Fan's View Fan's View 23/24 - No.39: Orient at home

I'm sure it's a good read as always, but I just can't go there I'm afraid. I expect that the FV after a disappointing defeat always has fewer reads than one after a win...

Read it. I agree with everything you say. I like the Dub podcast but the most recent one felt like an excuse-a-thon for Des.

You echo exactly my thoughts. I bood at the end and was perplexed by anyone clapping.

A waste of a season. Same mistakes, week after week.

On a side note we often heard from KR how he'd had a supportive conversation with Tiger who did attend a lot of games +other board people which might have been a lot of BS but we don't hear from Des what support he's been getting from up top in these difficult times.

I didn't boo at the end. I just shook my head and wandered off, guiltily grateful that I can't go to Portsmouth. Which is probably worse.

I agree wholeheartedly with your assessment of how we've stagnated under Buckingham. I cannot concur with this expected goals nonsense that so many people (I'm looking at you Elek) are spouting. Fair enough, we were statistically overperforming at the start of the season. But that does not mean a downturn was due! Surely if you have a confident team that's clicked together, where everything they seem to touch turns to gold, that gives them more confidence to create chances? The expected goals may have improved in the second half of the season, rather than the form slumping. We will never know, but it certainly wasn't a given.

I agree wholeheartedly with your assessment of how we've stagnated under Buckingham. I cannot concur with this expected goals nonsense that so many people (I'm looking at you Elek) are spouting. Fair enough, we were statistically overperforming at the start of the season. But that does not mean a downturn was due! Surely if you have a confident team that's clicked together, where everything they seem to touch turns to gold, that gives them more confidence to create chances? The expected goals may have improved in the second half of the season, rather than the form slumping. We will never know, but it certainly wasn't a given.
The "drop off was inevitable!" Argument is absolute codswallop.

I've had a full-on few days and barely thought about the football.

Reading that's made me all angry again.

My theory is that every coach has to do the same UEFA coaching badges, and follow the same coaching "rule book".
and that Buckingham follows it to a tee.
So keeping possession is better than not.
Leads to passing the ball from the back, or if under pressure, then back to the goalkeeper.
So we don't see GKs booting the ball up the pitch anymore.
We also see our attacks petering out and the ball goes all the way back to Cummings.

I think the players don't believe in this, but have to follow the tactics.
We also see all of our players back in the box or thereabouts to defend a free kick or corner, leaving nobody up front if we do clear the ball. Leads to the ball coming straight back at us again.

I haven't watched the highlights, but felt Orient were unlucky not to get a penalty in the first half. Maybe someone else could explain why as it looked a blatant foul in the box by us.

One of the awful things which the RadOx team called the earthquake was on 90 minutes when three Orient players went down injured all at the same time with nobody near them. Stevenage tactics to a tee. Is there some new rule that players have to leave the pitch for at least 30 seconds after treatment. And why didn't the ref book them for simulation?

My theory is that every coach has to do the same UEFA coaching badges, and follow the same coaching "rule book".
Leads to passing the ball from the back, or if under pressure, then back to the goalkeeper.
We also see our attacks petering out and the ball goes all the way back to Cummings.

We also see all of our players back in the box or thereabouts to defend a free kick or corner, leaving nobody up front if we do clear the ball. Leads to the ball coming straight back at us again.

I haven't watched the highlights, but felt Orient were unlucky not to get a penalty in the first half. Maybe someone else could explain why as it looked a blatant foul in the box by us.

One of the awful things which the RadOx team called the earthquake was on 90 minutes when three Orient players went down injured all at the same time with nobody near them. Stevenage tactics to a tee. Is there some new rule that players have to leave the pitch for at least 30 seconds after treatment. And why didn't the ref book them for simulation?

It looked a blatant penalty from where I am in the east stand and everyone around me seemed to agree.

At the start of the season the referees were hot on time wasting. Then as we all expected it was all forgotten about. Same old inconsistent refereeing we see every season.

The "drop off was inevitable!" Argument is absolute codswallop.
Of course there is no way of proving that one way or the other, which also makes your statement codswallop. One day we will be able to jump to other worlds in the multiverse and settle these kinds of arguments for good.

Ye gods and little fishes! This one must be REALLY depressing, as my computer refuses to even open it. Anything wrong your end, Paul?

Of course there is no way of proving that one way or the other, which also makes your statement codswallop. One day we will be able to jump to other worlds in the multiverse and settle these kinds of arguments for good.
In order for the drop off to be inevitable, it would have to happen in every single one of the other worlds in the multiverse. Which would take a lot of jumping.

In order for the drop off to be inevitable, it would have to happen in every single one of the other worlds in the multiverse. Which would take a lot of jumping.
Well WY had better get a wriggle on then...

No. But possibly think yourself lucky.
The trouble is that I always copy and send it to friends...who will be waiting impatiently. I wonder whether I can send without actually reading?????

I really do appreciate your reports, though--they're so well written and give me a different perspective on the games, even though I always watch on iFollow. So, many thanks!!

It's not. Very few things in life are "inevitable" least of all the drop in form of a football club.

Back
Top Bottom