Ex Player Happy 80th birthday Hughie Curran

OK, here it is.

So, I was led down the touchline and into a brand new police room, under the Arkells Stand. It was a room with no windows, not all that big, and at the end of it was a police sergeant. He was not very tall (in fact he was short, so I've no idea how he got into the police), seemed quite old to me, had dark hair slicked back with Brylcreem, and a thin pencil moustache. He looked a bit like an army sergeant major. He was stood behind a lecturn, and due to his shortness was stood on a box!

He says to the two coppers that were holding me, in a broad Swindon yokel accent "What has he done?" So they tell him I've invaded the pitch. One of them then says "But that's not all sarge" and spins me round to show him the back of my t-shirt. "So yooo ates Swindon do yooo?" he says "Well oi f*****g ates yooo, yooo little baaaaarstard"

He then steps down from his box, walks over, kicks me up the a**e and says "Get this baaaaaarstard out of moy soight" in his silly accent.So they kicked me out of the ground, no arrest, and I thought I'd try to pay to get in again. The Oxford fans had caused so much mayhem that the turnstile operators had given up and I just walked straight back in without paying to a hero's welcome, and watched us beat Swindon at the County Ground for the first time ever.

Happy days, and as I said before, a totally different era. It makes me realise that today's generation will never have the kind of fun that we had back in the day.
Spot on collin,those days sadly,are long gone.

Happy Birthday Hughie. I remember your brilliant hat trick against Sunderland in 1973. Finishing of the highest quality.
It certainly was.
The perfect hat trick. One with his right, one with his left and a header. A 5-1 win.
And they won the FA Cup that season!!

Brave as a lion, brilliant in the air.

Head butted a ref at Hillsborough and got a 10 game ban.

Scored at Wembley in an England v Scotland game.

Happy birthday.
I think the ref was John Hunting. Hugh told me the ref wagged his finger and called him over when Hugh was 20 yards away. Feelings were already running high but this arrogance tipped it over the edge. Hugh is still ramrod straight and carries little weight. However, the knees are totally shot....all those pain killing injections.

It certainly was.
The perfect hat trick. One with his right, one with his left and a header. A 5-1 win.
And they won the FA Cup that season!!
Not sure if I remember this correctly but did we beat Middlesborough the week before or after 4-0?

I was shocked to hear on the 6.45 sports roundup on radio 2 that we had signed Hughie, a scottish international who had scored at wembley, Gerry summers bought some great players in

I was shocked to hear on the 6.45 sports roundup on radio 2 that we had signed Hughie, a scottish international who had scored at wembley, Gerry summers bought some great players in

Sadly, within 2 years of signing Curran, we started to have financial issues, he had to be sold, and the Tony Rosser era was in full swing.

OK, here it is.

So, I was led down the touchline and into a brand new police room, under the Arkells Stand. It was a room with no windows, not all that big, and at the end of it was a police sergeant. He was not very tall (in fact he was short, so I've no idea how he got into the police), seemed quite old to me, had dark hair slicked back with Brylcreem, and a thin pencil moustache. He looked a bit like an army sergeant major. He was stood behind a lecturn, and due to his shortness was stood on a box!

He says to the two coppers that were holding me, in a broad Swindon yokel accent "What has he done?" So they tell him I've invaded the pitch. One of them then says "But that's not all sarge" and spins me round to show him the back of my t-shirt. "So yooo ates Swindon do yooo?" he says "Well oi f*****g ates yooo, yooo little baaaaarstard"

He then steps down from his box, walks over, kicks me up the a**e and says "Get this baaaaaarstard out of moy soight" in his silly accent.So they kicked me out of the ground, no arrest, and I thought I'd try to pay to get in again. The Oxford fans had caused so much mayhem that the turnstile operators had given up and I just walked straight back in without paying to a hero's welcome, and watched us beat Swindon at the County Ground for the first time ever.

Happy days, and as I said before, a totally different era. It makes me realise that today's generation will never have the kind of fun that we had back in the day.
This is priceless stuff, Colin B, thanks for sharing.

Not sure if I remember this correctly but did we beat Middlesborough the week before or after 4-0?
We did beat them 4-0 but that was about a couple of months before.
We lost the previous two and the two after that. So a really good result against Sunderland in the middle of four bad one's!!
We actually signed Hughie a few days after we lost to Man Utd in a League Cup replay at Old Trafford having drawn 2-2 at home, George Best, Bobby Charlton, Dennis Law and all!!

Back
Top Bottom