to run into the ground before disappearing off (in)to the Mediterranean.
@Farrscatering may need to get some popcorn machines in for the family stand kiosks though ;)

The main excuse seems to be around the cost, I think it's decent value and some people are just miserable tight gits !

The main excuse seems to be around the cost, I think it's decent value and some people are just miserable tight gits !

Tightness is relative to how much spare cash you have after paying your bills though. Until moving last week I would of agreed with you, now after a bit of number crunching it looks pricey. One mans tenner is another mans twenty I suppose.

Tightness is relative to how much spare cash you have after paying your bills though. Until moving last week I would of agreed with you, now after a bit of number crunching it looks pricey. One mans tenner is another mans twenty I suppose.

I fully understand that, my point was some use it as an 'excuse' for not attending..

There are many factors that can prevent people attending but to state that using cost is an excuse is laughable...it has been said many times that cost does not just = the ticket/s....not everyone can walk up to the ground or jump on a bus. The cost for a family can exceed £100 and how many hours does the average person have to work in real terms to receive that?.

There are many factors that can prevent people attending but to state that using cost is an excuse is laughable...it has been said many times that cost does not just = the ticket/s....not everyone can walk up to the ground or jump on a bus. The cost for a family can exceed £100 and how many hours does the average person have to work in real terms to receive that?.

It's same for all fans, plenty pay more and probably earn less, they have a passion which means they will do everything to get along to support their team and they don't make excuses...

If someone cannot afford it then it's completely understandable, but many can but use lame excuses!

It's same for all fans, plenty pay more and probably earn less, they have a passion which means they will do everything to get along to support their team and they don't make excuses...

If someone cannot afford it then it's completely understandable, but many can but use lame excuses!
Thats a very simplistic and short sighted view. Plus, you would have to know the state of someones finances for sure to know if they are making 'lame' excuses!

Thats a very simplistic and short sighted view. Plus, you would have to know the state of someones finances for sure to know if they are making 'lame' excuses!

That's down to them it's their personal business, nothing wrong highlighting that it's one of the most used excuses. If you can't be arsed going just say so!

That's down to them it's their personal business, nothing wrong highlighting that it's one of the most used excuses. If you can't be arsed going just say so!

I understand what you're saying, but how do you discern when it's being used an excuse? Money for me at the moment is the only limiting factor in whether I can attend home games & I've already got a season ticket.

I understand what you're saying, but how do you discern when it's being used an excuse? Money for me at the moment is the only limiting factor in whether I can attend home games & I've already got a season ticket.

I keep saying I completely understand and have been in that situation myself, I just find this list of excuses to NOT come infuriating..

We have Rochdale at home coming up on Sat 26th Oct which may normally attract 6,500. (6,200 home and 300 away) but now also have Sunderland in the cup 3 days later.
I think about 50% of our supporters have moved away from Oxfordshire and possibly travel more than 40 miles to a home game, and the "cost" of attending a home game is not necessarily the £, cost of a ticket, but spare time and hassle of travel, and hence restrict their attendance to maybe 2 home games a month. Therefore, some fans who had provisionally pencilled in Rochdale at home (and Donny at home) may swap the Rochdale game for the Sunderland game, so whilst the Sunderland attendance is boosted it is at the expense of Rochdale attendance.

This !! I never feel bad about missing home league games as I`ve already paid. ?

Personally, I would have thought going to the 'Bird to gather opinions would have come pretty near the top of anyone's list of where to get useful information.
East & North stand regulars, with a few ssl/u thrown in for good measure would have some views from the long standing support and, probably, quite frank and honest opinions.
Granted, some thoughts will be of the more madcap nature but, anything that helps has got to be good?
As long as they avoid the negative table in the snug ;)

Considering the previous matches against Lincoln & West Ham and in particular the results and performances, I thought yesterday’s home support attendance was disappointing.

So I thought I’d quickly look up to see this season’s home support (not including away fans) for League matches only.

Peterborough, 6215.
Burton, 5950 (evening)
Coventry, 6270.
Tranmere, 5655.
Gillingham, 6070.

Matches against Tranmere & Gillingham May not have the pulling power of Coventry, but to scrape just over 6000 home fans after recent performances is disappointing. I wonder how the board and management feel about it?

So we can now add today’s home support to this season’s attendance list. (League matches only)

Peterborough, 6215.
Burton, 5950 (evening)
Coventry, 6270.
Tranmere, 5655.
Gillingham, 6070.
Doncaster, 6370.

An increase of 300 home supporters on the Gillingham game, but just a 100 increase from the Coventry match.

I still find the numbers disappointing considering the quality of football, number of goals and entertainment on view.

Attendances are the club’s main source of income, it would be perfectly understandable (at current attendance levels) if the board feel they need to sell a player (such as Brannigan or Dickie) in January to keep the club sustainable.

Back
Top Bottom