General Flares... Again...

The ultras groups often communicate to fans when they are likely to occur in advance so anyone can remove themselves temporarily if they feel they might be effected or ensure they sit in a different part of the stadium.

Obviously this should be taken into account if you plan to watch football across Europe or anywhere in the world for that matter, particularly any derbies etc.
Sounds to me as though one grouping of "fans" are dictating to anyone who doesn't think the same as they do.

Or respecting others think differently and giving them the opportunity to avoid the "disruption"?
A disruption caused by the illegal activities of those who are so selfish as to imagine that what they consider right and proper behaviour, gives them the right to inconvenience others.

Surprised there's an argument for flares when we refuse to accept a drum and goal music!

Flares and smokebombs aren't acceptable in football grounds but its an issue that effects all clubs not just OUFC. Let's lead the way amongst other clubs and not see them within our support.

A disruption caused by the illegal activities of those who are so selfish as to imagine that what they consider right and proper behaviour, gives them the right to inconvenience others.
In a nutshell why this would never happen in this country.

With the new ground there should be an opportunity to build a ground that can hold different types of supporters without them getting on each other’s tits. I would like to see an unreserved (hopefully terraced), cheaper area, behind a goal that is specifically for younger boisterous fans, if you go in there and it’s not for you then it’s up to you to move away to another area.
Yes - the home end needs to be unreserved and ideally standing, no advance tickets, twenty quid and you’re in.

This is a topic which really interests me.

Football is a male working class sport based on boisterous male working class behaviour. Going to the football needs to be cheap and "cool" (i.e. there needs to be some element of edge, adrenaline or excitement) otherwise you'll lose that loudest, most passionate element of the fan base.

Our day has come early what with the idiotic banning of ultras, general poor performance over the last 30 years and the Kassam stadium. But we're just an extreme example of how modern pressures can and eventually will kill football "atmosphere".

Once it's gone, it's gone.
The seventies aren’t coming back. If we get a new ground we won’t fill it by only appealing to old style ‘geezers’. It will be in north Oxford and will need to attract a wide range of people.

The seventies aren’t coming back. If we get a new ground we won’t fill it by only appealing to old style ‘geezers’. It will be in north Oxford and will need to attract a wide range of people.
I don't doubt that for a second.

Whether or not that's a good thing for the long term "entertainment value" of the game is another matter.

Flags, noise, language etc are, broadly speaking, not illegal.

Smoke grenades, similar to paintball jobs are harmless, non toxic and not heavy. Cardboard tube - low/minimal burn point - disperse pretty quickly.

Flares on the other hand are different gravy they should be illegal - metal tube, high burn temperature - dangerous in a crowd.

So the majority of "atmosphere inducing" things are not offensive or illegal.

That`s why we have commonly accepted division between different parts of the stadium just as we did at the Manor.

Osler Road/Beech Road terrace - North Stand.
LRT - East Stand
Beech Road/Manor Club seats - SSU.

;)

I don't doubt that for a second.

Whether or not that's a good thing for the long term "entertainment value" of the game is another matter.
I want to feel safe when I go and to know that the woman I go with won’t be disrespected or intimidated. But it has to stay loud and passionate, and not become an American style family event.

I think the issue is that people bringing flairs into the ground are the same people who use foul language and are the same people who are happy to jostle an old man to the ground if we score. If we cut out the pyros, we also cut out the undesirable behavior that goes with them.

I have said this before on here I think, but some of our fans who go behind the goal have got old and grumpy but refuse to accept it. People used to move to the Osler or Beech Road stands at The Manor but at our current ground seem to have just stayed where they are and sucked the life and fun out of the East Stand.

It’s not a crime to be young and boisterous, what some of the moaning old codgers did themselves back in there youth they now complain about others doing and the club are quick to back them up and persecute the east target of young groups of lads.

If I was a teenager now I wouldn’t attend football games, certainly not ours, such a dull sterile environment, I should imagine it’s as attractive to a certain demographic as going to watch lawn bowls but probably not as cool.

It’s alright having cheap deals to attract families but you never really profit if as soon as those kids reach 15/16 (who wants to hang around with their parents at that age) they would rather visit the local library for a better atmosphere so you lose them, possibly forever.

Hopefully the new ground (fingers crossed) is able to better accommodate everyone from raucous youth to miserable old guys than our current three stands situation, other wise I fear for us.

Can I just say I'm old and grumpy but I join in with the chanting.

Oi! Who you calling an old geezer?
I’m okUs old freezers have seen it, done it. Sung it, rumbled it, and s**t it how dare you put us out to pasture.
We get to north Oxford and doubt any of the north Oxford old geezers will be attending as they will be to busy fighting the corners of the immigrants in camps field house, they won’t have time to meet us original old geezers.
Bloody youngsters……

It's like a roundabout many years ago the old people of today were young lively fans just like the young fans of today but in a few years those young fans will be old gits moaning about the youth and the cycle will continue hopefully in our new stadium we can have stands for people who like to be boisterous whether they are young or old and also stands for people who just like to have a chat watch the football and moan 😝
If everyone just respected eachother the world would be a better place

It's like a roundabout many years ago the old people of today were young lively fans just like the young fans of today but in a few years those young fans will be old gits moaning about the youth and the cycle will continue hopefully in our new stadium we can have stands for people who like to be boisterous whether they are young or old and also stands for people who just like to have a chat watch the football and moan 😝
If everyone just respected eachother the world would be a better place
f**k off 😊

I want to feel safe when I go and to know that the woman I go with won’t be disrespected or intimidated. But it has to stay loud and passionate, and not become an American style family event.
My belief is that the two criteria you have laid out in your post are simply irreconcilable.

I think the fact that you reference an "American style family event" suggests that deep down, you know the only events which remain non-intimidatory (and respectful to all) are those American style events.

The last young "atmosphere creating" lads are gone. Atmosphere will continue to dwindle as the families take over.

If you go to any European League (outside Spain and England) the crowd remains young male dominated and in my opinion the atmosphere is mind blowing compared to what we have here.

I suppose I'm classed as old, but I'll tell you what I'm loud & proud ,as when I was in my teens / twenties... I've never got the we're to old to sing.no wonder the atmosphere at the k****m is dire. What do they think it's beneath them to sing & encourage your team to victory..

Back
Top Bottom