Fan's View Fan's View 23/24 - No.7 - Port Vale at home

I thought ThatSlope's analysis on the matchday page was excellent (as did many others!). I understand why Manning will take the hard line with Harris (at least in public): change what you can, learn what you can, don't fret about a referee you can't change. However, it is true that there was a direct link between his poor decisions and the outcome - especially Leigh's first 'yellow card' and the absurd offside decision. I am also old-fashioned enough to hate the fact that their #6 was cheating, and quite deliberately so, and to think that the officials are there to stop cheating. If I were Crosby, I would be embarrassed by what he did. I don't understand those who seem to admire 'the dark arts'.

Paul, you haven't mentioned "that" offside decision. From East stand it looked like, whilst Harris was in an offside position he didn't attempt to play the ball and Tyler G who received the ball was well onside and put a decent cross in across the 6 yard box. The lino was wrong to flag too quickly.
This was a significant turning point in the game as it was one instant we had got behind their defence and the decision going against us seem to rattle us.

For their 1st goal:-
I thought the ball had gone out
Then whether it was a foul to them is 50:50 but the free kick should have been on the touchline, not 8 yards in. The ref should have made sure the kick was taken from the correct place as it was in a position to get the FK in the box as they did.
A PV fan's utube video indicates the scorer may have been a tad offside.
But hey ho only 3 or 4 things the ref/lino possibly wrong there!

Paul, you haven't mentioned "that" offside decision. From East stand it looked like, whilst Harris was in an offside position he didn't attempt to play the ball and Tyler G who received the ball was well onside and put a decent cross in across the 6 yard box. The lino was wrong to flag too quickly.
This was a significant turning point in the game as it was one instant we had got behind their defence and the decision going against us seem to rattle us.
From the SSU my interpretation was that Harris started to run towards the ball with the intention of playing it and at that point the flag went up.
I confess to not knowing the details of the law as it currently stands in this instance.

For their 1st goal:-
I thought the ball had gone out
Then whether it was a foul to them is 50:50 but the free kick should have been on the touchline, not 8 yards in. The ref should have made sure the kick was taken from the correct place as it was in a position to get the FK in the box as they did.
A PV fan's utube video indicates the scorer may have been a tad offside.
But hey ho only 3 or 4 things the ref/lino possibly wrong there!
Have watched the replay. The ball didn't go out of play. The kick wasn't quite in the right place. But we need to learn to defend these better.

I'd be interested to know (though I guess we won't be told) whether there were any instructions from the bench following our goal i.e. were the players told to go for the win or be pragmatic and play to the corners and try to hold what they had? (You allude to this Paul.)

That said, I really don't know which option I'd prefer!

I'd be interested to know (though I guess we won't be told) whether there were any instructions from the bench following our goal i.e. were the players told to go for the win or be pragmatic and play to the corners and try to hold what they had? (You allude to this Paul.)

That said, I really don't know which option I'd prefer!
With 9 men based on a potential risk and reward analysis I'd go for the draw every time. A little different with 10 but based on the way the game was going I'd settle for the point.

From the SSU my interpretation was that Harris started to run towards the ball with the intention of playing it and at that point the flag went up.
I confess to not knowing the details of the law as it currently stands in this instance.

Yup. That's how I saw it. And yes again, I don't know the details either. I think the law is an ass in being over-complicated.

Harris's actions certainly had an impact on the attack.

Actually felt a bit sorry for the officials at this particular point.

(Roughly parallel NS view)

Excellent read as usual Paul & I agree with you that Finn Stevens was (very) disappointing. Architects of our own downfall ... quite.

Yup. That's how I saw it. And yes again, I don't know the details either. I think the law is an ass in being over-complicated.

Harris's actions certainly had an impact on the attack.

Actually felt a bit sorry for the officials at this particular point.

(Roughly parallel NS view)
I long for the days when offside was simpler and required the striker to be nearer the goal than the last defender when the pass was played.

The ball was played towards him though, the fact that he knew that he was standing offside and just stepped over it may still be deemed as being active.

The ball was played towards him though, the fact that he knew that he was standing offside and just stepped over it may still be deemed as being active.

All refereeing decisions are subjective to a degree but the off-side rule is one where this could be reduced.

It should.

I've never liked the 'interfering with play' rule. If you are in an offside position, I don't care if you are out on the far side of the pitch picking your own a**e miles away from play, it's offside.

I've never liked the 'interfering with play' rule. If you are in an offside position, I don't care if you are out on the far side of the pitch picking your own a**e miles away from play, it's offside.
It was certainly simpler back then.

Back
Top Bottom