Fan's View Fan's View 22/23 - No.11 - Plymouth away

The "when Saturday comes" feeling is just not there at our club at the moment, not just on the pitch either, Yet another really good fans view.

Things definitely don’t feel right at the club.

I’m probably going to take a hammering for this but as far as the owners are concerned, it’s great that they have this vision for SB, and also the investment in the training ground and player recruitment (although allowing KR to spend it is another matter…) But… so many other things through the summer weren’t so good, such as the commercial side, tickets and problems with sponsorship and kit etc.

Add to that the glaring need for a DoF that isn’t being addressed and, unless I’ve missed it, key positions in the academy that still need filling, and it seems there are several problems with the infrastructure at the club at the moment. Is that a fair comment?

Things definitely don’t feel right at the club.

I’m probably going to take a hammering for this but as far as the owners are concerned, it’s great that they have this vision for SB, and also the investment in the training ground and player recruitment (although allowing KR to spend it is another matter…) But… so many other things through the summer weren’t so good, such as the commercial side, tickets and problems with sponsorship and kit etc.

Add to that the glaring need for a DoF that isn’t being addressed and, unless I’ve missed it, key positions in the academy that still need filling, and it seems there are several problems with the infrastructure at the club at the moment. Is that a fair comment?
I think that is a very fair comment.

Perhaps it is just me but the commercial side look way out of touch with your average supporter.

"The U's take on Milton Keynes Dons in Sky Bet League 1 next Saturday for the dedicated #HerGameToo fixture and the club’s Matchday Restaurant is open for you to upgrade your Season Ticket and enjoy United's hospitality.

Ahead of kick-off, restaurant guests will hear exclusively from both a player from the men’s and women’s first team giving their insights into how their seasons have started, as well as the importance of the #HerGameToo campaign.

Following the conclusion of the game, you will then have access to the Man of the Match presentation inside the suite, where you will hear the thoughts of the chosen player first-hand.

Click the first button below for full package details, then use the second button to upgrade your Season Ticket for just £50. "

The full package includes:
- Two course meal
• Premium seat in South Stand Upper
• Programme and teamsheet
• Half-time tea and coffee
• Q&A with OUFC Men and Women Players
• Cash-bar facility
• Man of the Match presentation post-match

I have a seat in the SSU premier section as it is. For non-season ticket holders the cost is £80. I find this embarrassing at a time when household budgets are stretched. There is one and only one product that really matters and that is the performance of the team on the pitch and we're not getting any value from that at the moment.

I wonder what the take up has been.

Perhaps it is just me but the commercial side look way out of touch with your average supporter.

"The U's take on Milton Keynes Dons in Sky Bet League 1 next Saturday for the dedicated #HerGameToo fixture and the club’s Matchday Restaurant is open for you to upgrade your Season Ticket and enjoy United's hospitality.

Ahead of kick-off, restaurant guests will hear exclusively from both a player from the men’s and women’s first team giving their insights into how their seasons have started, as well as the importance of the #HerGameToo campaign.

Following the conclusion of the game, you will then have access to the Man of the Match presentation inside the suite, where you will hear the thoughts of the chosen player first-hand.

Click the first button below for full package details, then use the second button to upgrade your Season Ticket for just £50. "

- Two course meal
• Cash-bar facility

I have a seat in the SSU premier section as it is. For non-season ticket holders the cost is £80. I find this embarrassing at a time when household budgets are stretched. There is one and only one product that really matters and that is the performance of the team on the pitch and we're not getting any value from that at the moment.

£80 is mind boggling when you consider the fare that’s being served up on the field at the moment..

- Two course meal
• Cash-bar facility

The club persevere with the restaurant package and, to be fair, they do get a fairly good turnout. Is it value for money? Certainly not. The two course meal is generally of a low standard, cook from frozen type main course with a Brake Brothers style dessert. The cost is down to the catering being provided by Firoka (Kassam) and they charge silly money. The seats are up at the back of the SSU behind the directors box so, if you already have a premium seat in the SSU, no better, possibly worse.
The plus side is the comfort pre and post match and, of course, at half time. Access to the bar, warm and cleaner toilets (with hot water) and no turnstile to negotiate on entry.
I'm surprised that the #HerGameToo activities are advertised as they have been postponed to reflect the passing of Queen Elizabeth. Perhaps that is something special just for the restaurant?

I find it hard to get worked up about these restaurant deals tbh. If it works and there are people out there with £50 to spend on it then fair enough. It's not the core product and it's a personal choice. I can get more animated about the high ticket prices for third division football! Every fan needs a ticket, after all.

I'm just a little sad that we have had 20 years at Grenoble Road without an affordable bar/food/tv lounge option where you can get a drink and a bite to eat in convivial surroundings without emptying your bank account, but perhaps I'm behind the times and folk don't want that any more?

I find it hard to get worked up about these restaurant deals tbh. If it works and there are people out there with £50 to spend on it then fair enough. It's not the core product and it's a personal choice. I can get more animated about the high ticket prices for third division football! Every fan needs a ticket, after all.

I'm just a little sad that we have had 20 years at Grenoble Road without an affordable bar/food/tv lounge option where you can get a drink and a bite to eat in convivial surroundings without emptying your bank account, but perhaps I'm behind the times and folk don't want that any more?

The facilities are no better than the Manor for your average paying customer, perhaps worse, it has been a disaster of a move.

The ground isn’t everything about the day out at football, so I will be sad for the memories and good times with my mates, but moving can’t come soon enough.

My mate calls the concourse ‘the world’s worst pub’. We arrive at 14.50 and leave straight away after giving the players and Karl a clap as they walk round.

There was a time, and it was a short period, when the Manor Lounge and the Maurice Evans Lounge allowed the patrons to buy food from Farr's on the concourse and take said food into the lounges. That was then deemed against the rules and we were left with nothing. Then the move to the 1893 club saw us all grouped together in what is now the restaurant.
Being able to buy a pie from Farr's and enjoy the pre-match atmosphere with friends in a convivial area was an attractive offer, added to that half time tea/coffee and a warm respite was a recipe for success. Sadly, Firoka hiked the prices and it became uneconomical for the club.
All this coupled with the inability of the club to actually market or even research a decent alternative has seen the demise of any kind of arrangement other than the restaurant at the exorbitant rate of £80 a game (£50 for season ticket holders) Both OxVox and Supporters Panel have voiced concerns to no avail.

There was a time, and it was a short period, when the Manor Lounge and the Maurice Evans Lounge allowed the patrons to buy food from Farr's on the concourse and take said food into the lounges. That was then deemed against the rules and we were left with nothing. Then the move to the 1893 club saw us all grouped together in what is now the restaurant.
Being able to buy a pie from Farr's and enjoy the pre-match atmosphere with friends in a convivial area was an attractive offer, added to that half time tea/coffee and a warm respite was a recipe for success. Sadly, Firoka hiked the prices and it became uneconomical for the club.
All this coupled with the inability of the club to actually market or even research a decent alternative has seen the demise of any kind of arrangement other than the restaurant at the exorbitant rate of £80 a game (£50 for season ticket holders) Both OxVox and Supporters Panel have voiced concerns to no avail.
So
OGB strikes again is there nothing that man wants more than to see the demise of this great club

So
OGB strikes again is there nothing that man wants more than to see the demise of this great club
This is why when we move to the new stadium, there will have to be some real thought given to the grass roots supporters and what they really want from the ground.

This is why when we move to the new stadium, there will have to be some real thought given to the grass roots supporters and what they really want from the ground.

There’s good money to be made in decent, normal bars around the new ground, drinks, food and sport on tv in a decent environment (doesn’t have to be the Ritz but some seats, a lick of paint and not freezing your a**e off isn’t to much to ask) will see people turn up earlier.

Back
Top Bottom