Fan's View Fan's View 23/24 - No.20: Bolton at home

The one that everybody has been waiting for after @Colin B comments…
And he did not disappoint! (Toughsheet - indeed!)

And @Paul B wasn't it noticeable that Mr Purkis avoided any mention in despatches! I thought he managed to keep himself fairly invisible. Still missed, or ignored (?) the shirt pulling but otherwise kept order. What a difference when two footballing sides play each other.

Good write up as usual Paul.

Is the stadium really going to be called the Toughsheet Stadium?

Interesting analysis Colin. It really highlights how the new Stadium with hotel could transform the clubs finances. It will be intersting to understand how the finances on the new stadium will be structured ( hotel, stadium and catering/ other events).
This does of course, depend on crowds growing significantly when there is a 16k stadium and, as you suggest, the communication and relationship between the club and supporters is vital.

Has it been stated that the club will benefit in any way shape or form from the hotel? Not being funny in any way just surely thats where the investers will make their money? Hopefully there will be 100% clarity beforehand on all these aspects unlike last time where we were sold the dream of all parts of the kassam/ grenoble Rd supporting the club.

Good write up as usual Paul.

Is the stadium really going to be called the Toughsheet Stadium?

Interesting analysis Colin. It really highlights how the new Stadium with hotel could transform the clubs finances. It will be intersting to understand how the finances on the new stadium will be structured ( hotel, stadium and catering/ other events).
This does of course, depend on crowds growing significantly when there is a 16k stadium and, as you suggest, the communication and relationship between the club and supporters is vital.
Bolton's stadium is already called the Toughsheet Community Stadium under their new five year naming rights deal.

The commercial projections for our new stadium were very detailed and took into account all elements, such as GA, Premium GA and boxes, naming rights, perimeter and scoreboard advertising, match day F&B, concessions, conference and banqueting, hotel, and lettable space, as the income streams produced by the stadium. Other income streams such as shirt sponsorship, retail, EFL income, academy grants, general sponsorships, player trading etc were not included. The stadium income would have paid for the stadium, while leaving a comfortable amount left to go towards running the club, and a range of repayment terms were looked at from 10 to 25 years. Although interest rates were much lower then, a rate was used for these calculations that was not too far away from today's rates. None of this included any capital injection from selling the hotel operating rights, selling the long term lease on the lettable space, a one off naming rights deal (ie 10 years up front) or indeed any capital injection from our owners. It was based on average attendances of 12,000/13,000. All in all, it was very robust and achievable.

I have no idea if this is still the case, and I know the build cost has increased significantly. It concerns me that we are not being given even a broad brush of the business plan by the people running the club/stadium project.

It further concerns me that our supporters trust either haven't asked these questions. Have asked them and have not been told the answers. Or have asked, have been told, but have not relayed this information to the wider fanbase.

Last edited:
Bolton's stadium is already called the Toughsheet Community Stadium under their new five year naming rights deal.

The commercial projections for our new stadium were very detailed and took into account all elements, such as GA, Premium GA and boxes, naming rights, perimeter and scoreboard advertising, match day F&B, concessions, conference and banqueting, hotel, and lettable space, as the income streams produced by the stadium. Other income streams such as shirt sponsorship, retail, EFL income, academy grants, general sponsorships, player trading etc were not included. The stadium income would have paid for the stadium, while leaving a comfortable amount left to go towards running the club, and a range of repayment terms were looked at from 10 to 25 years. Although interest rates were much lower then, a rate was used for these calculations that was not too far away from today's rates. None of this included any capital injection from selling the hotel operating rights, selling the long term lease on the lettable space, a one off naming rights deal (ie 10 years up front) or indeed any capital injection from our owners. It was based on average attendances of 12,000/13,000. All in all, it was very robust and achievable.

I have no idea if this is still the case, and I know the build cost has increased significantly. It concerns me that we are not being given even a broad brush of the business plan by the people running the club/stadium project.

It further concerns me that our supporters trust either haven't asked these questions. Have asked them and have not been told the answers. Or have asked, have been told, but have not relayed this information to the wider fanbase.
GA? F&B? They are 'Goals Against' and 'Frankie & Benny's' to me...

GA? F&B? They are 'Goals Against' and 'Frankie & Benny's' to me...
Sorry, thought everyone had read enough stadium updates to know what these abbreviations meant, by now? General Admission and Food & Beverage.

Sorry, thought everyone had read enough stadium updates to know what these abbreviations meant, by now? General Admission and Food & Beverage.
Well they are bloody obvious now you've spelt them out to me... I'm obviously too deep in my coding this morning, my brain just couldn't work them out!!! Thanks.

Incidentally our Goals Against column is pretty good so far this season.

Anyone know how our Premium Goals Against looks?

I am not sure that I had heard that before.
Really interesting stuff and very positive ( although as you suggest, prices will have gone up)
The general questions/ comments I had heard ( from those not ITK), was that the owners would be paying £100m + , and why would they do that?
This gives a very different perspective on that.

Back
Top Bottom