Henry Landers(striker)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've never really understood the phrase 'cut the mustard'.

Mustard doesn't need cutting, particularly in these days of squeezy tubes.

Or is it 'cut' a la drugs? If so, surely having impurities added to make your mustard bigger by volume would be a bad thing - certainly for the end-user.

Or is it 'cut' a la drugs? If so, surely having impurities added to make your mustard bigger by volume would be a bad thing - certainly for the end-user.
but if it's gone off and is hard and crispy I guess you'd be able to cut it then

There are different types of Mustard and some are solid enough to need cutting tbf.

This might help though:

Mustard is made from the seed of the mustard plant When mustard plant was one of the main crops in East Anglia, it was cut by hand with scythes, in the same way as corn. The crop could grow up to six feet high and this was very arduous work, requiring extremely sharp tools. When blunt they "would not cut the mustard"

Thanks all.

I did find the link above of my own volition but no-one seems to be entirely happy with any of the origin explanations.

You might say that the theories simply don't cut the mustard.

I’ve contacted the club on behalf of Henry’s mum, Dad, cousin, brother, cousins brother or whoever it is positing on here.

They’re going to get back to me.

Did you ask them about mustard too?

Mustard is made from the seed of the mustard plant When mustard plant was one of the main crops in East Anglia, it was cut by hand with scythes, in the same way as corn. The crop could grow up to six feet high and this was very arduous work, requiring extremely sharp tools. When blunt they "would not cut the mustard"

Missed the bit that gives this account authority, @warksox, Phil Pegum went on to say " All this and everything else you could ever want to know about mustard can be found at the Mustard Museum in Norwich. "

There's a mildly amusing proposal about the phrase on Urban Dictionary, but one would want to verify it with the Mustard Museum. About cutting the crust from mustard during the fermentation or whatever production process.

The article that's linked to seems to be a set of pastes from various other sources, and stunningly ignorant.

Rumoured trial or signing or just utter pie in the sky ??? I expect you e mailed all the club's constantly for attention, like on this forum, That is quite alot of levels to jump for such an inexperienced and young player, these Championship or League 1 clubs will sign Chelsea or Man City/ Premiership young rejects before a non league relagation side player
Trial at Wigan Athletic. .played against Fleetwood Town in a development game. .waiting to hear back..

Trial at Wigan Athletic. .played against Fleetwood Town in a development game. .waiting to hear back..
If you tout yourself about enough, you will get a trial, as I assume his Agent/Relatives are very big time, unfortunately these club's get trialists in constantly to keep what they got on their toes, waiting to hear or not being sat down after the game and having a meaningful conversation and feedback or even a contract to sign after one trial game, means a no thanks unfortunately...the fact of the matter they have pro players on contracts and it is luck and good timing if you are better than what they have got if you get signed, checking the Fleetwood website I see a 5-1 loss for Wigan, did Henry get the one goal ? If he did we would surely have heard about it, and Fleetwood had a trialist in Goal as well, but had nothing to do in the match report

If you tout yourself about enough, you will get a trial, as I assume his Agent/Relatives are very big time, unfortunately these club's get trialists in constantly to keep what they got on their toes, waiting to hear or not being sat down after the game and having a meaningful conversation and feedback or even a contract to sign after one trial game, means a no thanks unfortunately...the fact of the matter they have pro players on contracts and it is luck and good timing if you are better than what they have got if you get signed, checking the Fleetwood website I see a 5-1 loss for Wigan, did Henry get the one goal ? If he did we would surely have heard about it, and Fleetwood had a trialist in Goal as well, but had nothing to do in the match report
You are correct. .300 Miles for a trial. .the scout also travelled the same to watch the lad and he was impressed with him.all be it in a struggling Team..he played with other triallist. .just be happy supporting a Team of loan signings. .

You are correct. .300 Miles for a trial. .the scout also travelled the same to watch the lad and he was impressed with him.all be it in a struggling Team..he played with other triallist. .just be happy supporting a Team of loan signings. .

Ignoring whyte, branagan, dickie, long, Sykes, Baptiste, Lopez, spasov, napa, James, heap. You know all those young talented players we scouted and developed, from on our doorstep and from further afield. As well as a league winning highly rated u18 side packed with talent, and a newly formed u23 side with players knocking on the door of the first team.

Last edited by a moderator:
Unfortunately these pro clubs do send out scouts looking and have them up and down the country, but they don't make the real decisions on the players and you get there 300 miles away for nothing, they get given a club coat and just get the cattle in, false hope for all, scout only interested in their bonus if they manage to get a player in that they actual sign, good luck,it's the reality of the game, but keep chasing the dream, working hard,being the best you can and then who knows

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom