Fan's View Fan's View 23/24 - No.43: Port vale away

Another good read Paul. Interesting to see that their attendance was less than the number of ST’s sold. Are they only club who actually announce the attendance of the people who have come through the gate rather than actual tickets sold?

On the accent front, having lived up north for so long, going to games now I notice the accent more but I still never see it as posh and you get more of a proper Oxfordshire accent which is a bit more West Country/London (depending which side of Oxford people are from) than posh.

Nice to read about a decent performance and a win Mr B.

I have a feeling accent-wise there's a bit of posh vs southern going on. The general accent around Oxfordshire nowadays is a bland southern thing. The accent at OUFC matches is Oxford, more so in the Blackbird iirc. Not posh.

Good stuff. Enjoyed reading about the interactions with the home fans before the game.

Ive noticed over the years that theres a bit of a n Oxford' city' accent - usually but not exclusively from those from within the ring road, as well as an Oxford 'shire accent, slightly identifiable if you can be bothered to listen for the subtle differences.

Over the years on me travels Ive been accused of sounding posh, sounding like a cockney and sounding like a yokel by different people in different parts of the country. At times, and also once or twice had the 'accusation' of all three over the same weekend

Ive noticed over the years that theres a bit of a n Oxford' city' accent - usually but not exclusively from those from within the ring road, as well as an Oxford 'shire accent, slightly identifiable if you can be bothered to listen for the subtle differences.

Over the years on me travels Ive been accused of sounding posh, sounding like a cockney and sounding like a yokel by different people in different parts of the country. At times, and also once or twice had the 'accusation' of all three over the same weekend

The same, I have been asked if I come from Cornwall, called a cockney and told I must be posh, it gets a bit confusing. Also had someone refuse to believe I was from Oxford once as his daughter went to university there and he had visited a few times, I did point out he probably didn't actually meet a local but he didn't look like he was having it.

I can't find it now but somewhere on the internet a few months ago was a well written article about Port Vale and Burslem. As you say it was pretty depressing seeing boarded up houses and shops and manufacturing businesses much of the way in the taxi from Stoke to Burslem. Not dissimilar to Blackpool, and even Wycombe's centre looked run down. I suppose even in leafy Guildford, we have lost both big department stores - House of Fraser and Debenhams. The local council were hoping for a regeneration of one side of town to be headed up with a big John Lewis, but I doubt John Lewis are that keen anymore.

Anway, a good day out, for once all of my trains ran on time and had plenty of space. We sneaked into the "no football fans" Titanic BoD bar at Crewe station by claiming we were off to the Midlands Grand National at Uttoxeter. Two Norwich fans with yellow and green scarf, and a yellow and green fancy dress wig were not so lucky.

Taxi to the Bulls Head, which as stated by PB was open to both sets of fans. A good range of beers from the Titanic range and others, and a decent barbecue outside.

As for the match, we've been moved to the other end to last time, which doesn't have great facilities and a large pillar blocking a good bit of the pitch so at one point our player went behind the pillar with the ball only for a Vale player to emerge with it on the other side.

Two good goals. The worked short corner seemed straight from the coaching manual of "possession is better than hoofing the ball into the box".

Half time was odd with two sets of catering, one just behind the stand, and another set down a set of steps with a german style sausage cart and a bar with a couple of lagers. Makes a change from the grounds with just burgers, rollover hotdogs and pukka pies.

Got back to BoD with time for a quick Plum Porter, and results went our way for a change and we are just in the last play-off spot, but with four others just behind.

I can't find it now but somewhere on the internet a few months ago was a well written article about Port Vale and Burslem. As you say it was pretty depressing seeing boarded up houses and shops and manufacturing businesses much of the way in the taxi from Stoke to Burslem. Not dissimilar to Blackpool, and even Wycombe's centre looked run down. I suppose even in leafy Guildford, we have lost both big department stores - House of Fraser and Debenhams. The local council were hoping for a regeneration of one side of town to be headed up with a big John Lewis, but I doubt John Lewis are that keen anymore.

Anway, a good day out, for once all of my trains ran on time and had plenty of space. We sneaked into the "no football fans" Titanic BoD bar at Crewe station by claiming we were off to the Midlands Grand National at Uttoxeter. Two Norwich fans with yellow and green scarf, and a yellow and green fancy dress wig were not so lucky.

Taxi to the Bulls Head, which as stated by PB was open to both sets of fans. A good range of beers from the Titanic range and others, and a decent barbecue outside.

As for the match, we've been moved to the other end to last time, which doesn't have great facilities and a large pillar blocking a good bit of the pitch so at one point our player went behind the pillar with the ball only for a Vale player to emerge with it on the other side.

Two good goals. The worked short corner seemed straight from the coaching manual of "possession is better than hoofing the ball into the box".

Half time was odd with two sets of catering, one just behind the stand, and another set down a set of steps with a german style sausage cart and a bar with a couple of lagers. Makes a change from the grounds with just burgers, rollover hotdogs and pukka pies.

Got back to BoD with time for a quick Plum Porter, and results went our way for a change and we are just in the last play-off spot, but with four others just behind.

Haven’t House Of Fraser and Debenhams shut down everywhere?

All town centres look a bit run down now, either boarded up or the same few shops repeating (coffee shops, phone shops etc) as more shopping has moved online and to retail parks that was always going to happen. I even thought Oxford Street looked like it had been affected when I went there in November.

On leafy Guildford, I went that way to Portsmouth, had a wait between trains so thought I would grab a pint and some breakfast at the Weatherspoons over the road, put my paper down on a table while I went over to the bar to order and when I came back about 30 seconds later some fucker had nicked it, the place is a crime ridden shithole in my opinion now.

Back
Top Bottom