Ex Player Happy 80th birthday Hughie Curran

Signed for £50K in Sept 1972 (when I was merely a few weeks old) - that must have been a hell of a lot of money for a transfer back then.

That is probably the most immature thing I've seen posted on here, which takes some doing :ROFLMAO:
Thanks :-D thought it fitted in with the 1970s image... all the old books at school in the early 80s had similar doodles..

In the Norwich City 50 Best Ever Players......They could do with him now.

Signed for £50K in Sept 1972 (when I was merely a few weeks old) - that must have been a hell of a lot of money for a transfer back then.
The British transfer record at the time was £225,000 for David Nish from Leicester City to Derby County. So we paid a quarter of that for Hughie Curran. That's the equivalent of about £30m in today's transfer market!

Apart from what a great player he was for us, two things stand out for me.

Firstly, I was walking to work in the morning, reading the morning paper as I walked, and on the back page was the news that we'd signed Hughie from Wolves for £55,000. I was absolutely gobsmacked, as this was a real stellar signing for a Second Division side like Oxford United. Also, it really was a different era, as that is how you found things out back then, in the pre Teletext or Internet era.

Secondly was Swindon away. The game where we beat them and Hughie scored. Me and a mate had got t-shirts printed with "Oxford United" on the front, and "We Hate Swindon" on the back. The Town End had been taken by Oxford, as was usual back then, and our plan was to walk round to the halfway line, in the Shrivenham Road Stand, and run on the pitch wearing said t-shirts, as the players were warming up.

I went first, ran about 30 yards and looked behind me to see that my mate had bottled it, and I was on my own. I then went round shaking hands with Oxford players and walked towards the Town End for my big moment. I took my bomber jacket off and stood with my arms aloft facing the stand, with the fans seeing the front of my t-shirt. I then, somewhat theatrically, turned around, so that the Oxford fans could see the back of the t-shirt, bearing the words "We Hate Swindon" To a man the whole stand broke into a chant of We Hate Swindon, We Hate Swindon. It was incredible for a 17 year old to be doing this. More incredible was that nobody had stopped me, no police, no stewards, and the players weren't bothered in the slightest!

Then things changed a bit. As I went to climb triumphantly back into the Town End, The police appeared and two of them grabbed me, and started dragging me along the touchline toward the Arkels Stand, which had only just been built. Enter Hughie Curran. He remonstrated with them all the way to the corner flag saying in his broad Glaswegian accent "Ye cannae f*****g arrest him, he hasnae f*****g done nothing" Once it was apparent that they weren't going to release me, he said "Good luck son" and went to carry on warming up.

What a different era it really was, great days, and the kind of thing that got us kids addicted to football and our clubs. Imagine the outrage today, and how I'd have been banned, prosecuted, and castigated by all and sundry. Some idiot would probably categorise it as a hate crime! There's a funny little twist in the tale, of what happened next, if anyone's interested?

One of the bravest forwards we ever had. Never shirked a tackle and would go head first into the boots. Have to admit I assumed he was more than a year older than myself. Happy Birthday old chap

Absolute legend. Cassidy and Curran what a combination. If your reading this Hugh I hope you have a great day.

The British transfer record at the time was £225,000 for David Nish from Leicester City to Derby County. So we paid a quarter of that for Hughie Curran. That's the equivalent of about £30m in today's transfer market!

Apart from what a great player he was for us, two things stand out for me.

Firstly, I was walking to work in the morning, reading the morning paper as I walked, and on the back page was the news that we'd signed Hughie from Wolves for £55,000. I was absolutely gobsmacked, as this was a real stellar signing for a Second Division side like Oxford United. Also, it really was a different era, as that is how you found things out back then, in the pre Teletext or Internet era.

Secondly was Swindon away. The game where we beat them and Hughie scored. Me and a mate had got t-shirts printed with "Oxford United" on the front, and "We Hate Swindon" on the back. The Town End had been taken by Oxford, as was usual back then, and our plan was to walk round to the halfway line, in the Shrivenham Road Stand, and run on the pitch wearing said t-shirts, as the players were warming up.

I went first, ran about 30 yards and looked behind me to see that my mate had bottled it, and I was on my own. I then went round shaking hands with Oxford players and walked towards the Town End for my big moment. I took my bomber jacket off and stood with my arms aloft facing the stand, with the fans seeing the front of my t-shirt. I then, somewhat theatrically, turned around, so that the Oxford fans could see the back of the t-shirt, bearing the words "We Hate Swindon" To a man the whole stand broke into a chant of We Hate Swindon, We Hate Swindon. It was incredible for a 17 year old to be doing this. More incredible was that nobody had stopped me, no police, no stewards, and the players weren't bothered in the slightest!

Then things changed a bit. As I went to climb triumphantly back into the Town End, The police appeared and two of them grabbed me, and started dragging me along the touchline toward the Arkels Stand, which had only just been built. Enter Hughie Curran. He remonstrated with them all the way to the corner flag saying in his broad Glaswegian accent "Ye cannae f*****g arrest him, he hasnae f*****g done nothing" Once it was apparent that they weren't going to release me, he said "Good luck son" and went to carry on warming up.

What a different era it really was, great days, and the kind of thing that got us kids addicted to football and our clubs. Imagine the outrage today, and how I'd have been banned, prosecuted, and castigated by all and sundry. Some idiot would probably categorise it as a hate crime! There's a funny little twist in the tale, of what happened next, if anyone's interested?

I am.

I remember his debut well against Millwall at the Manor.
Of course he scored the first goal, a low left foot shot from the edge of the area at the London Road end. I was right behind it and the whole stand shook!! Cass got the other.
Next up Sheff Weds at home, the gate was three thousand up on the previous week. We won 1-0, who scored? Yep Hughie.
Next game Brighton away 2-2, who scored them both? Yep Hughie!!
Next game Pompey away. Hughie was injured, we lost 1-0.
Hughie had chronic knee problems after a bad injury. We would never have been able to get him otherwise but what a player for Div2 now championship.
As I said earlier, I spoke to him on the way up to a game a few seasons back and we were discussing our lack of goals. Hughie quipped 'don't worry son, I've got my boot's '
What a player and character.
Happy birthday Hughie!!

Last edited:

Given Grease was released at the beginning of Hughie's tenure......"Tell me more, Tell me more, did you get very far".

Seconded.
OK, here it is.

So, I was led down the touchline and into a brand new police room, under the Arkells Stand. It was a room with no windows, not all that big, and at the end of it was a police sergeant. He was not very tall (in fact he was short, so I've no idea how he got into the police), seemed quite old to me, had dark hair slicked back with Brylcreem, and a thin pencil moustache. He looked a bit like an army sergeant major. He was stood behind a lecturn, and due to his shortness was stood on a box!

He says to the two coppers that were holding me, in a broad Swindon yokel accent "What has he done?" So they tell him I've invaded the pitch. One of them then says "But that's not all sarge" and spins me round to show him the back of my t-shirt. "So yooo ates Swindon do yooo?" he says "Well oi f*****g ates yooo, yooo little baaaaarstard"

He then steps down from his box, walks over, kicks me up the a**e and says "Get this baaaaaarstard out of moy soight" in his silly accent.So they kicked me out of the ground, no arrest, and I thought I'd try to pay to get in again. The Oxford fans had caused so much mayhem that the turnstile operators had given up and I just walked straight back in without paying to a hero's welcome, and watched us beat Swindon at the County Ground for the first time ever.

Happy days, and as I said before, a totally different era. It makes me realise that today's generation will never have the kind of fun that we had back in the day.

Back
Top Bottom